1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pumpkin Ales and Cinnamon sugar on the Rim!?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dray, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Is it me or what?
    Why do bars ruin really good Pumpkin ale by putting Cinnamon sugar on the rim of the glass?
    Whos with me on this?
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I've never seen this practice, but if I did I would ask them not to do it.
  3. I am with you on this.
  4. Its not friggin toast!
    I hesitate ordering one out because they still seem to do it even after you ask them not to.
    $9 Pumking and they put Cinnamon sugar on the Rim.
    Does Al Cerivk have to smack a bitch?
    Horbar and afrokaze like this.
  5. It improves Pumpkinhead, especially when you also add a shot of vanilla vodka.
  6. grumpy

grumpy Savant (405) Missouri May 24, 2005

"$9 Pumking and they put Cinnamon sugar on the Rim."

Sounds considerably better than Corona with a lime wedge....
  7. beernut

beernut Savant (330) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

If you ask them not to do it and they still do it, don't accept it, send it back ask for the manager.
    Providence likes this.
  8. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Yuck, some are already a sugary pumpkin pie mess. I had an Epic Fermentation Without Representation last week and thought it was the best Pumpkin offering I've ever had. It's a Imperial Pumpkin Porter, lightly spiced at the end. All spice maybe?
  9. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

I think I would politely tell them that I thought I ordered a beer and not a margarita.

Though, if it's just that the waitress is eager to give a rimjob, then maybe we can work something out.
    nquigley16, dennho, kjkinsey and 4 others like this.
  10. If they still do it even when asked not to, then that's definitely not cool and I'd send it back.

Otherwise, honestly, I don't have a problem with it. It's a Pumpkin Ale fer cryin' out loud- by definition it's gimmicky and festive, why not go all the way as long as it tastes good? Heck- they could blend it with a chocolate stout, pour it over ice cream, sugar the rim and add a cinnamon stick stirrer and I'd totally be into it.

(memo to myself- get ice cream and Young's Double Chocolate Stout on the way home)
    victory4me, jlordi12, AdamP and 7 others like this.
  11. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

What kind of bars are you going to? Where I go, the grizzled, bearded guys running the place wouldnt even consider something so ridiculous.
    JohnB87 likes this.
  12. That's what ya get for ordering a pumpkin ale. Just sayin'...
    elgiacomo likes this.
  13. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

The Pub I go must have 4 Pumpkins on tap right now.
  14. OK I'll be that guy...I've done it. Didn't really add a whole lot to the beer, just ended up with cinnamon and sugar in my beard and a sticky face. Consider it a one-and-done.
    BGrider85 likes this.
  15. Aaron58

Aaron58 Savant (270) Massachusetts Dec 16, 2007

I gotta say. I like it. Cant see why someone wouldnt to be honest. But to each his own
    tzieser, jlordi12 and happy4hoppybeer like this.
  16. JLG193

JLG193 Savant (250) Michigan Sep 14, 2010

My question is where do you pay $9 for pumking at a bar? Yikes! I just got for 6.
  17. capsfan13

capsfan13 Aspirant (30) Maryland Jun 27, 2011

They did this recently when my hubby ordered one. He wiped it away. Stupid gimmick.
  18. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.
    sailorastro and omniscientcause like this.
  19. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

If you need to put sugar on the glass the beer must not be good
    tzieser and Horbar like this.
  20. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

They do it because people like it, if you don't like it ask them not to do it and get over it.
    victory4me, tzieser, Mavajo and 6 others like this.
  21. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

I've only had it happen to me once, but it was at a beer festival and the brewery was trying to get some attention.

If I were at a bar and they served it to me like that, I'd be bummed.
  22. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Hell I'd try it once. Sounds interesting.
    Mavajo and matthaslaservision like this.
  23. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

My wife absolutely loves Pumpking with the cinnamon sugar rim. It didn't necessarily ruin it for me but I enjoy the beer just fine without the sugar.
    Mavajo likes this.
  24. I've only ever seen it with Shipyard Pumpkinhead, and it's become a pretty big trend around here, right up there with throwing an orange into a hefe/wit.

