1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

PseudoSue. The question is not if, but when...

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Ri0, Aug 14, 2013.

1. millertime416

millertime416 Aficionado (220) Iowa Feb 14, 2009

I'm going to retract my original complaint - I think that, actually, TG loves IA more than MN. You see...

after thoroughly enjoying some fresh ZeeLander tonight (along with a week old bottle of Sue) I actually think that TG is protecting the folks of Iowa from severe liver damage and financial ruin. Because right now, if I lived in Hudson WI...I might be dead (either my liver or wife would have killed me). The only thing keeping me alive at this point may be the constant 1-2 bottle limits of TG beer (and that I'm too lazy to fill growlers on a daily basis).

Keep up the good work TG!
  2. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (525) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

Untrue. Right now, Zombie Dust's rAvg is higher than PseudoSue's. As long as that's the case, Sue would need to have a lot more reviews than ZD in order to be listed higher than it. Check the math on how the weighted rankings work.

That said, I definitely prefer Sue over Zombie Dust.
  3. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I see that Sue gained another 0.01 point, since I last checked (now at 4.59, just 0.04 points below ZD). What you have to assume is that the rAvg will climb much quicker compared to ZD, since it has been the trend. It has moved up very quickly since TG has been regularly producing it. Thus Sue should not need anywhere near the number of reviews that ZD has.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  4. I know that Mike weighed in saying doing 6 packs right now is not gonna happen for a few reasons. My question then becomes.... Why not lower the price of the bomber a little bit so that ounce for ounce it somewhat resembles 12 ounce bottle prices..... I love Sue but when a bomber (22 ounces of beer, less then 2 beers) costs around the same as a 6 pack of Moon Man, Hopalicious, New Dogtown and a lot of other great pales it is hard to justify. If they were to bring the price closer to Hop Stoopid prices it would be a different story, even at $4 a bomber it is still over a $12 6 pick.... They do need to do some price adjusting now they are expanding...
  5. doner24

doner24 Aficionado (175) Minnesota Apr 16, 2013

Hmmm, the bottles fly off the shelf at the current price and you want them to lower the price? I'm just happy that they aren't $9.99 or more per bomber (which I would still pay).
    copslovebeer likes this.
  6. Berg77

Berg77 Aficionado (220) Iowa Nov 30, 2013

I'm curious - does anyone know offhand what the brewing capacity of TG is now as compared to other smaller Iowa breweries such as Madhouse, Confluence, Backpocket, etc? Just wondering if their production levels are at about the same level, or much lower.
  7. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

Backpocket is the largest craft brewer in the state, according to this article http://hooplanow.com/2012/09/08/bac...ville-kegs-first-batch-of-beer/#axzz2w10hTOSF Backpocket could put out 25,000 barrels per year. This was BEFORE they expanded in late 2013 and added seven new 100 bbl fermenters according to this article http://iowariverlanding.com/2013/11...largest-brewery-in-iowa-by-doubling-capacity/

After expansion, Toppling Goliath added a 30 bbl system, on top of the old 10 bbl system. They are looking at a total output of 5,000 barrels, according to this article: http://beerpulse.com/2012/10/toplli...ew-brewhouse-bottling-line-barrel-aging-room/.

Imagine how much beer TG could send to Wisconsin and Minnesota with Backpocket's facilities. ;)
    davesway10 likes this.
  8. Berg77

Berg77 Aficionado (220) Iowa Nov 30, 2013

Thanks for the helpful info! That certainly explains why, at least in part, TG is brought in such limited quantities. I can't wait for the day that their capacity for output is even close to that of Backpocket!
  9. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (260) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

At the Three Floyds brewpub right now(which is awesome) enjoying my first ever Zombie Dust and as much as I'm not a fan of hype I think Sue is a better beer. So much more flavor in Sue. Just IMO of course.
    ToadiesForCody and Berg77 like this.
  10. Not gonna lie... I'm new to the scene... but am in Iowa City for a conference this weekend...Found PseudoSue, Dorothy's, and Golden Nugget on Tap... and thoroughly enjoyed all 3... Excited that this may one day make its way to MN
    McRyan likes this.
  11. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

