1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pros and cons to aging high abv beers

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by AlaskanYoung, Jan 28, 2013.

1. I just picked up a sink the bismark and a tactical nuclear penguin and didnt want to dive right into them. Was thinking of holding on to them for a bit, would aging either of these two beers for a year or so do anything good to the brew?

2. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

How would you know if youve never had them fresh? No brewery produces a product that they feel shouldnt be consumed upon release.

If you want to cellar aomething, buy 2

jglowe77 likes this.
  3. Shit, man. There are high abv beers, and then there are the ones you are talking about. My feeling is you could lose them in a shipwreck and they'd still be good in a hundred years.

But seriously, unless you have some to drink now and some to put away OR easy access to the same beer in a couple years (to compare), my rule of thumb is to drink now!

4. It would be nice to have one to compare it too. Usually aging will mellow out the heat that most high ABV beers have. Without anything to compare it to, a tactical nuclear penguin after a year will probably still seem to pack a lot of heat due to the huge ABV.

5. Save them until someone wants to drink them, then open them.

Boom.

problem solved.

clubarsky91 likes this.
  6. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

What he said.

7. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

The Abyss has a "best after" date a year from the release although you can drink it whenever you want and it will still taste good.

as suggested, buy more than one (when possible) drink it fresh and age some.

if you can only get one bottle, drink it whenever you want to (fresh or aged).

8. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Is that why Tomme Arthur told me to age my Veritas 011 AT LEAST a year?

Hoozierdaddy likes this.
  9. CON.....HAVE TO WAIT TO DRINK!

10. yea, Dark Lord needs time, and its still not the greatest beer. I just had a damn near 6 year old one today, and only enjoyed it slightly more than fresh.

11. JW Lees Harvest Ale needs at least 5 years on it before I consider it to be drinkable.

12. What about rochefort?

13. With the beers mentioned, that would be somewhere around $400. Totally worth it.

14. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Im going to stop posting on a heavy consumption night. That is all :)

15. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

No, he said that so it would have a chance to carbonate. ;)

16. Resuin

Resuin Champion (805) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

Do high ABV beers like this actually lose alcohol with aging? E.g. would a 25% beer go down to 20% after a couple years? I know that the alcohol is better hidden in aged beers but I wasn't sure if the taste just changed or if there was actually less alcohol in it? Might be a dumb question, but I wasn't sure.

17. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

No.

claspada likes this.
  18. YoDude

YoDude Aficionado (170) Illinois Nov 21, 2008

You can age beers that are either bottle conditioned or over 8% ABV. You can also try to age fruit or spiced beers. If you want to age a beer, then definitely by several at one time. This way you can drink one fresh, take notes, and compare with what you aged. As you only have one, drink it. If you like it, go buy several more and start aging. Try it again in 6 months or 2 years. It might get better or it might not. Share your aged beer with friends. This way if it goes bad, you don't have to drink the entire bottle by yourself. If that happens, hopefully your friends brought beer.

19. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

These beers are different as they are basically in the spirits realm of ABV being 32% (Tactical Nuclear Penguin) and 41% (Sink the Bismarck!). Holding onto them for a year or two wont change any of the flavors all that much, if at all. The alcohol heat may smooth out slightly, but being as high as they are I doubt it.

Also, they can be open, re-capped and "enjoyed" at a later date with out much deterrence to flavor just like you can with a beer like Sam Adams Utopias. These beers come with a rubber cap around the neck for this exact purpose.

[​IMG]

JustXBeer likes this.
  20. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

No amount of aging will transform those novelty brews into something tasty if you ask me.

21. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Savant (255) Georgia Jul 16, 2011

I have had 2 bottles of STB one 6 months or so old and the other super fresh and since it's an ipa it deffintally was hopier and imo better fresh, so id go ahead and drink tht one. On the TNP I've only had it once so I cant comment on that but I've been temped to get another bottle to sit on for a while.

22. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

Pros to cellaring these brews: they may improve; cons: cellaring is like heroin- nobody does it just once.