1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Provincial Liquor Mark-Up Fee - Crossing the Border

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JonnyBeers, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Total value I estimated at 300 dollars. It varied in terms of what i brought, from average priced craft beers like new glarus and ale asylum stuff to the bomber bottled DIPA and barley wines.
    I think it could have been slightly cheaper, since some of the 6 packs i drank half while there, noted on receipts but don't know how well they paid attention to that. Either way, lesson learned, if i'm going to go over then it's only going to be 12 max or so. Good thing is that this haul will last me 6 months at least. Staying positive! :)

2. According to Appendix B on this Government Form, MB is only 4 cents/oz. provincial markup. Unfortunately it doesn't give a $ amount for actual 'duty', which is NOT the same thing as markup. Duty is caculated on volume as far as I know. Tax would just be the usual GST/HST/PST based on actual cost.

If I were you I'd take the receipt from the 1st time (when it was cheap) every time you cross the border and show it to them if they try and rip you off. Remember everyone, you pay Tax, Duty, AND Markup...

Appendix B: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-3-6-eng.html#_a13

3. Speaking from an Ontario perspective (there could be provincnial differences) you got completely hosed. That is over 100% in total duties. It should be around 30%

I bet they screwed up. When they enter the volume in the system, they enter it in hectolitres, so they have to convert your volume in litres to hectolitres when they enter it. They can screw this up, especially if it is a new person. I had this happen to me once. But I realized it right away when my duty on $200 of beer came out to $225. I politely informed him that he must have made a mistake in the calculation. It turned it he was new and he called over another person who fixed his data entry mistake and my duty was corrected to about $55 I believe.

It is important to have a good idea what your duty should be becuase mistakes can be made.

4. This has gotten me a bit concerned. I live in NS so I typically cross the border in NB. NB has insane markup of 82%, which I assume I would have to pay rather than the NS rate. Is that correct? Second, if I am out of country for 48 hours, and I exceed the duty free allowance, can I claim the most expensive beer as my duty free allowance and pay the duty, etc. on the least expensive beer? Anyone know?

5. Yes you can, provided that the cost of the beer does not exceed your $800 48-hour exemption for total goods.

6. Someone messed up, it always comes out to about a third (33%) or so for me, regardless of what I bring, and I've brought a lot across. As mentioned, they use hectolitres, which means you need to watch them. Once my duty coming back from Florida was around $22,000. Turns out the guy entered my litres amount into the field without converting...

7. Some provinces place more duty on the volume so keep an eye on the calculation, or better yet have it ready for them in hectolitres, in BC it's mostly based on price 55% markup plus 12% HST (and they have the balls to charge HST on the markup...), so minimum yur paying about 70%. If I'm over my limit I always place the most expensive ones in a 'duty-free' box

8. That's better than here i guess. No limit is great and all, but when i'm paying 100-125% per bottle i'd much rather have a slight bottle limit with a lower markup than unlimited. The most i ever really want to go over it about 20-40 12oz bottles really. I went all out(ish) this last time because i had different expectations set.