1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

PseudoSue. The question is not if, but when...

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Ri0, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Josbor11

Josbor11 Savant (350) Ohio Dec 21, 2013

I think someone should trade me a bomber of PseudoSue for two Hop JuJus. Just saying.
    dkrep likes this.
  2. millertime416

millertime416 Aficionado (200) Iowa Feb 14, 2009

I'm sorry, but this just needs to be said. So Casanova’s got a delivery of Sue that was about 10x what any store in the state of IA got? This is absolutely INSANE, given that most places in IC or CR got about 3-6 cases and sold out within the day (with 2-3 bottle limits). Meanwhile Casanova’s (a few days later) is bragging on twitter that they have tons of Sue with no limits.

I get that TG is sending this to Hudson to drive up hype in MN. And I get that a ton of folks in MN can’t wait for TG to enter the state. But this is ABSURD; TG can’t meet their demand in IA let alone WI. Honestly, unless they plan on dramatically expanding capacity (i.e. employing everyone in Decorah, quadrupling the size of the brewery, etc.) there is no way in HELL they can meet the demand of 3 states.

Now I’m not one of those people who think TG should be a one state only brewery, and I understand that it makes geographical sense for them to distribute to IA, WI and MN. Hell I don’t even think they should expand to western IA before moving into MN. So don’t get the impression that I’m bitching about them distributing out of state.

But a ton of people in their original IA and WI markets have spent tons of money and time promoting their products. And now we are being taken completely for granted just so TG can drive up hype by keeping availability extremely low, while expanding to new markets. I for one have spent years telling everyone I know about TG. Whenever I have friends and family from out of state visit, I’m sure to have growlers full of TG beers waiting. And almost every time I leave the state I bring TG beer with me to share. I even brought a bottle of Naughty Temple with me to France this summer to share with small brewer there. But now it's harder for me to buy TG beer in one of their original markets (IC) than it is for people in market they haven't even entered (i.e. twin cities).

Keep in mind…the people in IC, CR, DSM all helped to make TG into what they are today. At one point TG was a little known IA brewery with no BA rankings or hype. So the folks in these markets should be given a little bit of respect for helping to grow the brewery. It is absolutely ridiculous that a brewery would make the conscious decision to disregard the people who helped build their success simply to drive up hype.

And to the folks in MN (since I know your going to rip on my post), do you really think that if Surly, immediately after they began bottling/canning, decided they were going to expand distribution to the point that they couldn’t meet demand in their original markets…that people in MN would be pissed.

Seriously, I hope that one day everyone in the country can taste the greatness that is TG…but I hope TG doesn’t forget the customers who helped to bring them to that place in the process. And right now it looks like they have...
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  3. MNPikey

MNPikey Savant (475) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

4. Josbor11

This is the most ridiculous post I've ever read. Get over yourself. You could have summed this whole post into "I don't want other states to get in on this so I can keep drinking more for myself."
  5. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Oh really????????
    Go to New Glarus and have a talk with Dan Carey. He will be glad to explain to you the importance of a local market.
  6. Josbor11

I'm pretty sure TG has already taken care of the local market. I'm not a business major but I'm pretty sure for the sake of getting their beer into more hands and increasing their profits, expanding would be wise.
  7. mattafett

Absolutely. But there is a difference between retaining and increasing supply to meet demand in your current markets, and essentially abandoning them to create new markets.
    (I am a business major - Accounting degree) ;)
  8. Otis32

Otis32 Aficionado (135) Minnesota Jan 1, 2011

Pretty flawed logic there. Casanova's is the only store that serves the Twin Cities market for Sue. In order to make this more apples to apples maybe a better measure would be to look at how many total cases the entire Des Moines metro area got in comparision to how many cases Casanova's got?

