Quality Noob Trader

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by UHCougar12, May 17, 2012.

1. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (500) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I recently made a $20 trade with a noob trader mjn78. He made a mistake and had completely taped up the bubble wrap, so I had to slice it off with a knife. Not knowing there was a can as an extra a sliced it open. I mentioned to him his mistake, and he quickly packed up another box with a replacement as well as sent 2 more extras a FFF Zombie and FFF Dreadnaught. Definitely a quality trader.

Though a noob, Just thought I would let fellow traders know of a quality trader.

jegross2 and pschul4 like this.
  2. That's awesome of him! But damn you must have been slicing hard to go through a can.

3. UHCougar12

Well, the first six had been bottles, so the amount of pressure was assumed constant.

4. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (555) California May 3, 2011

We're you using a Ginsu Knife? Those are pretty badass...

5. Snowrs

Snowrs Savant (390) Indiana Oct 10, 2009

So he used a bit of tape and you went Lizzy Borden on the tape, and you got him to send you another 15 dollars worth of beer on a 20 dollar trade, He probably thought you were going to use the knife on him.

claaark13, CwrwAmByth, Dat and 32 others like this.
  6. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Taping up the bubble wrap is not a "mistake". I do it intentionally as I wrap things up as solid units to minimize chances of breaking.

ediaz, dman5400, mikul93 and 7 others like this.
  7. UHCougar12

He had used more than a "bit". I never asked for extras, and even denied he send a replacement. Maybe the knife was implied?....

8. While I am still noobish, I generally tape up the bubble wrap as well....I've read the "best shipping practices" thread or whatever and always thought that was dumb rule. Just so you can reuse he bubble wrap?

What if a bottle broke, and FedEx opened the box, and the bubble wrap that wasn't taped comes off and they just toss the bottles back inside the box (I've seen this happen on here, but don't remember the thread) and all the bottles break by the time they arrive. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of bubble wrap (it is usually still reusable anyway)

EricCioe likes this.
  9. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Give me your address- I want to send you a 40 lb box of taped up bubblewrap!

yamar68 likes this.
  10. UHCougar12

Interesting. This was the first time in 6 trades that I've received items taped. Maybe us 6 are in the minority.

If a bottle breaks, bubble wrap and packing tape isn't going to contain 12-22oz of fluid that's common sense.

11. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I think the mistake was in your unwrapping skills.

12. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

I sometimes tape shit up, but I use so much packing material that I don't think anyone would complain. My trading partners usually end up with enough packing material to re-send out 2 or 3 trades. I tend to go a little overboard, like 6 lbs of beer ends up being a 14 lb box overboard.

gpawned, Allsmoke and markasparov like this.
  13. fiedler84

fiedler84 Savant (300) Pennsylvania Dec 23, 2011

I use a few rubber bands now in place of tape.

silentjay, Gritch and UHCougar12 like this.
  14. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (615) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

For the record, using tape is absolutely normal. I don't know why anyone wouldn't use tape to secure the bubble wrap. However, there is no need to mummify beers with tape. Doing so makes getting the bubble wrap off in one good piece impossible. I typically use one two inch pice of tape to secure the bubble wrap.

HopsJunkiedotcom likes this.
  15. mdvatab

mdvatab Savant (440) Indiana Apr 5, 2006

I've found that shrink wrap over the bubblewrap is the best way to go. You can wrap the shrink wrap around the top of the bottle to prevent leakage, and can wrap it around the outside of the bubblewrap instead of tape. It holds the bubblewrap in place w/o sticking to it. And the bubble wrap can be re-used w/o any sticky tape binding it up or causing it to tear. They sell hand-held shrink wrap dispensers at Home Depot for around the price of a roll of duct tape...

nsheehan and alwaysanswerb like this.
  16. FTowne

I have bubble wrap bags and styrofoam "sleeves" available at work now. Pretty kick ass combination for wrapping bottles.

17. mdvatab

mdvatab Savant (440) Indiana Apr 5, 2006

Also--while I agree w/ the OP about excessive tape being a bit of a pain, it's on the recipient if they accidentally slice open a can or drop a bottle. "Noob" or not, the sender went way beyond the call of duty in this case.

tehzachatak, EricCioe and rrryanc like this.
  18. FTowne

I dig your avatar. I need to upload a pic of my actual dog.

