Quick Lagunitas Sucks Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by checktherhyme, Feb 1, 2013.

1. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

dortenzio1991 said:
    Dont know if this has to do with anything, but we didnt get sucks til a week ago. As a retailer, things that say xmas and are christmasy typically dont sell good after christmas is over.​

So maybe you'll be good this year then since they ditched the Santa....and the label doesn't look to festive/holiday oriented to me.

2. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

I was listening to a Podcast with some of the Lagunitas brewers and they were asked about their label art in general. One thing that came up was the actual dog on the label/caps has nothing to do with the brewery - it was just some clip art that Tony on the the web. The same thing with the farmhouse on Hop Stoopid - it was some random image that they just liked. Those guys rule.

mecummins likes this.
  3. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (290) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Now this is a bit of information that changes the way I look at it. The fact they are intentionally making bad labels is actually really endearing. Cheers!

kuhndog likes this.
  4. I have been drinking Sucks bottled on 01/13/13, no complaints with that. Yum Yum!

5. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

Up until now I never even knew none of their beers did not list the style, so I guess it doesn't bother me at all. Someone in another thread mentioned being mad that sucks didn't have DIPA on the label and I had no idea why that even mattered to them. The only beer that ever surprised me was brown shugga and only because it was hoppier than I expected (which is silly given that its Lagunitas and I should have expected it).

6. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

Wait, wait. Everyone just passed this by like it's nothing. You just got some DayTime in? I thought it was still set to be a summer seasonal. I'd really like to see it year round, so I'm hoping you're not mistaken.

7. More likely they didn't want it associated with Christmas (essentially "poison" after 12/25...)

8. Is there ever a quick Lagunitas Sucks question?

9. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (810) Washington May 12, 2005

Lagunitas chicago? News to me :(

10. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

The splatter is an orgasm. After drinking it, you'll blow your wad.

11. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

Another quick question...

Did anybody get some without bottle dates? I know where they botte date and know its hard to find. I'm on case #3 right now as well and I can't seem to find the date on these guys.

12. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I can't directly answer the question about the label art, but it may have something to do with the band Primus as that's where the name for the beer came from:

"Magee gives credit to Les Claypool and Primus who put out bumper stickers that said “Primus Sucks.” He had wanted to do a beer called “Lagunitas Sucks” for 10-12 years and finally had the opportunity when the company ran up against capacity and couldn’t produce some of its usual beers this past winter."

http://beerpulse.com/2012/04/laguni...ing-founder-sounds-off-on-craft-beer-industry

Lagunitas has been affiliated with Primus for years. If you want to see a ton of Lagunitas plugs, check out Electric Apricot. It's a movie by Les Claypool about jam bands, and there's a Lagunitas beer in almost every scene. :)

13. ADfan

ADfan Aficionado (110) California Nov 28, 2010

I must have a sick mind. After having Santa on last years bottle, I just assumed it was Santa going splat.

14. Now I'm not positive on this, but I'm pretty sure that the red splat is supposed to be blood spatter. If you have ever seen the bottom of a Sucks case you'll notice that it says "Warranty void if seal is broken" and it has a very pixelated, black and white picture of a guy clubbing a seal. Just my take on it.

15. tzolandz

tzolandz Aficionado (195) Virginia Mar 17, 2012

i was thinking the exact opposite. "unknown" makes it "intriguing" to many people. I've picked up tons of wine bottles that are blends of some kind with no indication of their make up. many times i'll take a stab at it. on the flip side, those who know beer, know what it is. i see it as a win-win.

as for the splatter, i see it as things going haywire at the brewery, spilling etc....

16. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

I'm more impressed by the seal clubbing on the bottom of the master carton.

checktherhyme likes this.
  17. "The Splotch". Ever have an idea, throw it up on the wall and see if it sticks?

Sucks was an idea that stuck. Simple as that.

checktherhyme likes this.
  18. DogTown

DogTown Savant (260) California May 17, 2006

Greetings... I know this thread is done but I just got the google alert about it... So's you know, I wanted to replace star-shaped Santa for the obvious reasons and was googling around for pic ideas of 'star-ish' images and saw a cartoon starfish pic that was pretty raggedy and it instantly reminded me of the splotch that I'd been putting on the cartons. I added it to the cartons a couple years ago for no particular reason. The cartons were the only place where I used that small mess and it seemed to me that a splotch, whether it be a Dexter homage, or a bird poop thing, or a tomato thrown, or stuff that sticks to a wall, just basically 'sucked' in one way or another... so it was settled right there on my laptop. The 'don't break the seal' thing on the bottom is totally unrelated, but then, I suppose everything is related whether it is or not... either way, anything that makes people go 'huh' is fun to me and all of your speculation is fun of the coolest sort. Chairs all!

19. dianimal

dianimal Advocate (530) California Apr 18, 2012

I wonder if it supposed to be sealing wax?

Longstaff likes this.
  20. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I don't think they bottle date their bottles. I could be wrong though.

