1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Racking onto a old cake

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jlordi12, Dec 20, 2012.

1. If I keg a beer from the fermeter tonight can I still use that cake for a beer when I brew tomorrow night with any side effects? In my mind it shouldn't be an issue, but has anyone done this w/ good or bad results?

*an old cake*

2. I did it once with great results and I just did it again but I scooped out a glass of yeast with a sanitized jar. i went from a Belgian blond to a dubbel the first time. the second time I couldnt just dump it in cause I dry hopped it and there was just to much trub on there so I skimmed off the first layer. it still weirds me out though because its obviously its way to much yeast, but yeast washing is just a hassle. most of the time I would rather buy a fresh pitch. the yeast does get crankin though after the second or third generation

3. I wasn't thinking when I first read the title and thought, for a second, you were talking about actual cake. I thought this was going to be the rebirth of the dry-pancake thread, and I got a little excited, in my heart and in my pants.

4. (what do you mean by "*an old cake*"?)

The topic of using a spent yeast cake has been debated to death (I assume you're talking about using the whole cake). Those who have tried it are adamant in their assertion that it works well. Those who haven't are equally adamant in their assertion that it produces something just short of crap. And ne'er the twain shall meet. (ok, I'm exaggerating just a bit, but the discussions do tend to get a little hot)

That said, you might be better off holding off on kegging the beer until immediately before you pitch the new beer on the cake. While proper sanitation will likely preclude an unhappy ending, you would improve the odds by not letting it sit for a day. It's probably not a biggie, though.

5. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

There seems to be two schools of thought on the issue. The first is "That is probably not the optimal pitch rate (over-pitching)", and the second "I've done it for years and can't tell the difference".

I've yet to do have two brew sessions that close to each other, but I'd probably "wash" the yeast and repitch the recommended amount of slurry

edit: ^ what he said

6. I'm not worried about the overpitch. Just the cake sitting overnight w/out anything on top of it.

I know I'm way overpitching , but I'm not overly concerned.

7. Is the yeast generally sitting on the top layer of trub?

8. This yeast would only be second generation.

9. I should of said I skimmed off the dry hop matter. the real layer of clean yeast sits in the middle. if you scoop it out with boiled/cooled water you will see your semi-pure layer of yeast in the jar as the trub goes to the bottom and the yeast in the middle and water/beer on the top

10. just leave a bit of beer on top if your that concerned I wouldn't think it would hurt a thing

11. Thanks everyone

12. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

After you keg put the top back on your bucket and you should be fine. Normaly I like to scoop a pint mason jar and pitch that or store for my next brew. I do also dump on the whole cake and always works well.