1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Question on Founders Bolt Cutter

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tdizzlegrizzle, Feb 10, 2013.

1. I had one bottle of Bolt Cutter around Christmas. (Loved it.)

Read recently on the Founders website that some Bolt Cutter was aged in bourbon barrels, some in maple syrup barrels, and some standard fermentation. I didn't know this when I drank it. I think mine was maple syrup judging from the flavors, but I don't recall seeing it specified on the bottle.

Were the bottles marked with this information?
    RoninTK3 likes this.
  2. Tom4Pres

Tom4Pres Disciple (50) Illinois Mar 17, 2012

I believe the barrels were blended together.
  3. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

It's a blend. A third of the batch was bourbon barrels, a third maple syrup bourbon barrels, and a third standard. They blended it at the end and maybe dry hopped again? Not sure but every bottle should be the same.
  4. They only released 1 version. I didnt get much bourbon character in mine. Somewhat disappointing.
  5. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

Glad to see someone else loved it.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  6. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

I thought it tasted just fine, I'll drink the other bottles in say.....4 years from now:)
  7. I have two bottles and am cracking my first one today, excited to see how it goes. Will be having it draft at a festival in April, and sitting on my other bottle for at least a year.
  8. avalonct

avalonct Aficionado (205) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

I went on a founders brewery tour and the tour guide (Gabe) said Bolt Cutter will continue to get better with age and and recommends cellaring it for 5-7 years.
    FlakyBiscuit likes this.
  9. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

I managed to secure a decent number of bottles and I'm really looking forward to see what age does to this beer. It's good now, but I think it has potential to become stellar.