1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

PseudoSue. The question is not if, but when...

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Ri0, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Ri0

Ri0 Member

Sue is now .07 points from tying ZD with only 665 ratings. #7 Sue could help it move more quickly, because damn is it good.
  2. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Member

I've drank a bunch of both these beers recently (all less than two weeks old), and to me PseudoSue is well above ZD. Sue is absolutely packed with that juicy citra hop flavor and aroma and isn't as bitter as ZD. Love them both though, having a 4 day old ZD as I type this :)
    VonZipper and Ri0 like this.
  3. shadetree67

shadetree67 Member

I had fresh zombie dust yesterday and was underwhelmed. Sue wins by a large margin imo
    VonZipper likes this.
  4. gatornation

gatornation Member

got a few bottles of the #7 this week this brew is phenomenal a gem
    Ri0 likes this.
  5. dkrep

dkrep Member

This weekend I did a blind taste test of Zombie Dust versus Pseudo Sue. My fiancée poured 8oz of each into identical glasses. I was hoping they would be more similar and a closer contest, but in every category the Sue was the winner. Better color (rich golden amber vs light yellow gold), better aroma (the Sue jumped out of the glass at you, the ZD was there but not nearly as pronounced), better mouthfeel (Sue has the malts and hops perfect) and better taste. Simply put I enjoyed the Sue much better than the Zombie Dust. Not to slight the Zombie Dust, still a solid beer, but certainly not one I'll ever chase around town for again.

It should be noted that the Zombie Dust was 10 days old and the Sue was 15 days old. Also, the Sue was of the 7% batch, but to be honest I barely noticed a difference from previous Sues.
  6. ToadiesForCody

ToadiesForCody Member

^ I have to agree with all of this.
  7. Ri0

Ri0 Member

I agree, but I would buy a sixer of ZD over a 22oz of Sue when available.
    mnbearsfan likes this.
  8. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Member

I have some in my fridge at home. THink I'll try it for t he first time tonight. ZD I do not have. Need to get me some of that.
  9. SipIt

SipIt Member

I love Sue, but would love it more in 6 packs vs the bomber. Though I have no complaints purchasing growlers on top of growlers of it from Nova.
    4DAloveofSTOUT likes this.
  10. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Member

What is the current Sue?
    Is it still the 7%?
  11. Ri0

Ri0 Member

Nope, back to normal.

Per Twitter on Feb 28: @riod_m @Nick_Meurer @TGBrews Nope, not 7% this time. Maybe once in a while there'll be a 7%er, but that's gonna need addtional dry hops!
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  12. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Member

Awesome! Thanks.
    I actually was hoping it was back to normal.
    Why mess with perfection?
  13. Ri0

Ri0 Member

It wasn't intentional and I prefer it over the "normal" Sue.
  14. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Member

What wasn't intentional? The 7%?
  15. MNPikey

MNPikey Member

First batch on their new brewhouse
  16. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Member

Yes. The higher ABV in 7% Sue was a result of unaccounted for efficiencies in brewing on their new equipment.
  17. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Member

Can you tell the difference in the bottles?
    I thought I read somewhere that they put 7% on the label.
    Is that correct?
  18. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Member

Regular Sue says 6% ABV on the label (it's hidden in the graphic). There is no ABV listed at all on the 7% Sue bottles. Only way to tell a difference as far as I'm aware.
    lonewolfcry likes this.
  19. MNPikey

MNPikey Member

Casanovas got 50 cases Monday.
  20. Ish1

Ish1 Member

yeah, I saw that pic on twitter. Amazing!
    I just hope they stocked up Iowa City and Des Moines as well or we're gonna have a bunch of pissed off Iowaigians on our hands....
  21. mattafett

mattafett Member

Not even close.
  22. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Member

I am pretty sure Des Moines has 7 accounts that get TG bottles. Each account got 7 cases. So that's 49 cases for a metro with a population of about 600,000. Needless to say, it was all gone yesterday at all accounts, even with the additional 2 cases per account and that was with most accounts having a 2 bottle limit as well. :(

I can't comment on what Iowa City got, but I am sure it wasn't even close to 50 cases.
  23. wspanic201

wspanic201 Member

I would guess the whole IC/CR area got 50 cases total, but what do I know.
  24. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Member

[facepalm image]...I understand it, but at the same time, I absolutely do not understand it.
  25. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Member

I don't understand what you understand and don't understand.
  26. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Member

I get that the Nova gets so much because its so close to the Twin Cities. Their last drop up there lasted something like a week or so. In that case, supply > demand. Des Moines, while the metro is much smaller and gets the same amount of cases in total (so in that sense, it certainly is fair), but sells out within hours, even with low limits. Supply < demand. Why not adjust that to meet demand? I'm sure its something that we'll see get better as the company grows.
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  27. JMN44

JMN44 Member

TG is sending lots of beer to Hudson to build their brand for when they start distributing in MN. The Twin Cities could become their biggest or close to their biggest market so I'm sure TG is thinking about the future.

