1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

proper crush

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by hopdog09, Jan 24, 2013.

1. after reading many posts on mills and how one sets the rollers on their mills...the question arises..what is the proper crush..what do you use and why.
  2. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (730) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

IMO The proper crush is that one that, in your system, gets you reasonable and consistent efficiency, without stuck sparges, and without excessive astringency. IOW, YMMV.

I couldn't tell you what my gap is set at. Well, I could if I remembered.
    sarcastro and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  3. I have been buying pre-crushed up to this point, but the mill I just got is factory set at .039" (1mm)
    Who knows what retailers are crushing at...seems to vary a lot.

Might need to reset or grind twice for something like wheat.
  4. Below is from the Schmidling website concerning the Schmidling Maltmill:

“The MALTMILL is provided with a nominal spacing of .045" between the rollers. This produces an excellent crush on all commonly used malt. An adjustable version is available for those who perceive the need for additional flexibility . The roller journals ride in oil-impregnated bronze bearings, pressed into aluminum castings. A coarse textured surface on the rollers prevents the grain from slipping and is the key to providing an efficient mill at far less cost then conventional multiple stage roller mills.”

Cheers!
  5. I'm not very hip..what's IOW, YMMV??
    But, I agree..it seems to be on a case by case basiis..I know if I get grains milled at my local HBS..it's too fine..I was always under the impression that all tha needed to happen is to break/crack the husk..not pulverize..so open up your gap to achieve that..does that sound about right?
  6. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (730) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

"In Other Words"
    "Your Mileage May Vary"

I'd say your description is on the right track.
    hopdog09 likes this.
  7. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

Vikeman said it best... but to expand...

Don't get hung up on "too fine" if you're getting good results. There's nothing wrong with flour if your not getting astringency or stuck mashes. I personally make flour, but my mill and my mash tun are different than yours.

You have to find your own sweet spot for your mill and mash tun and preferences. Once you get to that spot you should have a reasonable efficiency that you can repeat and use to formulate recipes.
  8. it's kind of what I figured
    thanks!
  9. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

inchrisin likes this.
  10. Just make sure if you buy a Barley Crusher that you remove the O-ring that it looks like they used to set the gap. I didn't see it and milled a # of Caramunich that I should probably throw away now (even though the O-ring is still shiny and intact). Dooh!

Looking at the instructions closely, the O-ring appears to be part of the roller that is attached to the handle...so maybe I shouldn't remove it. The pix in the instructions showed it way at the end opposite the handle, but mine came in the middle. Anyone know for sure?
  11. It is on the side normally, and utterly irrelevant, as pulling grain through will cause it to spin the slave.
  12. So...get rid of it?
  13. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (480) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Leave it. Dont worry, it will eventual fall off. Then you just continue on just like you did before.
    kjyost likes this.
  14. Don't particularly want ground up rubber in my beer though (even though it looks fine now with only 1# thru it).
    I've got 100#s of pre-milled grain to go thru anyway, so I guess it is RAHAHB
  15. I didn't notice when I lost it. I am pretty sure it just rips in one place and falls into your grain in one piece. What is RAHAHB? I always thought it was RDWHAHB :)
  16. probably...but "relax and have a homebrew" works for me : ) Cheers, eh.

Edit: forgot what the "DW" was for...drink whatever?...don't worry?...seems redundant : )
  17. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I use the credit card gap. It's convenient. I guess you could use a half dollar or feeler gague.
    I just learned what SMH stands for tonight. :)
  18. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (320) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

My mill is the infamous Barley Crusher.
    Factory gnomes set the gap @ 0.039" which just so happens to be the same priceless width as a credit card.
    39 does a decent job but IMO 36 is more better.
    IIRC YMMV!

ROTFHAHB.

Some day...take notice of the difference in crush character when the grains are milled using a high-speed power drill vice hand-cranking. The difference is noticeable.

Power cranking produces more flour and GITMO-style husk.
    Hand cranking produces less flour and huskier husk.
  19. using lower RPM's on the drill helps too
  20. mattbk

mattbk Savant (390) New York Dec 12, 2011

we've all made an o-ring beer. it's a rite of passage for homebrewers.
  21. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (320) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

True'dat but my drill is old-school with two speeds - full-on and full-stop.
  22. understood...