1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Racer X found in Seattle area

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by projectstars, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Not sure if this is old news, but I found Racer X at the Tukwila Total Wine a couple days ago.

I haven't been on BA much lately so this might be everywhere now, but it sure took me by surprise so I thought I'd let everyone in the community know.

Cheers!

Lordkrystic and csano like this.
  2. I've seen it on tap around Seattle the last couple weeks, and there was an ad in Zymurgy about Racer X seeing larger distribution last month.

3. mdaschaf

mdaschaf Advocate (695) Washington Mar 28, 2010

Saw some at Bottleworks as well

4. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (550) Washington Dec 13, 2011

It was quite good =) I got my bottle at Pete's wine shop in Bellevue about a week ago.

5. I'm seeing all over the place around Seattle. I bought a bottle last week and shared with a friend and was underwhelmed. But truth be told, he and I had just finished a fresh growler of The Brother and it didn't stand up too well to it.

Aleforme likes this.
  6. Aleforme

Aleforme Savant (355) Washington Nov 26, 2008

It's stilll pretty widely available around town. I stopped by Last Drop last night and picked another one up. They had probably a couple cases at least. I know Beer Junction has been pretty well stocked as well.

Truth be told, I like Racer 5 better. Yes, it's a IPA vs. DIPA but the Racer X did not impress me that much. It's good, just not great like I was hoping. I picked one up last night at Last Drop to give it another shot. We'll see.

My previous tasting a little over a week ago was a side by side with Racer 5. Maybe on it's own this time, it will impress me more? Might be wishful thinking though.

7. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

when did this start being bottled?

8. Aleforme

Aleforme Savant (355) Washington Nov 26, 2008

I could be wrong but I think this is the first year for bottles. I don't remember them last year.

9. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Last year it was bottled but only released near the brewery (San Francisco market I believe). I know because I asked this specific question last October/November. Not sure how far it's being distributed this year, but I was glad to have a chance to grab a bottle and try it. I thought it was solid but not revelatory. Nice and resinous.

10. Interesting that people liked Racer 5 better. While I enjoy Racer 5, I thought X was absolutely fantastic and better overall.

11. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

when was the 2012 vintage bottled? i thought it was "meh" at best.