Publicly Traded Craft Breweries

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ohsaycanyoubeer, Jan 31, 2013.

1. The use of an ad hominem description of those who disagree with you hardly furthers your argument.

I could just as well say it's naive to think there's some sort of nobility in privately held breweries or that those breweries are less concerned with getting rich and maximizing profits, or that publicly traded breweries have no ethics save the bottom line.

To your suggestion that privately held breweries "sometimes sacrifice profit/value for fun/[passion/eccentricity" I could easily counter with the often repeated complaint on these forums about high prices of beers from private breweries. And to your other accusation that publicly traded breweries only care about the "bottom line" I can point to BBC that does many altruistic projects including its seed money program for entrepreneurs and its homebrewing competition to name just two.

And, oh by the way, do you sacrifice profit in your job for the sake of the product you provide to your consumers?

2. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

LOL

I didn't say anything about nobility. A private ownership's agenda isn't necessarily noble.

I didn't say anything about privately held companies not being able to do anything altruistic.

You clearly don't know me very well if you think that sort of rhetoric strikes a nerve at all. I give zero fucks about the things that keep most business people up at night.

3. Dont you spend enough of your budget on craft beer already?

If you want to invest by a 12 pack instead of a 6 pack. Better ROI.

4. "In my opinion, if a craft brewery does _(insert anything)__, they aren't 'craft' anymore"

5thOhio likes this.
  5. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

IRRC, Tenth & Blake owns less than 25% of Terrapin.

6. Walkercf

Walkercf Initiate (5) Oct 9, 2013

OTC NCNE Appalachian Mountain Brewery ! HOTR Hooters Mgmt involved.

7. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

I kick myself every time I hear about how well they are doing...I had an business math class several years ago and chose to do the comparison/prediction of SAM and BEER and my predictions were right. Their stock has gone way up in the last 4 years. But then again, I could have put what little money I had into gold and that would have been a good choice as well...

8. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

You happen to have any similar info for European craft breweries? Better yet, would you let me know if there is a particularly quick way to go about finding out such information (or are you just an encyclopedia and/or master of Googling)?

9. blue-dream

blue-dream Moderator (760) Illinois Aug 22, 2013 Staff Member

10. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (395) New York Oct 31, 2013

Totally fair point

11. spicoli00

spicoli00 Champion (760) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

12. blue-dream

blue-dream Moderator (760) Illinois Aug 22, 2013 Staff Member

13. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

14. spicoli00

spicoli00 Champion (760) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

that's not what the prospectus says.

can't buy from the u.s. but if you have an offshore account it's not an issue.

15. I tried to tell you guys about GrowLife Inc. and nobody wanted to hear it.
    *shrug*
    Back to beer stocks i guess. Actually SAM didnt do half bad this year. I wouldnt touch it now but..

blue-dream likes this.
  16. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Thanks for that information. That's a sublety I'd not been aware of having just read the part saying as a resident of the US you were not eligible for purchase.

17. C_Roetting

C_Roetting Savant (250) Kentucky Aug 28, 2013

18. You are correctly segregating business practices from brewing but even though a "business practice" may deal mainly with marketing, etc., it can also have an effect on brewing. For example, using cheaper or less ingredients that don't necessarily change the taste of the beer for the majority of drinkers in order to maximize profits.

19. Publicly traded / craft brewery. An oxymoron if I ever saw one.

20. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Bump.

I was going to post this same thread but then, using the handy search function, found this one already in existence.

To add to the conversation, have any new publicly traded breweries come on the market since December 2013 (date of the last post in this thread prior to mine)? Is this viewed as a growing trend as more breweries grow and expand distribution? Pros? Cons?

kojevergas and blue-dream like this.
  21. Ranbot

Ranbot Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006