1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pub/bottle shop/restaurant recommendations in Chicago area?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by WAN2RIDE, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Hey folks,

I'm headed to Schaumburg, IL tonight for a training class tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a decent place for a brew and maybe a good bottle shop? Preferably within a reasonable cab ride of the "One Schaumburg Place Shopping Center" mall as that's right next to my hotel.

I'd like to pick up some Three Floyd's while I'm in the area as we don't get them here in North Cackalacky. Any other breweries I should be sure to look for? We already get Bell's and Founders, and I've tried some Goose Island before.

A good local place to eat would be cool too.

Thanks for any responses!
    [​IMG]

2. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (475) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

Wrong Forum. Try Great Lakes.

3. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (565) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

4. There's a reason why I failed geography. LOL, thanks.

5. HighWine

HighWine Savant (385) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

Best bars for beer both about 4 miles from where you're staying: Durty Nellie's (Palatine) and Bigby's Pour House (Addison). Both have their menus on beermenus.com and I know Durty Nellies sells bottles to go. Elliot's Brewing is also walking distance from Durty Nellie's. Beers there a pretty good, but not great.

Best place to shop is Binny's. There's a Schaumburg store. If you're strapped for time the Whole Foods near where youre staying has good locals (FFF, Pipeworks, Revolution. Half Acre, Two Bros, Wild Onion, etc.). New beers arrive weekly at Whole Foods on Thursdays, and they have decent beer on tap, too, in the cafe.

If you want to stay closer to the hotel then I'd recommend Westwood Tavern, Stonewood Alehouse, and RAM Brewing in that order with RAM being a distant third. Westwood has the best food of all that are listed here. I think Stonewood is open until 3am if you want to live the rock star lifestyle during your visit to Schaumburg!

I'd meet you for a beer but I'm traveling myself. Enjoy your trip!