1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pumpkin beers jumped the shark?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by WassailWilly, Dec 24, 2012.

1. All I know is DFH always shoots for September 1st to release Punkin and I feel like it has to do with anticipation and shelf life. Anticipation because fall beers, especially pumpkin ones, are arguably the most sought after seasonal. And shelf life because, since fall/pumpkin beers (especially Punkin) tend to have a decent malt base, they can sit on the shelf for a few months and still be good. That way, by the time December rolls around, the brewery can confidently put out their winter beers without worrying about much overlap.

2. I feel like a lot of pumpkin beers aren't really pumpkin beers but beers with added spices and flavorings to imitate a pumpkin pie and then they throw a little bit of pumpkin in it so they can label it as such. That being said, I'll list my favorite "pumpkin" beers in terms of flavors:

Ginger snap/graham cracker = Pumking
    Cinnamon = Elysian Blight (almost all cinnamon but very good if you're a fan of the spice)
    Vegetal gourd/ brown sugar = Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (especially on tap)
    Clove/nutmeg = Schlafly Pumpkin

Honorable mention: CCB Good Gourd, Smuttynose Pumpkin and DFH Punkin. Also, Terrapin's Pumpkinfest was quite enjoyable although a bit heavy on the nutmeg.

3. Pumpkin Ales did seem to come out early this year , on the west coast of Canada , good one Howe Sound's Pumpkineater came out in early/mid September until mid November , now just the bad one's are still on the shelf , Buffalo Bill , Post Road
    The season should be all of October til US Thanksgiving ,
    also know what to buy , trust Ba reviews , ie BB

4. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Pumpkin beers are for pussies. Sorry, they just are. Anyone who wants their beer to taste "exactly like pumpkin pie" needs a reminder of what beer is....or more importantly for what it is not. And that is pumpkin pie or anything approaching pumpkin pie.

I applaud Victory for not making one because they hate them and are not going to make a style they don't believe in

Merry Christmas

5. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

I like the idea of barrel aging some of the really big ones. Hf double pumpkin and Avery rump kin were very good. Others... Not so much

6. pumpkins have been used in beer since the colonial times...hardly a new invention.

JuniperJesus likes this.
  7. Oak Jacked is fantastic. Rumpkin is even better.

8. I only had a couple this season and they were new brews I hadn't tried previously. I agree with whoever said they came out to early. I'm not kidding you, some were on the shelves in July here on the east coast, the rest followed in August. At that point I was still buying cans for 100 degree days at the pool. I think the timing was bad. There are definitely a lot of what I would call mediocre incarnations, but I guess for now the market supports it.

I don't think I'm a fan of pumpkin ales, but the people denigrating the tastes of others who do like them is ridiculous.
    Yes pumpkin seems like an odd addition to a beer, but at some point you could consider most ingredients were that way.

9. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

yeah, feel Exactly the same way....(&) i feel there are only a FEW good ones Anyway. - i (have) been all about them before...this yr, just.."eh.."

-Elevator Brewery's: "New Bremen Giant Pumpkin Ale"

-Southern Tier's: "Pumking" -- most folks either Really like this one, or Really Don't ( i think its The best one out there...& i've had alot ovr the yrs. )

-Weyerbacher's: Imperial Pumpkin" ( a lot of folks Like this one ..i feel its a bit Over-rated, but good, depending on your mood )

the above are those few on My list, but everybody's different, so....

10. baconman91

>>i'd Love to try that one

11. baconman91

ooooh, the Giant Pumpkin mentioned above-- some Mystery surrounds it --- Though From, the i guess Now Defunct "Wooden Shoe Brewing Company" Minster, OH...but "brewed and bottled in/at Elevator Brewing Columbus, OH ? -- i still have a 6pk carrier says Minster--the bottles say Columbus.

12. I don't really get pumpkin beers. I liked them before I got into craft beer, but once I realized what was out there, and starting experiencing good beer, the pumpkin beers just seemed pretty blah to me. Didn't have a single one this past year.

baconman91 likes this.
  13. Good Gourd is really special i still have 3 to enjoy throughout the year, as well as pumpking.

14. baconman91

i hear that...like (i) said earlier too
    -though every year i (do) get a Pumking or 2 when they 1st come out (i always thought it was The definitive one)..someone told me to try the Weyerbacher, i did, ...just "ehhh". They just aren't my thing Anymore either.
    -- Palates..funny how they change, huh?

15. Timmerman's Pumpkin Lambricus, which i had for the first time ever this last week was absolutely phenominal as far as pumpkin beers go for me. I used to be a huge fan and my likeness kind of diminished until this. I've been toying with a pumpkin berlinner weisse as a homebrew project too.

16. MudDrinker

MudDrinker Aficionado (210) Ohio Oct 16, 2012

I got to try Schlafly's which definitely lived up to the hype.

17. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

No.. I love the following..

Saint Arnold Pumpkinator
    DFH Punkin Ale
    Karbach Krunkin Pumpkin

and I really like Fat Jack from Samuel Adams

18. +1 for Pumking
    [​IMG]

19. spoony

spoony Advocate (525) Colorado Aug 1, 2012

Congratulations, you win the prize for the manliest post about beer. Feel more secure?

Beer is whatever you want it to be. If you want your beer to taste like pumpkin pie, more power to you. You like beer that tastes like sour patch kids? Awesome! If you want beer to taste like smoked coffee beans, great! The various types of beer, and the accessibility to all types of beer, is one of the things that makes beer great.

/end rant

Back on topic, I think pumpkin beers were some of the first widespread experimental-type beers among U.S. craft brewers. Pumpkin may be falling out of fashion today among BAs, but we are now seeing the offspring of those pumpkin efforts now in beers with other spice/fruit/vegetable flavors added.

20. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (370) Texas Dec 28, 2011

Schlafly is one of my 2 favorite pumpkin beers so far. I still need to try good gourd.

MudDrinker likes this.
  21. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

Last year, when i was really in my first year of craft, i bought entirely too much of each style and each seasonal beer. I bought a case of DFH punkin, like 2 4 packs of Weyerbacher pumpkin, smuttynose pumpkin and a few bombers (pumking, smashed pumpkin)...i still have some of them leftover this year..i am actually drinking a dfh punkin from last year and it is decent...honestly just trying to not drink my rare stouts for a change...all in all, next year i plan on to buy maybe 12-18 pumpkin beers, or trade for some as i do think schafly and alewerks were better than the main ones (dfh, southern tier).

22. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Nope.

Nope.

And...nope.
    But if you agree, the same could be said of bourbon.

23. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Savant (325) Colorado Dec 22, 2012

There are a lot of lame pumpkins, and for every good one there are like five crappy ones taking up shelf space. I always keep trying though, and this year I thought the Elysian Night Owl was great, Dogfish Head was pretty good, and for a more available go-to, the Lakefront was decent. Everything else I tried was pretty much crap. If more breweries undertook it as something other than a gimmick, we'd probably have a better spread.

24. Drink La Parcela. It shits all over the rest.