1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Qu'est ce que c'est? Seepage?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by FEUO, Dec 13, 2012.

1. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I assume its seepage, but what causes it? Pressure or fit?
    More importantly, is my beer ok?
    Its Judgement Day Ale bottled 5/7/12 and planning to have it on 12/21/12.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

I've noticed this on a lot of Lost Abbey bottles here locally, always afraid to try them.
  3. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Have seen this one some cork and caged stuff before.
    Brought back some La Trappe stuff on a plane once and it wasn't wet before departure.. after the flight the cork was a little loose (almost imperceptibly so) and the beer was foaming out.
    I assume it is a pressure/heat issue.
  4. I think it might be due to the cork being affected by temp making it shrink and grow. That's just an assumption based on guitar necks though
    franklinn likes this.
  5. FEUO

Temperature impacts makes some sense. I have had it in my refrigerator for a little over a month. It wasn't seeping when I put it in there.
  6. Read this on a wine page. Be careful about storing your wine too cold because it will cause the cork to shrink letting air in.
  7. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

My Lost Abbey Judgement day looks exactly the same. I haven't tried it yet. (same bottling date too)
  8. Arodnum1

Arodnum1 Disciple (60) May 14, 2012

I never store any corked beer in the refrigerator, always in a container hidden from light in a constant temperature until time to enjoy, i allow about 3 hours to refrigerate at 38 degrees or so depending on style. never actually had this but have heard horror stories of it, hope your judgement day is ok
  9. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

I've seen this one wine before, never beer. Could possibly be that these weren't corked properly, temperature, or were laid on their side and caused pressure? This is usually the case with wine..
    After seeing that, I wouldn't drink it. I think that means air got through and the beer is most likely flat by now. Only one way to find out.
  10. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Not much too add but I've seen this on the big 3L bottles quite a bit before when seeing them at stores. Seen it on the giant double bastards, some allagash stuff, a piraat, etc...
  11. I think it will be okay to drink just a little flat
  12. Blame it on the Mayans.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  13. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (295) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

Aren't you supposed to cellar corked bottles on their side to avoid the cork drying out and allowing air in?
  14. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

Environmental humidity has more to do with the cork drying out than storing on it's side.
  15. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Advocate (645) Maine Sep 11, 2010

16. FEUO

Thanks for all the info, gents.
    I will pull from fridge to avoid any further seepage. I will provide a report upon opening next Friday.
    And I will have a backup plan (beer) in case she done gone bad.
  17. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (295) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

Thanks! I just reorganized my cellar and turned the corked beers on their sides this week... Now I'll run downstairs and undo that!
  18. Amerikon

Amerikon Savant (285) California Apr 17, 2008

I had this happen to a few bottles of Russian River stuff I have and naturally I panicked a bit so I opened one of each type of bottle that was seeping. The bottles were between 6 and 12 months old and I don't know when the seepage started, but the beer inside was fine. Since that's a pretty young bottle I don't think you'll have any problems with it.
  19. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I wouldn't bother. For one, the negative effects they describe in the article don't actually seem to happen (I had tons of side-cellared beers in Belgium, never got off flavors from them, and I imagine the cult of "store on the side" which is prevalent over there wouldn't have happened if it created nasty flavors, and all the effects should be noticeable in wine too, but don't seem to happen there). For two, they'd take a really long time, so unless you're planning on multiple years of cellaring then it's probably fine either way.

I've argued about this on here a lot, and now can say that I have ~80 bottles sitting on their side as well as a bunch more sitting upright. (Because I'm a rebel one rack is corked beers, mostly lambics, and the other is all Bruery bottles. "Off flavors" from cork/cap here I come!) Why? Because I don't think it matters. Storing on the side is way more space-efficient if you have racks for it, and I managed to get some for cheap/free so I use them. If storing on the side is easier for you, go for it. If storing upright is easier, then go for that. If doing a mixture is easiest, then do that.

As for the OP, I don't think this is that uncommon. I've seen it on lambic bottles and they all tasted as expected. I wouldn't be shocked if the beer ended up being a bit off, but I'd be pretty surprised if it were suddenly terrible.
  20. FEUO

From someone at Port Brewing / The Lost Abbey:
    From our Director of Production, Gwen Conley:
    You are in luck, it is not damaged. What you see here is a bottle that has been filled with more beer than it should have been. We add additional yeast and sugar at time of packaging to produce CO2. When the bottles are filled with too much beer, it tries to escape out of the cork. It will not harm the flavor and will not allow air back in because of the positive pressure that has been built up from the CO2. It should taste excellent and you even get a tad bit more beer than we intended!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
    Cheers,
    Gwen

Lucky me! ;)
  21. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

22. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

bumping this to report that I consumed my bottle that had this 'seepage', and it was fantastic.
    jedwards likes this.
  23. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

seepage = carbonated LA bottles? awesome!