1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Question about shipping problem

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by AlexFields, Jan 14, 2013.

1. AlexFields

AlexFields Savant (465) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

A box I shipped recently with FedEx was flagged as damaged and returned to me. I couldn't find anything broken or missing in the box unless it was an extra I threw in and forgot about that they discarded when they inspected the box. Anyway, I just got the shipment returned and there's a sticker on the box that says "improper shipment of alcohol."

I haven't received a phone call or E-mail or anything from FedEx about this outside of the tracking information from the package. Do I have anything to worry about in terms of my account being flagged? If I try to ship my trade partner the beer again via FedEx is it likely they would inspect the package just because they recognized it from last time? I have never had a broken or damaged beer in any of my boxes in my three years of trading until now, so I really have no idea what to expect. I don't know if I should be switching to UPS or what...

Any guidance or feedback from similar experiences would be much appreciated.
  2. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (345) California Jan 15, 2010

Hey Alex,

I wouldn't worry about it, just reship at a different location if you can and try to reduce any movement in the box, my FedEx are real sticklers when it comes to that.
  3. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

They probably heard the sloshing and assumed it be be alcohol. Repack it so you can't hear a damn thing and reship UPS. You won't hear anything from them, it's a done deal, they didn't deliver and you got your stuff back.
  4. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

Where were you sending the box? I've had some problems shipping to the northeast and a few others from that way tell me to ship UPS to avoid hassles. Maybe it was just an overzealous hub that opens everything.
  5. AlexFields

AlexFields Savant (465) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

Shipping to Ohio. The guy I was shipping to said he received a few boxes from FedEx the day after mine was supposed to get there so there doesn't seem to be a more general problem.