1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Question on Melbourne

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by heygeebee, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Folks,

Odd that I should be asking this - simply because I suspect everybody on the forum save moi has already been.

So a question... myself and mrs heygeebee enjoy a night out in a pub/bar with good taps. Food doesn't have to be at same venue.

What we love is
    • Being able to walk from one bar to another - not too far. Good old fashioned pub crawl.
    • Bars with character, smaller is better
    • Something new - so I doubt we will go to the Taphouse as I believe it looks the same inside as in Sydney.
    What we don't like is - even if the beer is world-class....
    • Hitting bars at peak times - we like to sit - it's an age thing you know....
    • Oh-so-trendy places with completely young things where we look like we are from another age, when Dinosaurs ruled the Earth.
    • Bars where the ambient nose level is 120db, and that is when empty
    • Big screen TV bars
    So, given that we will be in Melbourne for maybe 2-3 nights out of our extended trip, what are your suggestions of areas to stay, and pubs to visit? I have looked at the reviews, but they sorta kinda don't really answer the above criteria/questions. Also what was great in 2008, as reviewed, may be a dive now.
    Ideally would be looking for advice - stay in 'x' place - and that night try 'a', 'b', 'c' venues....

One last Q - if we go in January, and say end up out with a couple of nights at Mornington Peninsula, is it crazy-mobbed being school hols with out-of-town Melbourne folks or bearable?

cheers,

2. Brunswick has recently become a hub of beery goodness. Thunder Road have an ever increasing range of exceptional ales and lagers and is open M-F 10am - 6pm for tastings and growler sales. Temple is just around the corner and now does guided tastings on Wednesdays, and there are some really great bars within stumbling distance - the best for beer being The Alehouse Project & Atticus Finch. The Alderman does great cocktails, Rumi does amazing middle eastern food, Kumo Izakaya has Japanese beers, incredible sakes and lovely food, Jimmi Jamz has cheap pizzas, some good local beers & a nice beer garden and The Resurrection also has a good beer garden but might be full of hipsters. Actually that probably holds true for most of Brunswick.

3. I like going to the Saloon bar part of Beer Deluxe in non peak times. Can eat and there's always decent taps yet alone bottled product. Non peak for me is anyday of the working week during the day and Saturday morning/lunch. I have no idea how busy it gets on a Friday or Saturday evening. Found Slow Beer is good for a glass or (three) too.

4. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

No real idea where to stay, so i can't really answer that. I've only ever stayed in St Kilda near a mate's place or in South Melbourne near the rowing sheds. Both purpose driven. The areas that i've hit have been the City, Richmond, Fitzroy/Carlton & St Kilda.

The main difference between the Darlinghurst and St Kilda Taphouses is the number of scarves, but depending on what they have on tap, not sure of any reason to go to St Kilda given your Taphouse comments.

Richmond is good to group stuff together, you can hit up the Royston which is quite good and has a nice bar character to it, Mountain Goat if its a Wednesday or Friday and wander a km or two to Slowbeer and Purvis Beer.

If you are staying in the Inner North, the Great Northern Hotel in Carlton is well worth it. Locals pub, not too noisy except if there's plenty of students in. Apparently has some links to Feral, so from what i've heard and seen on one visit there, they generally have Feral on tap.

There's a bit around Princes St Station in the City. Young and Jacksons (huge, old fashioned pub) is very close to Cookie (trendy bar) and even closer to Beer Deluxe (newer style bar with so-so taps and good bottle list). I hear Biero is reopening nearer Chinatown so that's also nearby and there is a beer place in the old Biero site, but that's up in the Financial District in the other end of town.

5. I really like the Great Northern and Baden Powell ...

6. Agree with all suggestions, especially those advocating Brunswick/inner north/east. Deja Vu is the place where biero used to be, and still does $6 pints of all their craft beers on wednesday nights. One of the best specials in the country...

7. thanx for all the info guys... we have packed our scarves and I have added in my peaked cloth cap, and will be heading down next week. staying right in the heart of town so all these look very do-able (and very non-Sydney like)....

8. MrKennedy

Trying to picture you with a neckbeard, cap and scarf...enjoy it down there!

9. Pack your shorts - it's 40+ down here today and next week is going to be hot.

10. Folks,

thanks very much to everyone for the info - just back and had a really great break..... highs and lows as follows.

Highs....
    • Rapunzel thru the Randy at Mountain Goat. Orange and Star Anasie lifted the beer to 'beer of the year' ratings...
    • Alehouse Project - what a bar (!) - even tho no caps nor scarves seen, nor Radiohead playing
    • Cookie in general, good food, tho hot, good beer. Stayed just across the road from this, so it was our local. A bit too busy on the Friday tho.
    • Single batch blueberry infused wit at White Rabbit
    • Wonderful service and friendly people at Mountain Goat and White Rabbit
    Not so Highs....
    • Slowbeer being shut
    • The Royston being shut
    • Mornington Brewery being shut on the day we were there
    • Red Hill having shut - yes I was aware of that before but is anyone else spotting the theme? o_O
    • Beer Deluxe 'atmosphere'... ah-hem
    • Deja-Vu - where have all the people gone?
    • Staff at Young and Jackson suggesting a Pilsner when mrs heygeebee asked for their recommendation on 'something nice and malty'
    All that and then the Beetroot BerlinerWeisse at the Wig and Pen on the way home, another candidate for beer of the year.....

I am sure there were others.....

cheers,

11. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

How good is that beer? Just love it.

12. lbour

lbour Aficionado (180) Texas Jul 17, 2011

Sorry I missed the posting date... but to others considering a road trip. Lived there for a few months... but back in Austin, TX. Here's my take for what it's worth. Not many places walking distance from each other. Mountain Goat (I'm sure I'm the only one in Austin with a bottle of Gypsy and The Goat) on Wednesdays and Fridays which isn't far from the Royston and Slow Beer... both walking distance from Purvis Cellars... a bottle shop vs. taps. Have to visit Rod and Joanna at Chapel St Cellars on, surprise, Chapel St. That puts you on the rail line to Local Taphouse. If you're staying downtown... and don't mind walking a bit... you can hit Mrs. Parma's (all beers from Victoria), Portland Hotel, Cookie, Beer Deluxe, Young & Jackson's and Blue Penny. Dang... now I'm craving a parm from Mrs. Parmas! Cheers!

13. Beer Deluxe has changed hands ownership-wise. They are moving it in a very strange and scary direction while trying to keep craft taps alongside. Trance DJs are taking over from what I hear.

14. MrKennedy

Did the Taphouse take it over?

15. Pity. Not the best place re. atmosphere etc, but easy for a quick beer at lunch, after work or before the football.

16. A pub group based in Albury took it over. None of the top brass seemed to care too much about craft beer and seemed to see it as more of an investment opportunity. This is the reason for having Carlton Draught at the new location that was opened in Hawthorn and having DJs, etc.

17. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

The craft beer (beer knowledge in general) has been a problem for ALH for a couple of years now. It's being worked on.