1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Question about 750ml bottle shapes

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Why are 750ml beer bottles mostly only shaped like wine bottles like this:

[​IMG]

But never like this:

[​IMG]

Oxidation, carbonation, etc? Or are there bottles shaped like that latter? Not that it matters much but I was just curious.

2. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

My first thought would be that pouring out of #2 would get you nothing but a big glass of foam due to the bottleneck.

njhopspop likes this.
  3. Victory 750's come in the latter. No foaming issues that I've seen. St. B Xmas is in the second style too.

4. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (630) Germany Apr 13, 2008

Here's a 0.75L bottle from Germany. It's from Faust Brauerei and the bottle is normal.
    [​IMG]

Here's a 1L bottle, again from Germany. These look like normal beer bottles, don't they? This one is from Pax Bräu.
    [​IMG]

5. In the US, the "champagne" style bottle was probably the early, first choice for US craft brewers, because they were available from US glass companies and were manufactured to be able to hold carbonated beverages. (They even took a crown cap - used in "méthode champenoise").

The earliest example I can think of were first bottled vintages of Old Foghorn that came in dark green champagne "splits" (187 ml or 6.3 oz. on OF's label).

[​IMG]

BrettHead, Boilerfood and drtth like this.
  6. Yeah I was going to make the connection between champagne style bottles being the immediate choice for carbonated beverages, but I have no idea if there is a science behind this, nor what it would be if there were one.

Although I could make a couple educated guesses. First that the bottle top is acclimated for the cork/cage seal. Also the comment earlier about the more rounded bottle contours being better suited for pouring a carbonated drink seems to have weight.

7. Most of Jolly Pumpkin bottles are very close to #2pic

luwak likes this.
  8. Primarily, just that the bottle was manufactured to have thicker glass walls and that concave base for strength to contain high levels of carbonation. IIRC, Garrett Oliver once stated it was originally designed for beer.

Ernest_Hooper likes this.
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

The old 1L bottles from Grand Teton were like #2 except the neck was shorter.

[​IMG]

10. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

In the OP's post.. if they were shaped like the one you were inquiring about it would most definitely mess with the carbonation upon pouring. There's a big time "glug" when you pour wine due to the straight neck (possibly for oxidation on pouring??). If you look at the other either examples that others posted here, they have that bubble in the bottom of the neck aiding a more smooth pour, preventing the "glug."

11. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

You're like a beer encyclopedia. We should appoint you as chief of the forum.

BrettHead and sommersb like this.
  12. codysjb

codysjb Savant (425) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Our Market Research Shows That Tickers Like Really Specific Bottle Types So We Made this Bottle to Have the Absolute Roundest Shape Ever