1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Question about Russian Imperial Stouts

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by igorquad, Apr 5, 2013.

1. I had a problem with them too back in december, they gave my money back about 2 months later, Mine got stuck in US Costoms and never made it, thats atleast what the tracking said about it. If you were in the US I would suggest Old Rasputan but I don't think they have made it to the UK, some styles just arent for everyone.

2. After only 1 day Paypal refunded my money, so it's all good, although I am still disappointed with the fact that I won't be able to try that Black Albert yet. Hopefully I can find it somewhere else.

So, I took a few advices on and ordered that Samuel Smith RIS and their Oatmeal stout, plus a Brooklyn Black Chocolate stout, just to start with. I almost got a BCBS too but the price was a bit steep (it is more expensive than the other 3 combined), especially because there's a chance that I may not like it. If I can't relate to any of these, then it might be that Stouts are really not my thing.

3. Reneejane

Reneejane Savant (415) Illinois Jan 15, 2004

good on getting the oatmeal stout from Samual smiths, that's a slower way to ease in, have that one first. Also, still I'd suggest snagging a Mackeson XXX milk stout, are those findable in your area, I know they're UK brewed, but I can't guess at how they are distributed there or if just for export.

4. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (600) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

Try Stone RIS or try Old Rasputin. Also, I'd recommend restraining yourself from licking burnt wood. The danger of tongue slivers is terrifying.

5. So.... yesterday I had the privilege of tasting a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout! Wow, this is a completely different beer than that horrendous Cocoa Psycho! The smell and taste are very pleasant and are not an assault on the senses. This is what I expected from a RIS, a nice balance between sweet and roasty characters. I am glad that I didn't give up on RISs altogether after my first bad experience. :)