1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Question for the Georgia BA's.

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by Hardcore, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore Savant (300) Hawaii Jun 24, 2012

Hi, I'll be visiting in April for a cousin's wedding and it's just a weekend trip. I'll be in Alpharetta and was wondering what your favorite local beers are. I want to try as much local beers that I can since I probably wont be in Georgia again for awhille. I prefer IPA's, stouts, and ambers, but I drink just about anything. I have been looking at Sweetwater, Terrapin and Redbrick. Also, are there good selections in the grocery stores? Due to limited time, and others in my group that don't care about beer, I probably wont get to visit any of the world class stores and bars/restaurants you have there. Thanks

2. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

Sweetwater IPA and 420 you can find in grocery stores
    Maybe Wild Heaven Ode to Mercy...great brown ale

3. Sweetwater ipa is under appreciated and I agree, ode to mercy is very good. There are also some nice limited edition beers from red brick. Smoked vanilla gorrilla and 17th anniversary are two i brought home from a recent trip to Athens

4. bctdi

bctdi Aficionado (200) Georgia Dec 8, 2008

get some terrapin wake n bake and sweetwater happy ending if you see any. They are both available right now and fantastic stouts. Sweetwater ipa is definately worth picking up like others have said.Terrapin Rye PA is a real nice pale ale made with rye that is widely available around here.

5. DawgPhan

DawgPhan Aficionado (150) Georgia Mar 23, 2012

Wake and Bake and Happy Ending are going to be gone before April, I would think. Hopzilla might be out in April.

There is a total wine in Alpharetta that is going to have a much better selection than the grocery stores.

Jailhouse Brewing, Burnt Hickory, Terrapin, Sweetwater, Red Brick all have solid offerings. I like the Exodus Porter from Sweetwater.

6. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Savant (415) Georgia Sep 15, 2007

Luckily, there is one really good store not far from Alpharetta now. Ale Yeah's Roswell store is maybe a couple miles off of exit 7.

As far as good selections in grocery stores, if you are looking for just those few local options the 12 oz bottle options from them would likely be in most grocery stores.

7. PDXHops

PDXHops Savant (475) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008

Another hearty recommendation for Sweetwater IPA. Transplanted NW hophead here, and this is the only Southern IPA that has a permanent slot in my beer fridge. Grapefruit bomb when super fresh. (And best of all, Sweetwater dates the bottles; bottling date is 3 months before the 'best by' date.)

Not a huge fan of many Terrapin beers, but if you like coffee stouts, definitely give the Wake n Bake a try.

8. MagicJeff

MagicJeff Savant (300) Georgia Mar 21, 2012

What he said---Total Wine in Alpharetta and Ale Yeah! are both easily accessible and have great selections. Publix and Kroger seem to be stepping their game up in terms of selection but it isn't really that consistent; that said, you should be fine most anywhere you go in Alpharetta/Roswell

9. Hardcore

Hardcore Savant (300) Hawaii Jun 24, 2012

Hey thanks for the replies. Fortunately, the hotel I'm staying at is near the Total Wine and the hotel bar does have some Sweetwater offerings as well.

10. PhillyStyle

PhillyStyle Savant (490) Georgia Apr 8, 2008

Go with any Terrapin offering before Sweetwater. I have lived in Atlanta for some time now and have given Sweetwater numerous tries and I fail to understand why people recommend it.

11. yeah check out the alpharetta total wine because they will be able to help get you a good local selection of some good beers. I work at the total wine not to far from that one and they should have pretty much the same selection and you shouldn't be disappointed. hope you enjoy your time down here!

12. JamesBell

JamesBell Savant (360) Georgia Jan 22, 2013

If you hind anything serving Red Hare on draft, I myself like their chocolate porter, but that may be off your taste a little. If I understand, they do not bottle yet so you have to find it on tap. I know there are a couple growler places in the Alpharetta area.

13. kp

kp Aficionado (190) Georgia Jun 5, 2002

They don't bottle, but they do can.

14. BulbMan

BulbMan Aficionado (125) Georgia Aug 15, 2010

One more vote for SW IPA. Way underrated.

15. MagicJeff

It's hard to beat on tap

16. stevegnd

stevegnd Zealot (75) Georgia Jun 27, 2012

Red Hare Gangway IPA is worth a try, but outclassed by Sweetwater IPA

17. MagicJeff

Had Gangway IPA on draft a week or so ago, it was pretty solid.