1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Quick ? for the Dallas/FW folks

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by kmello69, Feb 22, 2013.

1. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

On Monday I'm driving a buddy to DFW, and I was hoping to make a beer stop after. Anywhere good near DFW to pick up beer (mostly be looking for anything you guys get that we dont have in Austin)? I need to head back via 35, but can go E or W depending on where a good place to stop might be.

Thanks for any help you might offer!

Ken

2. jgreeson

jgreeson Aficionado (125) Texas Feb 24, 2010

I would bring glass and head over to Craft and Growler. The majority of stuff Austin can't get is on draft primarily. Peticolas, Community, Four Corners, Revolver, Cedar Creek, FireWheel are all draft and all at Craft and Growler.

Might need to head north on 75 to Total Wine/Spec's after Craft and Growler. They're only about 10 minutes away, sans traffic.

Pick up Lakewood Temptress (milk stout) 4 packs if you find it. Not sure if they make it to Austin. Cans of DEBC IPA are worth the purchase.
    Most of our exclusives are over with, Ballast Point being one of them. We do get Rodenbach if that's your fancy.

3. ShameAndFailure

ShameAndFailure Savant (305) Texas Mar 26, 2009

Good summary

4. kmello69

How close to the airport is Craft and Growler? I dont mind a little drive, for sure. We don't get Lakewood at all, and only get Rye Pils from DE, so those are good options. And we definitely dont get Rodenbach, so another great suggestion.

5. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (475) Texas Aug 31, 2011

It's about 25 min from DFW airport, but it'll be a very short detour back to 35E on the way back from Craft & Growler (~5 min). They should also have Peticolas, Firewheel, and Four Corners on tap.

6. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (805) Texas Jun 14, 2012

Total Wine would be worth hitting up, they have plenty of Rodenbach and Ballast Point. Then head down the road about 1 min away is Spec's and I know they have ALL the Lakewood you could want.

7. kmello69

Got an address on that Total Wine and Specs, or something that will help me find it? Thanks!

8. TX-Badger

Total Wine is 9350 N Central Expwy and Spec's is 9500 N Central Expwy. From the airport you'll most likely come to Dallas via 183 and then 35E, you'll want to follow the signs to 75 North and go on 75 North a few miles (4-5) and take the exit for Northpark Blvd. Go straight and cross over Park Lane and just follow the frontage road, both TW and Spec's are on the right hand side, TW is in the Best Buy strip mall and Spec's is down the road past the new Dave and Buster's.

9. kmello69

I just checked the Craft & Growler Fb page - are they closed on Mondays? I'm really bummed if that's the case

10. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (475) Texas Aug 31, 2011

Yea, it looks like they're closed Monday. You could try Whole Foods Park Ln (8190 Park Lane, suite 351 Dallas, TX 75231). I believe Whole Foods Highland Park also does growlers, but I'm not sure.

11. jgreeson

Sorry, had no idea that Craft and Growler is closed on Monday.

In that case, your other growler options are The Bottle Shop on Greenville or Whole Foods Park Lane. You can see the current list of taps for WF here: http://www.beermenus.com/places/7343-whole-foods-market-park-lane

I suggest Whole Foods. This will pretty much consolidate your trip to US75. From 183 you would continue on 35 until Woodall Rogers Freeway across to US75 North. Head to Park Lane and exit to the mega mixed used Shopping Center. Whole Foods is on the furthest southeast corner of the shopping center, facing east towards Greenville Ave.

From there, continue north on the 75 access road north past Park Lane and you will, after about a block, come across the shopping center with Total Wine and Best Buy.

If for some reason you still couldn't find everything you are looking for, continue north on that same service road and after another block, you'll come across Spec's on the same side of the street.

Then just continue back on the service road to Walnut Hill and make a u-turn and head back south on 75 and head down to I-30 and take that west to I-35/Waco.

12. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Ken what time are you dropping your friend off ? There's certain times of the day you are not going to want to head into the heart of Dallas.

13. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

He commutes in Austin/Round Rock. I'm sure your traffic will feel like the Autobahn comparatively. ;)

14. kmello69

Luckily his flight is early, so I'll be dropping him off around 10 am. That gives me a couple of hours before I want to be heading home by 1 to get here by 4 when my son gets home from school.

I'm pretty familiar with 75, because we have family in McKinney we visit a few times a year. Thanks for all the ideas!

15. mattisloco

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Please remember I work all over the state.

16. mattisloco

If you decide you're not up for the drive or don't need growlers I'd recommend Halls and hitting up specs in ft worth.

Travel safe.

jsboots21 likes this.
  17. kmello69

What/where is Halls? I dont NEED to do growlers - just wanted to see if I can pick up some things we dont get here. If it saves me a bunch of driving, I'm down to find something in Arlington/Irving/FW too. Either way is fine

18. mattisloco

Hall's Grocery Store

They should have Lakewood and cans of DEBC IPA and Blonde. One of the best two stores in the entire metroplex.

