1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Quick Lagunitas Sucks Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by checktherhyme, Feb 1, 2013.

1. ?Tough to figure out? All the basics are fairly self explanatory

Lagunitas Pils
    Lagunitas IPA
    Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
    Lagunitas Imperial Stout
    Lagunitas Dogtown Pale
    Lagunitas Cappucino Stout
    Lagunitas Daytime

The others are LSS, Maximus IPA, Censored (giving their brown ale an easier name might have been better but says Rich Copper Ale on the package and bottle), WTF, Hairy Eyeball, UISD, LSW, L13, BS. Some have more info than others on the label and carrier but the core is OBVIOUS. Is SN Bigfoot obvious?

The person who thought Sucks was a sugar substitute is a dumb-ass.

They do no wrong in my book. Leave the extra Sucks on the shelf for me.

olfolxholme and boogiejon like this.
  2. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

My avatar says "Lagunitas Sucks".

3. MCDub

MCDub Savant (310) North Carolina Dec 17, 2009

That's kind of the whole point. Someone that knows nothing of Lagunitas would look at that label and move on. The labels look lazy or like they didn't care and to the inexperienced beer drinker , warranted or not, they might automatically assume the beer was made in a similar lazy/"I don't really care" fashion. I think Lagunitas would sell more beer if their packaging looked better. I don't think anyone would miss the old labels. After all we (we as in here on beer advocate that use this as a resource to learn about/discuss beer) drink Lagunitas for the product not the label. We make up a small percentage of craft beer drinkers and even smaller percentage of beer drinkers. I have friends that our just getting into craft. I remember one particular case where I went to the store with one of them asking for me to help them out. They didn't want me to choose for them but they wanted my input. They gravitated towards Great Divide. A sharp, clean, aesthetically pleasing group of bottles. They snagged a Yeti and said this looks good. They happened to be right but the label is what attracted them, not the contents. There are many many others out there just like her. If Lagunitas wants to be complacent with their packaging design more power to them. I'll still drink the stuff. I just think they are missing out on an opportunity to hook the green craft drinker.

imbrue001 likes this.
  4. Censored is a brown ale ? I thought copper ale and brown ale were 2 different beers. Shows how much I know.

5. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

copper ale isn't a style

6. Yeah, I saw that when it was noted on BeerPulse - but the post of mine you quoted is from Feb. 1, 2013 - so maybe I was wrong to say it wasn't "likely" --- but only wrong because I believed a Magee tweet.;)

7. olfolxholme

olfolxholme Savant (285) California Feb 13, 2011

Lagunitas IPA was my favorite stout until they changed the label and I found out it's an IPA. Still good, but I miss the dark roasted malt character.

surfcaster likes this.