Sorry, off topic.

mdvatab likes this.
  19. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

If my trading partner sliced through a can I would laugh at them for being "challenged". Good lord, while I use rubber bands and shrink wrap on the bubble wrap exclusively now (I once used taped), I have gotten MANY taped up packages and I find using a bit of care it isn't that big of a deal and makes nice padding/filler for packages. I would never slice through hard enough to nick a can, hell I am careful to not cut labels even. I will classify this under "extreme fail".....

mikul93, CwrwAmByth, gpawned and 14 others like this.
  20. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

OP has 6 trades which does not qualify him as experienced in my book. Perhaps a n00b mistake on OP's part?

However, the other guy certainly went above and beyond.

gpawned, yamar68 and EricCioe like this.
  21. FTowne

Awesome for him to resend more beer...but what kind of knife were you using?!

22. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

I thought we'd seen it all with the back-to-back bad trader threads where the OPs basically outed themselves...

This site (and the beer trading section specifially) continues to entertain!

23. ejeffer11

ejeffer11 Savant (315) New York Feb 15, 2008

with all due respect OP, he didn't make a mistake.

24. Hmmm... I'm thinking packaging something well isn't really noob. More so the violent, impatient and anxious opener going medieval on the wrapping as if he was a 5 year old getting to open his first present on xmas.

For the record, remind me not to trade with you. The fact you would call some one a noob for your own bone head noobiness and try to get him to send another box is BS.

25. Accurate. The best part is I'm sure that at least someone else to whom I've sent a box thinks I'm the master of packing because I took about a third of what you packed with a single bottle to pack a large box, and it was still incredibly well padded.

26. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Thread delivers, thanks.

27. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

definitely an evolution of the "good trader" thread. "though [blank], he's a good trader." hah.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  28. Im sure this thread will help mjn78 out with his future trades. Might do the opposite for you though. Pretty lame unless it went down like this-
    You- Dude youll never believe what happened. I sliced open that can you packed up so well. No big deal though, my fault. Thanks for the good trade.
    Him- No shit? That sucks. Let me send you another to replace it.
    You- No, thats crazy talk.
    Him- You sure?
    You- Yep, its cool.
    But then he sends it anyways because hes a good guy.

29. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Try not to stab the bubble wrap off the bottles next time.

dbc5 likes this.
  30. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

Unless this dude used black bubble wrap, how exactly did you mistake a can for a bottle?!?!

luwak, jegross2, Sesmu and 1 other person like this.
  31. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I don't use tape or shrink wrap, I find this ensures I use enough to really secure it, and to pack it in tightly enough to withstand anything.

Thanks for printing mjn78's name, I am guessing plenty want to trade with him now, including me. You, OP? Not so much.

32. OP, this thread is all sorts of fail on your part. I cannot believe you said he made a "mistake" because you sliced the can on a kick ass packing job.

mikul93, jegross2 and cosmicevan like this.
  33. use rubber bands, that way the bubble wrap and the bands can be re used. Plues a ball of rubber bands costs less than $2

34. Better practice? Sure. A mistake to use tape? Hell no. As long as it gets there fine, who really cares?

35. no way was I saying he made a mistake, I was just informing of different methods to you know, be all conservative and stuff.

36. Fair enough.

37. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Yeah I mean I try to make it where my packaging can be reused, but my top priority is to get the beer to its destination safely even if that means sacrificing some packaging material.

mikul93, libbey, JM03 and 1 other person like this.
  38. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

Helll im a noob trader and my wife laughs at me because i take an hour to pack a box. Then put that box in another box. Not going to take any chances on my trading rep. Nope not gonna do it!

beernads and pschul4 like this.
  39. When I pull the knife out to open up a heavily taped beer, I treat that shit like I'm performing heart surgery. You never know what may lie underneath.

While I prefer people don't tape their packages to survive a machete attack, it's still preferable to not using enough packaging. And yes, as others have pointed out, it's quite normal to tape. Definitely not a 'mistake' on his part.

40. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

This made my morning. I do use tape and usually tape the hell out of stuff, but if you feel the need to go samurai on the bubblewrap that is on you, not him.