I honestly don't really care - Pumpkinhead is such a strange tasting beer anyway, that the sugared rim kind of fits. I don't mind an occasional Pumpkinhead, and I'll even do it with the sugared rim.

Harpoon made another beer a couple of years ago for a regional seafood chain (Legal Sea Foods) that was always served with a salted rim. It actually paired perfectly with seafood, though I'd probably puke if I drank it by itself. Point being - there's a time and a place for everything if it is done right.
    victory4me and jlordi12 like this.
  25. Ordered shipyard pumpkin at a bar the other day and at the last second asked if they rim they glass, because I didn't want it if they did. He sort of laughed and said "hell no, we don't do that shit" - that was refreshing.

Having said that, I think I might be ok with a rimmed glass for the lighter pumpkin beers - the kind where it's basically a plain lager with a bit of pumpkin and spice flavor, which aren't all that great to being with. Then again, if they only have those lighter pumpkin beers available, I would prob order something else.
  26. kleo

kleo Aficionado (210) Massachusetts Apr 27, 2009

According to "serious craft beer guy" at my old job, the rimming is proof a beer bar knows what they are doing. Honestly found him a very handy resource. If a beer was "freaking amazing," it would be a gimmicky hot mess and his bar suggestions were even worse.
  27. Prism Brewing Co. here in the Philly suburbs does this with their one beer. I tried it just because I was curious. If I got it again, I'd ask for it without. Gimmicky, and certainly didn't add anything to the beer.
  28. I've seen this done with Great Lakes Christmas ale too (at a TGIFriday's). I asked that they leave it off the rim of my glass. 9 out of 10 times the chain restaurants serve seasonal beers in the wrong glassware too.
  29. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

You don't like to have a sticky face?
    At least somebody does.
    bryanole27 likes this.
  30. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

Does this mean you've never referred to beer as "liquid bread"? Really?
    TongoRad likes this.
  31. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

I can see where this would be tasty for some. Kinda like tossing the glass in the freezer to further chill a beer. Both practices not welcome to the purists.
  32. Not as much as your mom does. AAYYOOOOO!
    DanK4, hardy008, litheum94 and 3 others like this.
  33. How about Blue Moon Caramel Apple with caramel and cinnamon around the rim? Had this last week. I think in that case it improves the beer, which is somewhat bland. Pumpkinhead with a cinnamon rim is pretty bad.
  34. I was bar locked. Didnt drive and was with a bunch of people that like the crap place we went to. This bars craft selection was Pumking and Dogfish 60. Other than that it was BMC City!!!
  35. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

ive heard of it but if they did that to my beer i would cry
  36. Aren't most pumpkin beers all about getting a snootful of pumpkin pie spices anyway? Don't see how the adornment would manage to overwhelm that stuff - perhaps from an aesthetic standpoint, you just object to the apple-tini-izing of your beer?
  37. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

Pumpking + extra sugar= instant sugarbeetus. My teeth and stomach hurt just thinking about that.
    MarkF150, JohnB87 and sliverX like this.
  38. Mohican88

Mohican88 Aficionado (230) Ohio Jan 20, 2010

Saranac is selling cinnamon sugar just for this on their website. *facepalm*
    tzieser and BeerKangaroo like this.
  39. RStang13

RStang13 Savant (280) New Jersey Jun 22, 2011

Not for me, but if it gets my wife to enjoy a beer while we're out... Rim away!
  40. Doesn't BA magazine have a segment dedicated to beer cocktails? Some of these cocktails involve both beer and sweet ingredients. My point is, getting experimental with beer is part of the hobby. The cinnamon/sugar rim is something joe-shmoe will dig because it's flavors he knows presented in a way he understands (the salted/sugared rim delivery method). And bars want Joe Shmoe to order craft beers, so I get why they are doing it. It's not my cup of tea, so I would just ask them to bring the pint as is.
    youbrewidrink and Dray like this.