1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Pubs in Newark

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by Mark, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Mark

Mark Advocate (595) California Jun 18, 2001

Ruds and any others who might know, we have visited Newark and are returning for another day trip from London this year. Last year we hit Just Beer Micropub, The Prince Rupert, and The Castle. Any others that are musts? Thanks.

2. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

The Cardinal's Hat.

Only joking.

3. I'm afraid I cant help on this one Mark - I've heard of and can recommend Just Beer that you've visited but Newark is one place I've never had a pint !

I would suggest a number of other places with probably larger pub crawl options just as easily reachable from London ... Cambridge, Leicester, Derby, Notts and Birmingham/Wolverhampton spring to mind.

4. Mark

Ruds, sorry, I meant to ask Marquis. Hopefully he will see this. I'll check in with you again should we visit some of those other locations on future trips. Thanks.

5. What's the attraction with Newark Mark - do you have family there?

6. Mark

No, we just really liked the feel of it when we visited last year. I like to visit historical sites as well as pubs and when I heard that Newark had the castle and listed buildings we decided to try it out. Loved it. When I have time I'll try to post all the other places we have seen outside of London. I will gladly take advice on where else to try. I wish I did have family in England, I'd move there.

7. Come to Cardiff, you can see the castle from the City Arms!

8. Mark

One of our goals is to see some of Wales.

9. If you ever get there give me a shout, i'm full of pub and bottle recommendations (see my profile). Rob as well.

10. patto1ro

Newark is a lovely town. Just a pity about the people who live there. (I grew up in Newark.)

Two scenic former breweries to look at, too.

11. Fox and Crown isn't bad either.
    Newark is a lovely old town full of interest and small enough to get round on foot relatively easily.
    There's also the Real Ale shop on Kirk Gate with a fair selection of bottles from many countries.

12. Mark

I did see that shop last year. What about the Vine?

13. Not been there yet! This is info from the local Branch;
    "
    Description: No frills Victorian street corner local, a five minute walk from the town centre. It consists of two contrasting bars a large ‘L’ shaped basic bar with pool table and gaming machine and the Captain’s bar at the rear which is dedicated to real ale and cider and has a dartboard. There is a wall painting above the bar depicting a market scene. Very much a drinkers’ pub. Discount on Springhead beers offered on production of membership card.
    Surveyed: 30 November 1999
    Updated: 2 September 2012"

14. Mark

Marquis, thanks.

15. patto1ro

The Vine was the last pub in Newark to sell Warwick's IPA.