1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Quick connects

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by brodkey, Mar 5, 2012.

1. brodkey

brodkey Aficionado (110) New York Feb 12, 2006

2. A buddy of mine uses those on his system. they expensive but very nice. He's had them for over 2 years now without issue.

3. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?op=search&N=13246&in_dim_search=1

we posted this a while back (and not searchable today).
    poly or stainless cam lever fittings are very handy and not too expensive. Tractor Supply has them on the shelf.
    i have built many many hose connections with cam lock fittings, they are about the fastest connection available. they mate smoothly as well and are easy to clean. you can get your prefered hose diameter, length and material and fabricate any hose you like.
    Cheers.

4. brodkey

brodkey Aficionado (110) New York Feb 12, 2006

Ugh, NOTHING is searchable anymore. Years of info--KAPUT! Thanks for the tips!

5. Utawana

Utawana Aficionado (120) New York Nov 7, 2007

6. jbell71464

jbell71464 Zealot (90) Illinois Feb 13, 2007

I highly recommend the cam locks from bargainfittings.com. He is great to work with, great quality parts and good prices. Also he is an avid homebrewer who is very helpful on homebrewing boards out there. I have the cam locks on my entire system and they work really well. I think they are easier than the quick disconnects.

7. +1 bargainfittings is a great site. They are actually a reseller of proflowdynamics parts, so they are the same parts -- at a slightly lower cost per part, and a flat rate shipping cost, so it's ultimately cheaper to buy from the reseller.

8. Naugled

Naugled Savant (490) New York Sep 25, 2007

I use the stainless camlocks now, added them about a year ago. They work great, my only problem is that I keep finding I need more of them. I want to add them to everything.

9. Is that a ball-lock style fitting? If so, I'd prefer something like a camlock myself, they're more robust after repeated use. The standard issue with QD fittings is that they do get hot, ball-llocks are easier than camlocks because they're simpler to do one-handed so you only need a glove on one hand for hot side stuff and you don't have to put down your beer.

Personally, my brewery is arranged to use "quick-enough" disconnects; worm-drive clamps that can be tightened by hand. A lot cheaper and very low-tech. Just like my brewery.

I do use camlocks for all my garden hose fittings though.

10. MookDawg

MookDawg Aficionado (115) Vermont Aug 15, 2009