1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Quick Keg Carb Question.....

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by cbunten, Mar 21, 2012.

1. cbunten

cbunten Member

I've read a bunch of "I need my beer carbonated yesterday posts," so forgive me for this one. What's the consensus on short term carbonation in a corny keg. I racked an IPA into it this morning and would like to consume it on Saturday....Should I force carb and let it mellow out or find the right high pressure range to leave it at until shortly before consumption? Any help much appreciated, something tells me the beer is going to be consumed no matter what, but its always nice to put out the best homebrew possible! Cheers!
  2. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Member

I personally will crank the pressure to like 25psi, then set the keg on it's side and roll it back and forth with my foot for a while. I don't have a very scientific way to do it, but if you do that tonight it should settle well by Saturday.
  3. nathanjohnson

nathanjohnson Member

I've found that quick carbing can give a bit of a carbonic bite, that will mellow with some age. Chill your keg to serving temp (gas solubility increases as the temperature decreases), crank the CO2 pressure to 25-30psi, and roll the keg on its side (increasing surface area) around for a couple minutes. Each time you shake you should be able to hear the CO2 flowing into the keg. Stand it up, and vent the headspace pressure (from 25-30 psi to your serving pressure 8-12psi), and let settle until serving. When you vent your headspace, be aware that with all the shaking, you've likely quite some foam in the headspace that will escape through the PRV. Either vent with a towel, or wait until the foam settles.
  4. SFB

SFB Member

30 P.S.I. for 36 to 48 hours at serving temperature should give a good level of carbonation without the rolling or shaking of the keg.
  5. kjyost

kjyost Member

I cold crash my beers, so the beer is already cold and thus the gas is more soluble. I crank the PSIs to ~30-40 and shake it sideways for 30-60 seconds. I then dial the pressure down and keep shaking, and I can see the dial drop as I shake it, and try to dial it in to my serving pressure, and keep shaking until I hear no more gas being brought into the keg... That should get me quite close to my correct CO2 vol...
  6. Beejay

Beejay Member

I've used the crank up the CO2 and rock it method a couple times.. Once it happened to be just what the brew needed to get carbed up before being served at a wedding. The last time I did it, I actually think I over carbed it, and got some carbonic bite and a shit ton of foam... Now it's pouring and tasting pretty good.
  7. spointon

spointon Member

Normally I am a set it and forget it kind of guy (patience is a virtue) but in situations where I need it carbed fast I do the following:

1. Chill beer / crash cool to around upper 30s or 40-ish degrees.
    2. Rack beer into sanitary keg.
    3. Purge all of the O2 from the keg. This is fucking crucial. If there is any O2 left in the keg when you rock it, you are just making good beer taste like oxidized shit.
    4. Set the PSI to 30 and rock the keg back and forth for about 5 minutes.
    5. Walk away and leave it at 30 PSI overnight.
    6. After about 24-30 hours it is carbed. Turn off gas, bleed gas from keg, lower the PSI to your permanent storing/serving pressure, and turn the gas back on. Done.

Cheers!
  8. clearbrew

clearbrew Member

+1
  9. NiceFly

NiceFly Member

Turn up the PSI really high. Now lay the keg on its side and roll back and forth.
    After a few minutes close the valve coming out of your regulator, roll some more.
    Now stand the keg upright, turn your PSI knob all the way down and open the valve.
    Does the regulator read the correct PSI for your temperature and desired volume of CO2?
    If yes then put it back in the fridge and enjoy, else rinse and repeat.