I wonder how much business the Nova will lose when TG is distributed in the TC. First Green Point, then Oscar Blues, later TG. Pretty soon New Glarus will be the only reason to go to Hudson!
    McRyan likes this.
  28. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Member

I'm guessing as long as Minnesota doesn't offer Sunday sales or growler fills at liquor/beer stores, they'll still be doing OK. I think the only way someone could out-do them would be to open a store with a drive-thru window right on the Exit 1 off-ramp.
  29. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Member

Was at the Nova yesterday, they had at least 20 cases left.
  30. Ri0

Ri0 Member

That's just silly. There are still bottles lingering around Madison because of the almost back to back week delivers. I saw a couple bottles today at a shop.

@TgBC Do you know why so many cases of Sue go to Hudson, WI?
  31. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Member

Its also worth mentioning that the growler fills of Sue at Nova are 64 oz @ $9.99 , vs bottles 22oz @ $7, pretty easy decision there. I know when I head back to Green Bay this weekend I'll get growler fills rather than bringing bottles
    McRyan and SipIt like this.
  32. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Member

I see what you're saying and I agree that I understand and don't at the same time.

Like you said, I get that they send a lot to Hudson, to keep the Twin Cities folks happy. But if their intent with sending so much is indeed to supply the TC folks, then why does it sit there so long? Apparently, not many TC folks make the drive to Hudson to get their TG bottle fix if it does sit that long, considering their metro population is about 5 times as big as DSM. Yet DSM get's the same allotment and it sells out in hours. I agree, the demand is not being met in Des Miones, and it looks like there may be a bit of oversupply in Hudson.

I for once would just love to see DSM get enough for it to last longer than a day (or hours really).
    SaulTBauls likes this.
  33. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Member

Please reference my post about Nova growler sales, I'd bet if they didn't sell growlers of TG , bottles wouldn't stick around. I'm sure TG has done their market research and just don't pick numbers by throwing darts at a dart board.

Also, for some of us metro folks, the drive to Hudson can be lengthy depending on where you are and when you go. I Really like Sue but I'm not going to drive to Hudson after work. Which would probably be a 1.5-2 hour round trip and spend $10 (including gas) per bomber. When there are plenty of great options 3 blocks from my apartment.

Finally. To say our demand is low is kind of a stretch. They went through 30 cases in 3 days,don't know many other bombers that sell like that. I know Abyss was on the shelves over a week at some places and they only had 2 cases
    McRyan likes this.
  34. Bunuelian

Bunuelian Member

This is spot on. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if most of the bottled Sue is going out for trades. That's what I buy my bottles for, anyway; if I want drinkin' Sue, I just get a growler for nearly half the price.
  35. SipIt

SipIt Member

No doubt, this is right on. $10 for 64oz of awesomeness? I have no clue as to why someone would take the bomber.

Your other post also hits the nail on the head, as driving to Nova is fine on the weekend, but most of us don't wanna have anything to do with that during the week.

I do agree with you guys in IA, if it really is a struggle to grab a bottle or two.
  36. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Member

I do totally agree bottles selling out in hours woul be frustrating

But it's also worth noting that Hudson/MSP is closer to Decorah than DSM. So take away state lines and the distribution makes a lot of sense since as mentioned before ,TC is a much larger market
    Ish1 likes this.
  37. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Member

Maybe saying the demand is low was the wrong wording. I agree, selling 30 cases of any beer in 3 days indicates demand is high. But look where I'm coming from where 50 cases sells out in 6 hours and Sue has never lasted a day in ANY shipment. The only TG beer I know that has lasted a day or longer in DSM is Dorothy's. Ever.
  38. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Member

Jesus , DSM must love their TG. I've also seen posts from Madison saying bottles are also sticking around longer. Do DSM stores have bottle limits?
  39. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Member

Yes, most every store in DSM has a limit of 2 bottles with every TG delivery. There is one store that apparently doesn't set limits, but I've never been able to get there in time to snag a bottle(s) to confirm. :)
  40. Ri0

Ri0 Member

There is also a shit ton more options for beer in Madison compared to DSM. Don't get me wrong DSM has great options, but it can be overwhelming in Madison. Many stores don't have the shelf space for all the damn beer and I doubt that many know about TG. Enough of us know to clean them out when they arrive, but since they are from IA many don't know/care.
    McRyan likes this.