19. kmello69

Ooh! And close to DFW too. Thanks!

20. mattisloco

From there I'd recommend swinging south into Ft Worth and hitting up Central Market and Specs.

Are there particular beers you're looking for? I highly highly highly recommend Lakewood Temptress.

jsboots21 and BeerSocrates12 like this.
  21. kmello69

Nothing particular, though I wouldnt mind finding some Rodenbach, and pretty much just anything we don't get in Austin (Lakewood, Deep Ellum, etc). I have 1 bottle of Temptress that I got as an extra: maybe I should try it, to see if I want more.

22. TX-Badger

If you do head over to Ft.Worth, a brand new Spec's opened at 4720 Bryant Irvin; it is HUGE and has pretty much everything DFW gets (only thing I didn't see was Ballast Point when I was there). I'm not sure if they have Rodenbach, but I know Total Wine has Rodenbach, and there is a Total Wine in Ft.Worth now, just opened not too long ago.

23. kmello69

Personally, I'd rather come back through FW than Dallas, so maybe I'll just plan on stopping at Halls, and then hitting up that Specs. I would have loved to hit Craft & Growler, but not meant to be on a Monday. Next time, I guess.

24. mattisloco

Rodenbach is a lock to find at the Dallas Total Wine. If you decide to head this way (Dallas) let me know I can probably meet up to grab a beer :)

25. lonestarbev

lonestarbev Aficionado (225) Texas Oct 18, 2006

Lone Star Beverages? 10-15 min from airport. Have all the local bottles available as well.

jsboots21 likes this.
  26. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (405) Texas Dec 15, 2010

Matt... our official "DFW Craft Beer Drinker's Welcoming Committee" chairman. You do such an Ahhhh...MAZING job! Anyone should feel honored to drink a beer with this guy. My drinking buddy... :).

27. frogfan

frogfan Savant (370) Texas Sep 4, 2009

If you're trying to save time you can place your order online at Total Wine. They'll have it waiting for you at customer service. Also can just browse to get a feel for what they have. Ft Worth Total Wine and Bryant Irvin Specs are only a mile or two apart so could easily hit them up on your way out of town and grab what you didn't find at Halls.

28. We(Halls) have damn near everything except Deep Ellum. Plenty of Rodenbach on the shelf and misc others.Check out Lonestar, Rick might have some Deep Ellum.

lonestarbev, jsboots21 and AAxsom like this.
  29. mattisloco

You're really asking for it today. I guess I'm going to have to find your pickup in a little over 4hrs.

CFH... does that stand for Cock Frisking Hombre ;) I might have just literally lol'd a little bit there. Yes I know you and Brad are going to get me back for this one.

30. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

No. 75 is the worst highway in the history of ever.

31. mattisloco

It's bad but the whole area north of DFW on 121/114/360 is the worst. The north end of 820 is an atrocity as well... but ya 75 sucks balls from 3pm to 7ish

32. jgreeson

I plead ignorance when it comes to Tarrant County.

But given your timeline, US 75 would most definitely be clear those hours.

35E vs 35W.

Perhaps Halls would be nice if only looking for packaged. But since most of our exclusives are draft only, Dallas is more fruitful.

Also not sure if Victory at Sea is down in Austin, but there is a schload in DFW right now, and it is fantastic.

33. kmello69

Yeah, we have all the Ballast Point, and its just getting dusty right now. I still have 1 VaS in my fridge.

I'm still on the fence which way to go. I'll figure it out tomorrow - I think I need to look at a map. :)

Thanks for all the help, everyone! If you ever need help in Austin, or just someone to have a beer with, let me know.

34. kwill

kwill Savant (320) Texas Feb 25, 2002

Halls is a great choice, but if you want the same selection (all of the local DFW beers + Rodenbach) and a bit less out of the way then check out Las Colinas Beverage. Lonestar is a great store too, but more out of your way.

35. rojomosquito

rojomosquito Disciple (55) Texas Dec 12, 2012

Fort Worth, Spec's 2750 S. Hulen Street
    Fort Worth‎ TX‎ 76109

All Rodenbach 750's $7.99 cash, plus all Deep Ellum beers and all Lakewood beers. Hope that helps.

36. rojomosquito

I know Austin gets Ballast Point now, Spec's Hulen has 8 cases of Victory At Sea, $9.99 cash. They stopped ordering the rest of Ballast Point, because Andrew's over ordered and the expiration dates are this month. Victory At Sea, expires November 2013.

37. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU I'd buy so much Rodenbach for $7.99 if we had that in Austin.

Ken, pick me up 2, I love you long time.

38. rojomosquito

It's about $3 less than everyone else, guess Spec's made a good deal.

39. kmello69

Which Rodenbach is best?

40. rojomosquito

Is that a question? Grand Cru