The fact that Casonova's didn't sell out immediately has way more to do with the convenience of driving to Hudson than about soft demand. Also as others have mentioned growlers of Sue compete directly with bottle sales at that location.
    McRyan likes this.
  9. pepsican

pepsican Savant (315) Iowa Nov 5, 2007

TG has been giving our market more and more bottles of product each delivery. It's nothing new that they send larger quantities to different markets. Fortunately they've kept up and increased draft production and are on tap pretty much any place worth mentioning in the area. It kind of blows my mind when people seem genuinely sad they can't purchase a bottle of beer when they can get the same beer along with 3 other varieties a few blocks away. Also, our supply of Sue lasted well over a day and I saw it still on other shelves the next day. Dorothy's has been sticking around for a few weeks per delivery as well.

If you really need your bottle fix, stop down to Toppling Goliaths tap room and support your local brewery. They almost always have some bottles for sale and plenty of good beers on tap as well.
    BrettHead and gatornation like this.
  10. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Savant (420) Minnesota Jun 25, 2013

Remember when this thread was about how good Sue is? Those were the days...
  11. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

For real dudes! I'm going to drive down to TG today and guess what I'm gonna drink the crap out of some Sue (and MD hopefully) and it's going to be the freaking BOMB.
  12. if this was twitter i would retweet that
    MNBeerGeek likes this.
  13. leezy

leezy Aficionado (175) Minnesota Sep 13, 2009

All it takes is some butthurt local who refuses to acknowledge the thing that causes us all to obsessivley seek out new and exciting things, a common shared passion for beer.......at the end of the day that's all this is, JUST BEER

Sue is awesome, beer is good

/end thread
    BrettHead likes this.
  14. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (730) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

TG's next beer should be called Iowa Tears.
    McRyan likes this.
  15. onenut

onenut Aficionado (130) Minnesota Aug 16, 2007

All I'm sayin' is I enjoyed the heck out of a couple glasses of TG King Sue at The Nova last week! Seriously, it's on par with Heady Topper.
  16. I tried this beer it's solid.
  17. millertime416

Right....the definition of entitlement is..."I think a brewery should meet the demand of the customers who helped build and finance it's success before expanding," and not..."I want said brewery to enter my state as soon as possible because I think I deserve access to their beer."

I don't know when this happened, but for some reason Beer Advocacy seems to become Beer Ticking Advocacy...because recently it has become the in-thing to bash people who advocate supporting local breweries before non-local breweries (don't exactly know why NG isn't being constantly ripped on for not expanding). But then again the hundreds of breweries in this country who have contracted their distribution because of increased local demand must be out of their minds. Some one should alert the Cilurzo's (who basically helped popularize one of the styles TG is famous for brewing) that they are not BAs because they pulled out of Washington...I guess all their CA customers were too entitled.

Also, I hate FFF for not distributing to IA...and (obviously) this is not a statement of entitlement.

And again...my post didn't say anything about not wanting TG to expand (in fact it said the opposite), I just want the expansion to come after meeting demand in the original markets (WI INCLUDED).
  18. millertime416

Also, I might be getting my facts mixed up in all of this (...I'm not) but weren't people in MN complaining a year ago about AVERY pulling out of MN because of increased demand by those "entitled" Coloradans?
  19. MNBeerGeek

Just gonna quote myself. If you can't read between the lines I can be more clear: if you want to piss and moan more about what TG is doing make a different thread. This is about appreciating their beer. Perhaps... idk... advocating for them.
    ToadiesForCody likes this.
  20. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Savant (265) Minnesota Oct 27, 2010

Simple solution for those upset about TG going to other places. Start your own brewery, make beer that is that good, keep it where you want. In the meantime I have two Pseudo and two sosusin my fridge.
    BrettHead likes this.
  21. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

You hate them? You don't see that as being a bit much? It's just beer (over-hyped beer at that).
  22. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (385) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

This thread got a little out of control. All I will add is that some of the more sought after TG stuff doesnt get anywhere near minnesota. That is unless you are willing to sell your soul to the devil, or trade a 2009/2010 Darkness and your second child for a sip of MD. ;)
  23. randjuke

randjuke Aficionado (195) Iowa Feb 13, 2010

Getting way back to the original premise of the thread, I think Pseudo is at the point where the rarity and difficulty finding it helps its rating more then it hurts. TG has developed a sort of mystique and their bottles are tough to get unless you trade for them, live near Decorah or are in a position to get to one of their few distribution sites quickly. Human nature being what it is people may rate a beer more highly that they had to put more effort into getting. Plus with these regional beers you are going to get some degree of homerism and inflated rankings. Clearly there are people that are very proud and protective of TG.
  24. BrettHead

