1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

PSA: Deep Ellum Dream Crusher on tap at FS SA

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by mhenson42, Mar 28, 2012.

1. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (595) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Nice to try a new Texas brew here in San Antonio. Not a bad Imperial IPA

2. SSW117

SSW117 Aficionado (165) Texas Jan 21, 2009

Tasty beer. Nice moves Team San Antonio

3. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Drink it up! The brewer told me they lose money making it, so I dont know that it will be back again "as is"

4. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Hmmm, I only need one more beer to lock up my third plate. Great timing!

5. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (595) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Well. I just so happens that my buddy brought me a bottle of this stuff today as well. It was $18 for a bomber in Dallas. Kind of pricey - not sure how they are losing money on that. Now that I got to try it on tap, I'm probably gonna trade it or save it for a bottle share.

6. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

When you think about how they lost money, you have to consider the fact that it was double dry-hopped. Its a big beer with a lot of hops and it occupies a tank for a long time. For a small brewery, in particular, that holds up a schedule and adds to the cost by reducing output.

Most Dream Crusher was kegged. Only a few bottles were filled. I think they only bottled 300 bottles - all by hand with a Blichmann beer gun. So those are going to be expensive.

I understand that they have purchased a bottling line, but I it has not been delivered yet.

7. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Plus, factoring in the cost of all those hops, it really is an expensive beer to make. Yes, they mentioned having a bottling line that would be going in, and were hoping to start having output by the Fall.