1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

PTY San Diego

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by xraided81, Feb 6, 2013.

1. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

[​IMG]
  2. Good_Trader

Good_Trader Initiate (0) Viet Nam Nov 21, 2012

Hey, isn't that BDuble?
  3. Damn bduble is hot. Not sure about that purple bikini though..
  4. Good_Trader

Good_Trader Initiate (0) Viet Nam Nov 21, 2012

too much beans, not enough frank
  5. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Not sure he even lifts...
  6. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Place was chill as fuck. I posted this on FB:

"With PtY - the key is to go to tappings announced no more than 2 hours in advance. The ones announced even 1 day in advance are fucked. People drive in from 100 miles away, call in sick etc."
    ehammond1 likes this.
  7. evilc

Logsdon Saison Bretta was on tap - awesome!
  8. evilc

TOTALLY chill. I left 1.5 hours after tapping and it was still online.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  9. ehammond1

Can we get back on topic, please? Arnold When Younger.
    [​IMG]
  10. [​IMG]
    domtronzero, Shagtastic and ehammond1 like this.
  11. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

[​IMG]
    ehammond1 and BdubleEdubleRUN like this.
  12. Real talk though, Sage and I are having said workshop out back of Churchills next weekend.

Topics will include:
    -Cycling your IPA and cheese macros
    -"BMR? More like BEERMR, Amirite?"
    -How does BCBS fit into my TDEE?
    -Are saisons really are the best beer to drink after working in a field all day?

Cost of entry is one bottle of CFH.
    SageO likes this.
  13. ehammond1

Sure, sure, but how much for the VIP experience? ;)
  14. BM sent. Just remember Shaun Hill doesn't do photos.
  15. ehammond1

Really looking forward to this lecture series. I do have some quick comments, questions, and concerns.

Topics will include:
    -Cycling your IPA and cheese macros (Assuming cbanker will be leading this workshop? If not, I'll cover the necessary honorarium and provide car service to make this happen.)
    -"BMR? More like BEERMR, Amirite?" Do highly-caffeinated beers, like Barrel-Aged Kopi Speedway for example, increase my metabolism enough to counteract the calories in an entire 750mL bottle? This is the assumption I've been working with for some time now.
    -How does BCBS fit into my TDEE? Bout tree fidy, would be my guess.
    -Are saisons really are the best beer to drink always after working in a field all day? I just went ahead and fixed that one for you.
  16. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (270) California Jan 11, 2010

Like.

DO NOT LIKE! DO NOT LIKE!
  17. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

I already had mine, so I'm making it my goal to ruin it for the rest of you
    domtronzero likes this.
  18. evilc

I saw a few North Face sweatshirts.
  19. Poured for quite a while last night @ Johnny Brown's. Did a low key announcement, and the keg lasted at least two hours.
  20. evilc

That's the way to do it.
  21. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (250) California Aug 19, 2011

today will be a shit show at toro. sunday morning announced ahead of time lol
    mrkrispy likes this.
  22. Line at Toro already down the street.
  23. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

Enjoy!
  24. evilc

Hearing some awesome stories of line cutting. One guy says he was 25 deep, then 45 deep later. Line cutters - you are little bitches. I'm sitting at home eating a sammich. Fuck tappings announced days in advance.
  25. Line cutting happens because most Californians are too meek to do anything about it.
  26. evilc

You can't win either way. Start a fight over beer? Lose lose.
  27. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

Anyone else notice Toronado bumped the price for PtY from $8 to $10?
  28. evilc

Yep. Oh well. O'briens still @ $8. $10 for their charity keg. O'briens is a fucking mess though, it isn't setup for crowds at all. At least Toro has a somewhat wide space between the bar and the tables.

I don't understand the smokers at O'briens. Cigarettes + IPA? How to ruin the notes of the beer 101.
  29. ipa247

ipa247 Savant (270) California Dec 23, 2008

I have never understood why they announce these tappings in advance. Almost every place i have been to in the Bay Area where they announce in advance leads to huge lines of non regular out of towners who drain the keg and then head out the minute it is cashed. Total bullshit.

I wish more bars went the route of setting aside tickets or pours for regulars and shutting out the out of town, non regular hipster bros who go from bar to bar draining the kegs. Barclays in Oakland did that this morning and it was excellent. The bartenders dont know you then no Younger for you. Pretty classic to watch medium size groups of dudes exit the bar and head back to their cars without buying a thing (even though 30 other beers on tap) after being told there will be no younger for them.
  30. evilc

Day of announcement ftw. Usually results in a laid back atmosphere where everyone can relax for 3 hours and drink as much PtY as they want.
    jamex and mjl21 like this.
  31. It shouldn't come to a fight. If you get a critical mass of people behind the cutter giving the cutter crap, they often will choose to do the right thing.
    evilc likes this.
  32. 100% agree. You do not need to fight the asshole or "holes". I am from Boston, I am very loud and I hate lines (I also live in San Diego). I see some one cut I will call them out. They want to fight me after I call them out...I will have everyone in that line backing me up. Try me bro #tryme
  33. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I am definitely going to cut in front of you at CFH
  34. If you bring him some of that coffee, I suspect he'd gladly claim that you were in his party.
    nanobrew likes this.
  35. San Diego Brewing Co.
    New on tap: Russian River Pliny the Elder
    We will be tapping our keg of Russian River Pliny the Younger on Saturday February 23 beginning at 10 am.
  36. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Too bad there aren't enough bars with the balls to tap their PtY keg unannounced. Nothing beats drinking a handful of pours before the bartender tweets the tap. Then you happily watch all the knuckleheads roll in.
    EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  37. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

unannounced pty tapping in san diego at this very moment. right... now.
  38. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (250) California Aug 19, 2011

what is the point of saying its tapped somewhere then not sharing the information? thats not very good advocacy
    mrkrispy likes this.