1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

question about gushter infection

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by slayerhellfire, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Ok so I just read about this and was wondering if maybe my oatmeal stout had this type infection, I brewed a oatmeal stout awhile ago maybe 5-6 months ruffly and I think my target gravity was not on where it was suppose to be but still came out good. Many of my friends loved it, tasted alittle thin imo, but the others liked it. I had some still in my basement and just cracked one open and all I got is gushing, thin flavor, totally different taste- not good. I use sanstar on all of my brewing stuff, I soak all the bottles in it as well, in a 5 gallon bucket, even the caps etc. I know i didnt over carbonate, what is everyones suggestion and dose this sound like a gusher infection? I always reuse my bottles so maybe some suggestions on cleaning them better??

But the thing is I did a DIPA after this brew and it was awesome I used some of the bottles from the stout as well.
  2. Gusher infection I mean in the title lol
  3. granted the beer has been in my basement, the one that was in the fridge did not gush out when I opened, but tasted very over carbonated
  4. the oatmeal stout was brewed in the spring of 2012 as well
  5. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (500) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

What was your FG? I would check the FG of it now compared to what it was back when you bottled. If it is just overcarbed th FG should be the same. If it is lower then you probably had an infection. I had a gusher infection hit my brewhouse in late 2011. I wrote a series of blogs about it from January through through April 2012. My blog should be on my profile, End of Silence Brewing. Feel free to read through for more info on what I went through and did to clean it up.
    psnydez86 likes this.
  6. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

To OP: be sure to de-gas your sample before checking gravity.
    jbakajust1 likes this.
  7. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (500) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

I thought that but forgot to type it, thanks for getting that in there.

To OP: I pour the bet in the blender and let it rip until it is back to flat beer, then check the FG.
  8. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

I've had yeast poop out before and went to bottle and then it kick back up over time. No off-flavor, just over-carbed. This was after I stepped up my cleaning/sanitation due to a gusher infection, which definitely flattens flavor and gives a musty type thing of its own. So I've stepped up my care of yeasts and pitching rates as well.

So I guess the question I'm asking is how well did you treat the yeast? Did it reach expected FG?
  9. I star
    I started a hefty yeast starter, and kept it at its temp range, also used good sanitation with starsan