Pretty much the same thing can be said for ZD though
  25. Phil_H

Phil_H Savant (280) Wisconsin Jun 4, 2013

After having fresh Pseuodo Sue and fresh Zombie Dust the other day, hands down Pseudo Sue. I still think Zombie Dust is a great beer but it doesn't have the body of Sue.
    dkrep likes this.
  26. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Aficionado (185) Iowa Aug 23, 2013

If
  27. BrettHead

28. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

Psssh... Step too far man, why even open the brewery when you can just homebrew?
  29. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

Maybe that applies slightly if you are one of the people that had to trade away a limb for a bottle. However, I REALLY do not agree. This beer is the real McCoy. I live in Iowa City, Pseudo Sue is HARDLY hard to find in bottles or on tap. This is still the best pale ale I have had.

And King Sue? Don't get me started. Rarity has nothing to do with the taste of that beer either. It is just damn good.
    SipIt, darthvohn and BrettHead like this.
  30. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (220) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Also the roads were awful when this was delivered. Driving from MPLS to Hudson anytime after 3pm is no picnic on bad roads.

There has been plenty of occasions when supply wasn't enough at NOVA. They have been loyal and always wanted more. This is a rare occasion of not selling out in days.
  31. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (220) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

I don't believe that is correct. They were going to have to use a new distributor or had a falling out with the current distributor. Something of that nature.
    Mnmaverick likes this.
  32. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

I'm not really complaining, but just curious, why is a growler fill of Sue at the nova cheaper than at the taproom?
  33. Otis32

Interesting post. Odd use of upper case and lower case letters. Multiple quotations of the same text. Recommending therapy as a solution to a poorly interpretated observation on beer availability. A whole lot going on in there.

Doesn't change the point that comparing case delivery quantities of Sue to Casanova's vs. any random individual liquor store in DSM is not valid. That liquor store in Hudson basically serves a metropolitan area 5 times as big as DSM for that specific product.

If Casanova's did get more Sue per delivery than the entire DSM market then I could see some vailidity to the complaint. Seriously doubt it though.
    McRyan likes this.
  34. mattafett

That is exactly what he was saying. It is 100% true.
  35. Otis32

Must be a better interpreter than me because what I got out of the post is "We got no Sue in Des Moines. YOU ARE DUMB. GET THERAPY.

If it is true I stand corrected but a quick look at the TG locator shows 9 liquor stores in the DSM area that get beer and 1 in Hudson. The imbalance in case deliveries would have to be huge for that fact to hold up.
  36. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Sooo... when do you guys think pseudoSue will actually catch up with Zombie Dust? I'm not sure that it will in its current bomber format/distribution, as much as I enjoy pseudoSue. But I will say that I would be 100% sure that it happens if Toppling Goliath starts self-distributing pseudoSue in $10.99 6-packs. That would literally make people lose their shit, me included!

(note: the above post is just an attempt to get the thread back on track.)
    McRyan, s_wit, BottleCaps80 and 2 others like this.
  37. mattafett

On average Iowa stores get 4 cases, sometimes less. 4x9=36 14 cases less than Hudson. Iowa City (TG's first bottle account) gets less than that. For a while (and may still be) Red's in North Liberty was TG's largest draft account.
    Otis32 likes this.
  38. MNBeerGeek

So this is the new saga of 2014? People bitching in every TG thread about distribution?
    Seefeldt likes this.
  39. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (925) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

It's been steadily climbing after each release. Statistically, more reviews are needed for it to surpass ZD. I think at around 1500 reviews it will tie or surpass ZD. Not sure of the time frame for that to happen. Six months or a year?
    BrettHead and BottleCaps80 like this.
  40. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

Whether you do your math on miles driven or bottles per capita, DesMoines and CR/IC are not getting the shaft.

Here is to Sue passing ZD!
    Cheers!