1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Quick Chicago visit. What do I do?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by AndyP612, Mar 21, 2013.

1. AndyP612

AndyP612 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2013

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, I am flying into Chicago tonight on an apartment search... We are looking mostly in the Logan Square neighborhood. So, I come to you for suggestions on where to stop for a great pint and possibly lunch in the area. We will be mobile and staying in Hoffman estates but the focus (unfortunately) is on a house instead of beer. Try to keep that in mind and any tips are very much so appreciated. Also let me know of breweries and ales I should try since I am only truly familiar with goose island. Cheers!

2. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Whatever you do don't go to ABI...err I mean Goose Island. They aren't craft anymore :)

3. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

I think Local Option and GI Clybourn are close to that area.....

4. loweball727

loweball727 Aficionado (240) Ohio Apr 26, 2010

The beer temple. They had Firestone Walker, Peruvian Morning, Revolutionary Brewing Anithero Eugene 3rd Year and Straight Jacket. I've tasted them all now. Theres a BBQ joint right next door that smelled amazing but $400 in beer before I hit the city made me drive to the hotel. Arrow On Ogden was good after we went to the United Center. House music and lounge feel confused me because they had TV's and sports all over. Food was killer and they had some locals on tap including Daisy Cutter. That was my Chicago trip in a nutshell. I heard Revolutionary Brewing's brew pub is awesome if you have time.

5. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

This thread may do better in the Great Lakes forum

6. A friend recommended Hopleaf to me when I was passing through. I had a few good beers and a duck breast reuben. Acme taco was also great and they had a few good beer offerings too.

I made the trip over to 3Floyd's while I was there, and it was completely worth it.

7. kodt

kodt Advocate (525) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

If you are in Logan Square go to Revolution Brewing. They have an awesome brewpub.

8. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Drink some Revolution, Pipeworks and Half Acre beers.

9. cetherid

cetherid Savant (395) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

Not too far from Piece. Both the beer and pizza are arguably some of the city's best. You can tell your wife/gf about this awesome pizza place you heard and not mention it being a brewery. :D

injuredreserve and Mjmoser like this.
  10. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

In Logan Square.... Hit up Revolution on Milwaukee or Small Bar for food/beer. Can't go wrong with either.

In Bucktown/Wicker Park (next area over) Piece as recommended or Map Room for just beers. All are close to where you will be. If you want to bring some Abrasive, that would be cool too ;)

11. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

The pubs are owned solely by John Hall and not ABInBev.

Nice try though.

12. AndyP612

AndyP612 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2013

Awesome thanks for the replies, y'all. The airline Gods were on our side tonight and we got in on stand! I think we are shooting for Revolution for tomorrow but undecided for Saturday while making our rounds in the area. I have been informed Binny's is a good place to put together a care package to send myself so I'm open for more suggestions on what to put in said package.

13. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Ask for the gentleman who posted right above you when you go to Binnys...;)

14. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I feel bad that your sense of humor is that nonexistent

15. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

...fuck me, i thought you were serious!

willbm3 likes this.
  16. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (280) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Local Option. Request Malort.

Grohnke and Vav like this.
  17. CPditka

CPditka Savant (250) Illinois Dec 19, 2011

Also, if you are staying later in the night, swing by The Owl, down the street from Revolutions brewpub on Milwaukee for a good Taste of Logan Square random awesomeness.

18. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

I would search the forums for the countless threads that will answer your question

And i say that in an un-snarky way, thees tons of these that pop up weekly. (maybe a little snarky)

(in anysort, a few would be, Map room, hop leaf, goose clybourn, revolution, beer temple, half acre tap room, smoque for brisket, and the art museum for entertainment)

quinnsi likes this.