1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Raleigh suggestions?

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by franklymyrhett, Dec 26, 2012.

1. I will be in Raleigh on 12/30. Will be checking out LoneRider, Full Steam, and Big Boss for sure. Would like a suggestion on the best are to stay. We will do the breweries earlier in the day but would like the hotel to be near a beer bar...that is unless the breweries stay open really late and will be fun then close to there. Anyone have a suggestion on area or a hotel even?

2. That's a fair amount of driving around the city if you'll be drinking.

I'd suggest staying in downtown Raleigh (suggestions below) as there are two beer places you'll definitely want to hit within a mile of each other.

I'd plan it like this:
    1. Hit Fullsteam first - early to mid afternoon. You could even get a burger and low abv beer at Bull City Burgers (excellent beer and burgers) while you're in Durham. The two places are only a mile from each other.
    2. LoneRider - it's North of Raleigh just off Glenwood Ave. You'll want to head there after Full Steam as you work your way south.
    3. Big Boss - you're real close to downtown Raleigh now.

The budget option downtown is Days Inn. The two nicer options would be the Marriott or the Sheraton. There's also a Hampton Inn that just opened but it's in a "clubbier" part of town. That may also be worth checking out. There's a free bus that circles downtown and it runs late, so it doesn't really matter where you stay.

Once you're downtown and set for the night you'll want to stop by Tasty Beverage and Busy Bee. Tasty is an awesome beer store run by awesome people. Busy Bee is a great beer bar with good food. Also run by guys very dialed into the beer community.

peetoteeto and wolfeman007 like this.
  3. jdillon334 is spot on. While you're downtown, also hit Raleigh Times, which is two blocks from Busy Bee.

wolfeman007 likes this.
  4. The R Line (free circulator bus) also runs by Seaboard Station where Tyler's is located.

5. kexp

kexp Savant (265) North Carolina May 10, 2007

If you want to budget your stay, the Clarion on Hillsborough is a block from the Flying Saucer, and a very short drive from the Busy Bee and Raleigh Times. Rates are usually about $75/night.

6. the challenge will be getting tanked enough to ignore the crime scene of a room you get there :) Its actually not horrible if you get on the side of that round hotel that isnt facing the train tracks...

7. kexp

kexp Savant (265) North Carolina May 10, 2007

Ha! The rooms do leave a bit to be desired. But the area around the hotel is quite safe.

wolfeman007 likes this.
  8. Area is safe, but the hotel and the staff are shady. I had a buddy from out of town stay there when I got married. His room was ransacked while he was at my rehearsal dinner. Someone stole two shirts and 100 bucks cash. He was lucky he didn't bring a laptop/tablet.