1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Purging inactive users.

Discussion in 'Site' started by barleywinefiend, Dec 24, 2012.

1. I may have overlooked this but here goes..
    Does BA currently have a method to identify and purge inactive members or members who obviously joined to write a scathing or great reviews for a nemesis or pal and then disappears?

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

2. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

From the little I know of web coding, I'm sure there's a way for the webmasters to see the activity of each and every profile that's ever been created. This would be something to look into, I've seen many accounts that have nothing but 4 or 5 reviews of highly acclaimed beers, all with a rating of 1 or something similar, and no board activity.

Not saying people can't have their opinions, but clearly somethings up there.

3. You've inspired me to post. I am not very active in posting. I review the site often, almost daily, and subscribe to the magazine, but just do not post often. I have not posted a review, but have reviewed over 50 beers in a journal I keep. Anyhow, I hope if inactive users are purged, I am not one of them.

k7sw likes this.
  4. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Not sure how you define an inactive user - for the first couple of years after I joined BA, I mostly just used it to check out some friend's reviews and scan the forums. That means I was not actively posting to the forums or writing reviews (in fact, the addition of Hads/Wants/Gots is what got me to move from inactive to active) but I was still on the site fairly regularly.

I guess I have no problem with inactive or infrequent users, so not sure why they need to be removed... On the other hand, people that are just pimping their buddy's brewery with amazing reviews or slamming really well reviewed beers I would be suspect of their intentions.

Hence, I think it is great that you can see what other reviews people have and use that as a basis for weighting the influence of their reviews.

5. Hello. I've never reviewed beers, I've posted a little, but I certainly utilize this site MANY times a day. I don't know why I would qualify to be purged. If you want to purge me, I can still access this site for all my needs. Thanks.

6. Valid and active lurkers are more common than you'd think, so purging is a bad idea.

The occasional fake review is going to have very little impact on anything, and if you truly suspect shenanigans, you can always report it.

CMUbrew and Chaz like this.
  7. Inactive members are no detriment to the site. As some have chimed in, they use it for getting information. Not everyone likes posting to forums and interacting online. I really see no need to purge inactive members.

jhartley and mwar like this.
  8. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

As long as a member is not a plant of some kind, deliberately writing either scathing or glowing reviews for the benefit of someone else, there is no reason to "purge" anyone. The extent to which someone uses the site should be totally up to them.

9. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Could be wrong, but maybe the OP saw the awful and uneducated review of hilliards brewery. That user should be purged. I reported it long ago- pretty sure that feature is just ignored

barleywinefiend likes this.
  10. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I don't think the definition of inactive is a lurker though. People who are on every day but offer nothing to the site are still active.

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing the OP meant users who haven't signed on since 2008 or something, but I believe a purge was done when they move to the new/current format. Todd can verify this if I'm right.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  11. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Looks like you're right.
    "Conversion of 285,000+ users is complete. This means that any non-forum content has been synced to their migrated account. Took 5+ days to complete! Would have been 10 days if we hadn't purged 250,000+ inactive users before the migration."

Bitterbill and dvelcich like this.
  12. Does BA currently have a method to identify and purge inactive members or members who obviously joined to write a scathing or great review for a nemesis or pal and then disappears?
    Yeah, I am NOT referrring to anyone who ocassionally visits the site, rates a beer, posts in forums so on. Not everyone has time to live on BA and that I truly understand since I now have a newborn. Time and sleep are precious these days. Inactive to me is six months+ with zero activity.

As Dirtylou mentioned above, I notice accounts with zero activity in months who have one review and its pretty outlandish. It makes me wonder the validity and intent of the user. It works both ways, because I see local fanboys(identified a few personally) create accounts, post marvelous reviews(mainly as backdoor support because most of the other BA reviews are not so freindly) for their buddies and then vanish never to re-enter BA again or contribute in any other way. Good, bad, ugly reviews are always needed to keep the balance but sometimes it's blatantly obvious.

Perfect example:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26918/?view=beerfly
    Scathing review by ben121212. Joined May 12, wrote one terrible review and disappears.

13. k7sw

k7sw Aficionado (105) Washington Mar 3, 2011

Came back to the site after a year of not posting, glad to see I haven't been purged. That said, my reviews are all terrible ;)