1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

PseudoSue. The question is not if, but when...

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Ri0, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

It is now in third place of APA's behind the top dog, ZD. Rather amazing considering just how limited it is. It had a few small bottling runs that made it to certain parts of IA, MN, and WI. To have moved already to third by just having kegs and growler fills in IA, and the outskirts of MN and WI lead me to believe that once this is bottled and readily available for trade it will take over the #1 APA spot that is held by ZD.

So, how long will it be? If TG gets bottles rolling in 2014, I think it could make a run by the end of 2015. It sure will be fun to watch.
  2. Never, it is not a better beer than ZD.

Even if TG becomes FFF size they will equalize but PS will not be able to exceed ZD's amount of ratings.
  3. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Agreed. I love Pseudosue, but Zombie Dust is a masterpiece.
  4. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

ZD is a bit more fuller and brighter than pseudoSue. But I venture to call it an IPA rather than APA anyway.

Three Floyds' will always have more hype among craft beer drinkers. Always.
    SkyBlueWaters likes this.
  5. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Toppling Goliath will always have better quality for craft beer drinkers. Always. See Assassin v. Dark Lord..........
    Iowan, jbaker67, SipIt and 5 others like this.
  6. Stevedore

This is BeerAdvocate my friend. And we are talking about hype here. These two things go together hand in hand. :cool:

(For the record, I agree that Assassin >>> Dark Lord even though its not a fair comparison and that TG >>> FFF. I am the furthest thing from a FFF fanboy)
  7. Stevedore

I think a more fair comparison would be MD >>>>>>>>>>> Dark Lord.. since Assassin is barrel-aged.
  8. This!!,
  9. Ri0

Clearly you are forgetting the biggest variable of them all...FIBS! Once they get a taste and can acquire TG beer on a semi consistent basis, they will cast aside 3 Floyds as some has been brewery. FIBS man... Never forget the FIBS; for they are the greatest hype machine in the region.
    HighWine and BrettHead like this.
  10. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

ZD is not the beer it once was (something has changed...just not sure what). Sue easily beats it for me when it comes to all Citra hopped APA. If I was a betting man, I'd put money down that Sue will beat ZD in rating by 7/1/2015.
  11. bnuttz

bnuttz Savant (320) Wisconsin Apr 12, 2004

I think Sue is better, and I can actually get it on a regular basis, so there is that.
    leschkie likes this.
  12. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

Omfg it's alllll good... Can't we all just enjoy the beer?? Offer me Sue? Yes please! Zombie dust? Of course! The beer is good. Drink it!
  13. Ri0

No. Only one beer can be supreme leader of them all. We must have discussion about which one it will be!
  14. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

How do you explain their (TG's) extreme batch variances then? Golden Nugget is a fine example. One batch has excellent clarity, and great taste, the next is like fog and tastes off very slightly.
  15. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

So, does 'off very slightly' still imply good or better than average in your opinion? Extreme batch variance says to me one may be a 10 and the next batch may be like a cat walked up to you, stood on your head and shat on or in your beer.
  16. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

I rate this beer a 3.5 when it is at it's best. When taste is off, and appearance is jacked, it tumbles.
  17. This exactly. I prefer PsuedoSue to Zombie Dust though I still really enjoy Zombie Dust. I strongly agree that ZD should be an IPA based mostly on bitterness levels and its on the cusp of having a bigger body than most APA's. PseudoSue is so drinkable and juicy and so darn citrusy it is just magical and legendary APA. I think PseudoSue is #1 APA hands down.

TG is also the better brewery. I would like to fast forward to a time when TG has expanded and they are cranking out thier beers on a larger scale. I feel that the quality of TG brewery will remain high even when they start cranking out more volume of craft beers!
    AceMaster and leschkie like this.
  18. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (405) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Zombie is awesome! No argument there... Can't wait to side by side these two at Darkness Day! For my money, Pseudo is unmatched. But honestly who cares??? They are both beautiful works of art!
  19. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (410) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