No reason to lie. These are some damn delicious beers that you just had.
    copslovebeer and BrettHead like this.
  12. 4four4

4four4 Aficionado (215) Minnesota Apr 27, 2007

Solid stuff but there are plenty of beers comparable that are available in and around the state. Waiting around for them to make a decision is wasting time.
  13. morimech

morimech Advocate (675) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Do not think $7-8 bombers of PseudoSue is going to consume too many sales of Day Tripper.
  14. Stevedore

Need those $10/6packs of pseudoSue soon.
  15. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Uh like what?
    zeledonia and copslovebeer like this.
  16. I agree with your response, and this isn't the same type of beer, but comparably awesome… 612 brew "Bitter Cold Winter IPA #2". SMASH IPA With Golden Promise Malt and Mosaic hops. So awesome. So. Awesome….
  17. BuzzG

BuzzG Aficionado (125) Iowa Dec 6, 2013

About a month ago, while visiting the Chicago Auto Show, I thought I would head over to 3F and pick up some ZD. Had a few beers at the bar (had to stand in line at 2pm on a Tuesday to sit at the bar) and brought home 2 cases of ZD. Some of the best beer I've ever had.

I live in the Des Moines Metro and also try to get Sue When they send it out. At least three times I left work within an hour of their delivery and it was sold out. Two other times I got there within an hour of delivery and got the bottles. Also one of the best beers I've ever had.

From the feedback I've gotten from the stores, it sounds like they could deliver 10x the amount of Sue and they would sell out within a day. I'd like to see them at least satisfy the DM market before they move on to other states but that's just me being greedy.

On the other hand Golden Nugget is pretty easy to find on tap in DM but it's not as good.
  18. Ri0

TG Brews Hop Patrol ‏@TGBrews 3h
    Try Tsunami Pale again. Toying with 12 oz bottles for that along with "another pale" @BrewmastaMike makes.

;)
    TheSaboteur and s_wit like this.
  19. Stevedore

s_wit likes this.
  20. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Based on taste, I believe Sue is a better beer than Zombie Dust. Based on cost Zombie Dust wins.

I can't imagine Toppling Goliath can go from selling a single 22oz glass bottle of Sue for $7 to a 6 pack (72oz) of glass bottles for only $3 more.

More than triple the amount of beer, 6x bottle labels, 6x glass bottles, 6x bottle caps, and a 6 pack holder. All for only $3 more?
  21. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Why not? Everyone else does.
  22. Ri0

Why do you think the 6 pack would cost $7? How do you know it will be a 6 pack and not a $10 4 pack?
  23. Stevedore

He's saying $3 more in response to my pleas for $10 6-packs of pseudoSue. Obviously nobody really knows if it's going to be 4/6 packs at this point.
  24. Ri0

Holy SH!T. King Sue is about to pass Pliny the Younger with just a fraction of the votes. Will Heady finally be unseated as the highest rated beer? Could be if KS ever sees distro.
    s_wit likes this.
  25. TG'S IPA/2IPA'S are the best in the business IMO the only that is as good is Alpine's IPA/2IPA'S
  26. Really comparing Sue and ZD is stupid since they are both awesome!

That said, I would pick Sue 7/10 times.
  27. Ri0

Another factor I didn't consider is that Zombie Dust's score has been slightly declining. ZD is now at 4.62 compared to Sue's score of 4.6.
  28. Cane80

Cane80 Aficionado (145) Florida May 4, 2013

Florida boy checkin in. Just got a bottle of Pseudo via trade, this stuff is awesome! This stuff kicks the shit out of Zombie Dust.

That said, I'm ISO, LOL