1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Question about buying multiples of limited releases.

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by krl2112, Nov 22, 2012.

1. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

They pop up in craigslist often. Look at Chicago on craigslist and there is someone selling a rare and coffee for $200 which would mean the rare is $180.

2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Do you think they'd split it with me for $90 ?

3. This. Utopias sits at a lot of stores. (Or at least it did in the past.) Are people chasing trucks for it now?

Fucking fat kids and cupcakes in this place.

4. Chris_Cali_2o9

Chris_Cali_2o9 Aficionado (245) Nov 18, 2012

I believe you have got yourself in a wee bit of a pickle OP. Frankly, can't really think of why someone would create this thread, other then to stir up the pot... you must have known this wouldn't end well.

crushedvol and guillemiro like this.
  5. krl2112

Actually I though this was a good conversation for the most part. If unread my original post I am fairly new to this. I have been on wine for 15 years but it is much different. I got my answer from a few people that answers early on in the post so I am good now. Thanks.

6. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

krl2112 likes this.
  7. krl2112

That is great advice and I could not agree with u more and these were my thoughts as well for the most part when I posted this but I wanted to validate my thoughts. Thanks again!

8. Everything is backwards in Texas

I kid I kid

9. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (220) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

You seem too aggressive/capitialistic/wall street like to be beer people. WHY THE FUCK are looking up beer on craigslist? Have patience, be cool, be generous, and don't think of beer as a commodity.

10. krl2112

Not capitalistic/wall street or I would be selling it. I initially went on craigslist because they have a barter area and I was looki got trade beer on there before I found out about BA. Now I stay in here.

11. jodan

jodan Initiate (0) California Jul 24, 2008

Apparently it's the quick way to amassing a 'collection' of beer you're not going to drink.

12. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

Honestly, I think these are the posts that stir things up. Were not examining what his motives for posting are. He asked for critical responses if a BA has one, chime in. If you think the thread is stupid move on or like someones snarky comment that says what you are thinking. 7 Utopias is a lot of money and I don't make salary, but maybe he does. Maybe even an above average one. What he does with his money is none of our business. but if I made 60-80 grand a year I would have way too much beer... and it would be great.

Chris_Cali_2o9 and krl2112 like this.
  13. krl2112

Nope. I drink and age them and have friends over to try them, etc.

14. krl2112

Exactly.

15. So why didn't you buy the Rare instead of paying more for a Utopia and trading it for a Rare?

16. krl2112

If u read my reply I said a rare and a few others. Plus that was one of my first trades so I was a little "green" in trading then.

17. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Rare goes for $180???

18. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I always buy 2 bottles of anything new... one bottle to try now and one to cellar for later (as long as it is the appropriate style). I do this with stuff that is non-cellarable as well so if I like it I can have it at least one more time without having to try to track it down (Austin is a beer geek city, so stuff can go fast and never be found again thereafter).

krl2112 likes this.
  19. Chris_Cali_2o9

Chris_Cali_2o9 Aficionado (245) Nov 18, 2012

I do this with 6/4 packs, i always pull one out to save for later. I have about 60 different singles chillin in my room. Not really "cellaring" them, just keeping them in case i get an itch for something.

20. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Haha now you see
    -This thread is going the exact way all previous ones went as Mr. grub predicted.
    -Why people were hesitant to reply at first.

While you started this thread ostensibly to find out attitudes, you managed to blow your own horn regarding some crazy amounts of big buck beer which, if I didn't know better, was the real main purpose of this thread. I have no advice to give you, and since you aren't looking for my approval or jealousy I won't congratulate you either.

21. ElderPuma

ElderPuma Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2012

I personally see no problem with buying however much of any beer you can get your hands on. If it is there and you put in the time and effort it is yours to buy and do whatever you want with. If you are like me, and it sounds like you are, you buy up what you feel is appropriate which is generally 1 or 2 to try now, some others to hold for either cellaring or drinking in the future, and a few others to trade if you are lucky enough to get that much. Beer is a bit of a commodity in that the local stuff that doesn't get distributed nationwide is your opportunity to essentially get access to beers that are not distributed in your area via trades. I got incredibly lucky with BCBS this yeah and bought way more than I should have but in 5 years when I am sitting down with good friends for verticals and sampling of past vintages I am not going to be regretting my purchase of the BCBS this year and all of the other goodies it got me in trades.

krl2112 likes this.
  22. I certainly have stores I poach from that don't know any better. I also respect bottle limits when they are in place, does that make me a bad guy? i think not. if you can afford it and respect bottle limits, then go for it. And Listen to Cappadonna "The Pillage" on your ride home.

krl2112 likes this.
  23. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Just as a tip, don't treat beer like wine. Most of what you're buying shouldn't be cellared. It seems like you're amassing a collection rather than cellar. Do you think every single one of your beers should be cellared because you think they're going to improve with age, or you're just doing it to do it because you heard one guy in the forum say a 2009 Alpha Klaus was drinking "amazingly"?

A lot of us have cellared things we probably shouldn't have and have learned from it, especially first starting out. You said yourself that you're very new so I'm curious where you got the information to cellar every single beer you have.

