1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Rahr & Sons Bourbon Barrel

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by AHood, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Ford

Ford Savant (490) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Any reports on the east side of Dallas? My inlaws are coming in from Mesquite on Thursday and I'd love to have them bring some down.

2. Will this still be on the shelves in the couple of weeks? Visiting FTW for a couple days right after Xmas and wouldn't mind grabbing one.

3. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Price check? I just picked up a bottle at Barton Hills Food Mart in South Austin for $8.49.

FWIW... I hate Rahr's beer... but I love this one for some reason. I find the yeast strain they use (I think) has a strange peppery taste. Maybe that's just me. I taste it in all their other beers.

4. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (535) Texas Nov 27, 2011

$6.99 cash price @ Specs

5. Went to Specs Brodie last night and he said they were expecting it on Monday, but didn't get it, so they should get it on Thursday in their next delivery.

6. kmello69

Wow! Round Rock has something before Brodie. That HAS to be a first. :)

blatherbeard likes this.
  7. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Works for us!!

8. Lutter

Just opened this after finishing work... DAMN I forgot what a tasty beverage this is. Spec's Brodie gonna get Azzy'ed next week, lol.

cam_williams likes this.
  9. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

It is a little overly bourbonated for my taste. It's a "If I wanted a boilermaker I would have ordered a shot." kind of thing for me. It's a good beer, but I prefer their regular winter warmer, which I look forward to annually.

10. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Blend them. ;)

11. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Gabriel's got 10 cases of BBAWW today.

12. Still plenty at Lonestar Beverage in Carrollton, as of yesterday.

lonestarbev likes this.
  13. Lutter

The He'brew Jewbulation Sweet Sixteen (Ohio Edition) playkit.

14. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

If I recall from the label this is already blended with a fresh brewed version. If they bottled the full barrel version it might actually be worth the hype. Don't mean to be hating but I have yet to be impressed by this beer.

15. DanzBorin

That beer is a beast. Tasty, but a sloppy hot sipper.

I think I just made up a new phrase. lol

16. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (935) Texas Jun 14, 2012

I had a bottle on Thursday night, and I think this year's batch is better than last year's, just mho.

17. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

I like hot beer. This is not a hot beer ladies.

canadianghetto likes this.
  18. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (450) Texas Feb 3, 2009

One thing I did know, was that this beer used to be barrel aged in Maker's Mark barrels, rather than the current Jim Beam barrels. I used to really really like this beer a lot, and while I still do, what I found out this past weekend from someone at they brewery is that they blend it down more than they used to. So if you ever had the draft only version way back when (before it was in bottles), you had a more barrel influenced version. Like you, I hope that they do a 100% barrel-aged version of this at some point in the future. I can only imagine it would be amazing.

Cheers,
    Chad

19. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

I remember the draft-only releases. Wonderful stuff.

20. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (430) Texas Mar 12, 2012

On draft it's still pretty fantastic. Overpriced at Central Market at $8.99...heard someone say Spec's had it for ~$7 with cash.

21. thirdeye11

Overpriced at $8.99 for a bomber of bourbon barrel aged beer? I can't think of another barrel aged beer that's cheaper. If Spec's has it at $6.99, I am willing to bet they're not making much on it, or it's priced incorrectly.

Exiled likes this.
  22. kmello69

Yup, $6.99 cash price at Specs. That was the only reason I bought 2. I saw it again today, and thats still the price, so either they got a fantastic deal on it, or they're not making much on it.

23. thirdeye11

Yeah, they actually can't get a "deal" on anything. At least not legally. Whether you buy 1 bottle or 1,000 bottles from the distributor, the price is supposed to be the same. That's not to say there aren't other incentives they creatively come up with for the larger accounts (I have no proof of this, but I do speculate), but they likely just aren't making much on it.

lonestarbev likes this.
  24. kenihrig

kenihrig Zealot (85) Texas Apr 19, 2008

For a barrel aged beer $8.99 seems cheap to me. Consider Black Ops is over $20 a bottle and most bomber bottles are probably averaging closer to $9. I got a case last year of Rahr's beer and thought it was a heck of a deal so I purchased over a case this year. It's a fine drinking beer all year round.

25. H0rnedFr0gs

Don't get me wrong I buy the heck out of this beer. And I like to send it out as an extra or to square up costs on trades and everyone enjoys this tons. It's worth noting that even the aged part of the blend doesn't spend a crazy amount of time in the barrel (perhaps because it just doesn't need it). This is price lined at +$.50-1 over their other bombers and that's fine. It's just that their other bombers are horribly over priced for a local brewery. If it was $7 everywhere and released bi annually it would be a staple. Otherwise I drink 2-3 now and save the rest for grilling and smoking weather.

And something is fishy about the most expensive retailer getting the bulk of any product...not that it's hard to find this beer.

26. positively4thst

positively4thst Zealot (80) Texas Sep 19, 2009

I would like to hear any other comments on those who had cellar 2011 Rahr BBWW? I kept mine in a blacked out box on floor of closet at room temperature. I have not had any issues with any bottles I have opened up so far. The results are incredible!

I would like to hear any other experiences good and bad of those who opened up a 2011 recently?
    If the bottle was bad, how did you store, what conditions and what temperature?

Thanks!

27. mattisloco

I stored mine the same way really, in a dark closet. The taste improved to me, I did a side by side with '12 and I preferred '11.

28. positively4thst

positively4thst Zealot (80) Texas Sep 19, 2009

Thanks, I agree the taste was improved, with as someone else mentioned a cherry aroma.

29. lefty12

lefty12 Aficionado (170) Texas Feb 6, 2010

I randomly found an 11 on the shelf at specs about 4 months back. I stored it in a fridge at 50 deg, in the back. I ended up drinking it a few weeks back and I detected a cherrish taste.

30. H0rnedFr0gs

I've had numerous '11's recently. All stored in cold boxes the entire time (thanks Majestic and my GF for giving me the fridge space). I did prefer '11 as well...I thought the barrel was bigger but it was a little thinner overall than '12 (or maybe slick is the better word). IDK if that helps you out. I wouldn't seperate them as far as a BA rating, but there was an evolved difference between the two.

31. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (935) Texas Jun 14, 2012

I've got one bottle of '11 that I'm waiting to compare to a '12, maybe on Christmas eve or Christmas day. I'll post the results.

32. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (500) Texas Feb 21, 2011

This may be an obvious answer, but I just picked up a bottle from heb and it says "winter 2011". Is this last years, or is this the date it was put in barrels?

33. kmello69

That's last years. This years bottle says 2012 on it

[​IMG]

34. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (500) Texas Feb 21, 2011

^^ sweet! guess I got free aging for a year

35. I knew a stripper in Arlington who fit that bill !!!

blatherbeard likes this.
  36. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Just had one this past Saturday, from last year, it was the surprise of the night (most never really heard of it). Absolutely delicious beer. Why this isn't talked about more here I'll never know.

37. mattisloco

Because it's made in DFW and everyone hates DFW.

icetrauma and UHCougar12 like this.
  38. DanzBorin

For good reason... Zing! ;)

J/K... lol :D

39. ehsteve

ehsteve Aficionado (225) Texas Jan 13, 2009

Got one from Spec's RR. Two left.

40. Lutter

Is this at Specs Brodie yet? I haven't had time to go over there this week (freakin' work getting in the way of my drinkin'!)