Girlfriend gets back from a trip last night and opens the fridge, and says "What the hell is that, did you buy MORE beer this weekend?"
    Me: " I went to Hudson, picked up 2 bottles of FFF Dreadnaught, NG Raspberry Tart & Serendipity, A NG Sampler and a growler of PseudoSue."
    Her: "Oh, gotcha."
    Pug and Rob-P like this.
  20. Ri0

21. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (505) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Something was buggy with Zombie Dust's rating, it's fixed now. Sue is still in third place.
  22. AnalogErik

My awesome coworker got me a sue bomber from his brother in Iowa. I don't know if I should drink it, or just stare for a while
  23. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (425) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

Drink it now. Stop reading this, seriously - GO NOW! CONSUME!!
    AceMaster, BrettHead and s_wit like this.
  24. AnalogErik

its taunting me. seriously.

Im drinking a deschutes Chasin Freshies to hold me over. but the citra hops.... they call to me......
  25. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Day Tripper >Sue>Dust IMO!
    psychotia and McRyan like this.
  26. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

I disagree with your opinion. But more to point I disagree with you lumping these three together.

Or is Day Tripper all citra hops?
    BrettHead likes this.
  27. Phil_H

Phil_H Savant (300) Wisconsin Jun 4, 2013

While I am a huge fan of Zombie Dust and FFF, I will say that Sue is a better beer in my opinion.
  28. I have loved Zombie Dust from the very first drop I ever tasted. It's one of the few beers that has held up as my beer palate has developed over time. When I recently started hearing claims that Sue was a ZD killer, I had to track some down. Last weekend I finally did get a bottle via trade.

The verdict? Well, damn. From the instant the aroma hit my senses, I knew Sue was going to be very special. And the taste delivered on the that promise. While I wouldn't go so far as to call it a ZD killer, I say it is on equal footing, no doubt about it. Any day I can find and drink either of these brews will be a good day indeed. Cheers!
    McRyan and BottleCaps80 like this.
  29. AnalogErik

I still have yet to have a ZD. Hopefully sometime in the next couple months.
  30. Ri0

Had my first ZD last night at about 20 days old. I couldn't pick a favorite in a blind taste test, because they both are o so special. I will get Sue from time to time, but I won't be getting ZD anytime soon unless I find a mule.
    s_wit likes this.
  31. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Advocate (500) Minnesota May 10, 2009

Agreed, though it's a tasty beer, Day Tripper doesn't taste anything like the Citra pales. The CTZ/Summit in Day Tripper are very obvious to me. Indeed's website says "Willamettes, Cascades, CTZ and Summits".
  32. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

I agree as well, Day Tripper is very tasty. But a bad comparison.
  33. Would love Indeed to be available in lower MN by La Crosse, Day Tripper is one of the APAs I have had this year that really impressed me. I would love to be able to have a 6er of Moon Man, Hopalicious, Day Tripper and Pseudo Sue available in my fridge at all times!

Of course TG would have to switch to 6ers, which I hope they do soon, I have bought the Bombers the last couple of times.... But they are getting bigger now, time for a switch:);)
  34. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

A bad comparison? Why because of the choice in hops? They are all 3 APA, I think it is a fair comparison, and it's only an opinion anyway. So now by your logic it would be in bad taste to compare Pliny and Abrasive?
    mattafett and copslovebeer like this.
  35. dzyneguru

dzyneguru Savant (360) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Zombie Dust blew my mindhole at Darkness Day a few years ago, and I haven't found a beer to compare since. There are many other great pales and IPAs... Moon Man, Hopalicious, and Day Tripper are all great beers. But I'd drive from MN to 3 Floyd's (and I have) to buy a case of ZD. Pseudo Sue is good, but not ZD good.
  36. Ri0

Currently sitting at #2 and inching closer. When's the next bottling take place?
  37. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

They said on facebook that allow with the first xhops they hope to bottle an "old favorite" soon. I am assuming they are talking about Sue, but they could be talking about golden nugget too.
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  38. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Zeelander was supposed to be bottled soon.
    AnalogErik likes this.
  39. AnalogErik

:eek:
  40. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I'm thinking it is Golden Nugget, as Clark did mention that would be bottled in December at some point! Sue OR Nugget....you can't go wrong!
    nickapalooza86 and BrettHead like this.