24. IMO, building up a cellar should take years, not months. Buy your allotment of limited relases at 1-2 stores and trade/cellar some of those. A few years of doing this you should have a nice cellar. To me it just sounds like you are new to craft beer (or at least the cellaring/collecting), have a very large beer budget and are jumping into the game head first buying way more than you will ever drink. That being said, this is just my personal opinion, you can do whatever you want, it's your money and the way you are spending it's great for the industry.

25. krl2112

I was not blowing my own horn. I was using it as an example. Not sure how buying beer is blowing my own horn. It was merly an example. Sometimes people try and read further into something that what is actually written. I think in all of my replys, etc j have tried to make it abundantly clear that my intentions for posting this in the first place were to seek advice, etc. I did get that in the first few replies so now I am good.

26. krl2112

Thanks. Ur input and validation is much appreciated. This is exactly why I posted this thread in the first place, to get honest AND constructive feedback. When I posted I had no idea I would get such negative and just off the wall comments. Geesh!!

27. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

To answer the original question(s) from OP, I don't see any problem with anything you are doing. If you are hoarding beer and not trading them back out into the community, or if you are ripping people off in your trades then I could see it as being unsavory, but from what I can tell everything you are doing seems to be completely community-friendly. I'm not sure why so many people are getting riled up about this. More power to you....

krl2112 likes this.
  28. krl2112

So
    So I read a lot and researched here considerably before starting to cellar. Much of what I read about cellaring was actually on BA. I also talk with fellow beer geeks who I have done trades with, etc.

29. krl2112

Thanks and that was my feeling as well. If u r ever interested in getting together to open some brews together I would be interested. Most of my close friends don't appreciate the majority of craft brews and part of the reason for this hobby is for me to share!!

30. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Most of us have no clue what we're doing. In about 1-2 years there will be so much overaged beer... Beer that would have been better consumed at 0-6 months. Hopefully there will be enough 2015 Utopias to cash it in at under $4$.

crushedvol likes this.
  31. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

So basically you are driving around store to store buying your bottle limit of limited releases and then drinking some and trading some? That is pretty much what the majority of people in the trading circuit do. I may have to go back through the thread and see why it exploded.

32. krl2112

Yes this is exactly what I am doing and honestly just wanted to make sure that was the norm. Thanks for validating. If it was not the norm, I would have changed a bit to make sure Iwas in line with it. Thanks again!

33. I forgot one of the things that will incite the crowd:

- Implying in even the barest sense that you are collecting rare beer for the sake of collecting.

That bit came too late, I see.

34. krl2112

I am not colelcting for the sake of collecting. I am buying these beers or trading for them because I would like to try them myself and share with my friends. It is the same with wine; if you are a wine lover then you always have a goal of trying various bottles like Opus One, etc. This is the same with Dark Lord, Pliny, Black Tuesday, Utopias, etc. You drink these for the experience, etc.

35. Agreed.

36. I think you're well within your rights to do things the way you're doing them. It does seems like you're really charging into things head on, which in my opinion can be a bit of a silly way to do things. I mean you haven't been interested in beer for very long and yet you're dropping what sound slike thousands of dollars to build up your cellar instantly. If you weren't interested in craft 6 months ago, how can you be sure you will be six months from now? I think a more measured approach is a smarter way to go, but it is your money, and if this is how you choose to spend it, you'll get to taste a lot of great beer.

The one thing I will never understand, and it's an attitude many on here share, not just you, is why trading beer is somehow more 'honorable' than selling it. Personally, I only buy beer for my own consumption, but if you're buying up 5 bottles of Utopias that you know you're not going to drink, I can't see how it possibly makes a difference whether you trade those bottles for other beer or sell them.

37. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

To answer the original OP: If there is a bottle limit, stick to it and don't try to get around it in any way. If there is not a bottle limit, don't ever empty the shelf. Of course in reality you can buy whatever you want when it is for sale, but that last bit is just a nice thing to do. Advocacy. You never know who is coming along behind you.

Other advice: Don't make the mistake of convincing yourself that just because you trade good beer out into the community that you are doing it for any reason other than personal gain. Your trades may be fair, but you are still receiving something for it. If your justification for grabbing that last bottle along with the 6 you already have is because you'll trade it to someone that really wants it, that's not altruistic in any way. Recognize your own intentions.

Don't drop too many huge names or financial details at once. It smacks of braggadocio, and jealousy abounds here just as any other place in society. Not too long ago another fellow that has been mentioned already popped up and started out in a similar fashion. This community tried to embrace him, and in return he burned several people and turned out to be quite an ass. He's a legend now. Don't be that guy. You are getting this type of response because people here remember him.

Also, it's "you" and "your/you're". You don't look like a teenage girl. You shouldn't write like one.

Welcome to BA

Knifestyles and shyhenry like this.
  38. krl2112

Sorry my grammar vexed you. It was from me typing on my cell phone late last night and not my computer. Honestly that was a bit of a childish poke. We are talking about beer and if I wanted a tutorial in writing fluency I would have gone to a past professor and not a beer geek. LOL.

39. Oh I get that sense, yes. But if there's even a scent of it, people will strike.

40. krl2112

Yeah I get that as well. Some people on here seem nice and others like vipers. Very caddy. Anyway I honestly thought these forums were for true open and non-prosecuted discussions. However I have learned quickly and will most likely not get involved in these talks.