21. DogTown

DogTown Savant (260) California May 17, 2006

We do date our bottles... it should be hard to read but it is on the neck... the first three digits are the Julian date. But, they can be rubbed off and sometimes our ridiculously expensive and proportionately unreliable ink-jet date coder takes a crap and we have been so pressed to keep up that we have to run anyway. However, any Sucks in the world was bottled between December 2 and today. The DayTime mentioned hasn't been bottled in many months but that beer really seems to hold up. This isn't very scientific but Ive left bottles on the porch at home all winter and it remains tasty. Most recipes are not like that.

22. You guys are just plain awesome. That is all.

23. MCDub

MCDub Savant (320) North Carolina Dec 17, 2009

I completely agree. If I knew nothing about Lagunitas and their beer, the packaging design would be an instant turnoff.

GoGators likes this.
  24. JayORear

JayORear Advocate (540) California Feb 22, 2012

As someone who does branding for a living, I would suggest that there's nothing C+ about their packaging and copywriting. It's very much maverick, odd, humorous, but not in a cloying, hipster way. It's completely true to the brand and Tony's outsider persona. (A good analogue in the wine world would be Randall Graham of Bonny Doon Wines.) Put another way: if you're someone who wouldn't buy Lagunitas because of their packaging, you're not their intended customer.

25. MCDub

MCDub Savant (320) North Carolina Dec 17, 2009

Fortunately I don't buy my beer based on packaging. I do appreciate good design in pretty much everything but at the end of the day the actual product is what will win me over. What you describe as "maverick, odd, humorous, but not in a cloying, hipster way" I would describe as lazy, odd, and failing to be humorous. I agree that it does not come off at hipster. It kinda reminds me of some homebrewing labels I've seen. All I'm saying is if you stuck a person that knew nothing about craft in a beer store I think they would steer clear of Lagunitas.

GoGators likes this.
  26. Do you really think Lagunitas intended customers are people that like their packaging? I would think it would be anyone who loves great beers, not someone who likes reading silly nonsense in small print on the side of a beer bottle. The packaging issue has been beaten to death in past threads on BA. Packaging, whether its good or bad may sell a beer once, but the real "craft beer enthusiast" isn't buying a bad beer because of packaging or silly stuff written on the label, they buy it because its a great product and that is why I love Lagunitas, they make some great beers.

27. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Um... Everyone submitting a response to this thread (including you) is giving Lagunitas free advertising on the world's biggest forum about craft beer. I would say they are geniuses.

Droogins likes this.
  28. JayORear

That's not what I said. To put it yet another way: if you're the kind of person who turns down buying Lagunitas because you don't like their packaging, you're not who they're trying to sell to.

To be clear, I'm not really that invested in this argument. But what I can say, on a different but related note, is that high-end (read: expensive, design-by-committee) visual identity is the easiest way to disguise the the nature of a mediocre product.

29. We already know that Lagunitas makes great beers, though, so obviously you or I could give a damn how the labels look. Labels only influence your purchase decision if it's a new beer for you. I try to do my homework before I go out hunting, but I know I've picked up absolute crap beer because the label caught my interest, and I'm sure I've passed up gems because I don't really notice them due to poor labeling. You might like to think you're immune to marketing, but unless you've got a smartphone (I don't) and are looking up each and every bottle on the shelf, you're not immune at all.

30. JayORear

Or that they don't feel like they have to spell everything out for their customers.

31. For the complainers. It's beer. If it cracks you up. Try it. If it's good. Like it.
    From a graphic standpoint. They must be doing a few things right considering how large they are within this tiny little segment of a huge market and enjoy taking the piss out of people who are serious about this fizzy yellow stuff.

32. drrone

drrone Savant (490) Utah Dec 18, 2011

I think I might actually have an answer. I was talking to a Firestone Walker Rep who had a close friend in Lagunitas, he said that it is supposed to be BIRD SHIT. It was due to them being shit upon when they were investigated, naming issues with Censored ( I guess it was supposed to be called The Chronic) and subsequent issues with production of Brown Sugga. I guess they felt that they were being shit on some how. This is only what I was told, but it sounds plausible.

33. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

Except that in message #59 in this thread the guy from the brewery explained what it was about and it wasn't that.

34. Is it just me, or is there a definite East Coast bias in the complainers about Lagunitas's packaging?

I've never had a second thought about it myself (I'm in California, but am a native Midwesterner), but then again it took me a long while to figure out the Wilco Tango Foxtrot thing.

BrettHead and kemoarps like this.
  35. Oh so you are saying its an abstract expressionism piece with real deep feels which I am obviously too ignorant to comprehend. Yeah ok, I'm sure all the shitty label designers use that excuse.

36. drrone

drrone Savant (490) Utah Dec 18, 2011

Ahhh, I see. Well, it was bird poop (maybe), so it wasn't that far off.

37. JayORear

No, that's not what I said at all.

38. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Savant (265) Florida Feb 4, 2013

I had always thought the splatter on the bottle was a blood splatter, seeing as it's called Sucks, thought it might have been taking a playful jab at all the resurgent vampire popularity. Kind of like Lagunitas own version of the drink "True Blood"

39. ..and you dont feel like you have to spell it out for me. Ok well quote me later if you change your mind.