Ranger Creek Bourbon Barrel

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by joeyfeets, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeyfeets

joeyfeets Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2014 New York

kmello69 likes this.
  2. Getalegup

Getalegup Savant (1,150) Dec 6, 2013 Texas
    Trader

If the RC barrels were just emptied of bourbon then filled with this ale, I would image it would be very bourbon forward like Alltech's Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.
    Just my 2 cents.

3. mph005

mph005 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Excited to try this. I've tried many Ranger Creek offerings, and all have been quite forgettable (mainly because I can't remember most). Having an in-house source of barrels sounds like a no brainer.

4. sethsticles

sethsticles Crusader (413) May 6, 2014 California
    Trader

I think their whiskeys are actually very tasty. Especially the rye. I'm looking forward to trying it if I can find it.

5. cultclassic89

cultclassic89 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 Texas

I hope it tastes as good as it sounds. Mmmm Four Roses.

6. Techichi

Techichi Pooh-Bah (1,635) Sep 25, 2012 Texas
    Pooh-Bah

They came on one of the Facebook groups and mentioned they now do extensive testing for infection. This may be my first RC beer I actually buy.

aschwab, joeyfeets and philhyde like this.
  7. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

I've had pretty good luck with the Small Batch Series, so I'll definitely give this a shot.

8. kmello69

kmello69 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

Pretty sure you were there at the Freetail bottle share where a bunch of the RC small batch bottles were opened, and then just left on the table for an hour as they slowly seeped thick, cottage cheese looking gunk out of the tops. Thats all I needed to know about RCs quality control - haven't gone back there since.

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  9. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

I was. But that doesn't mean they didn't taste good ;-)

kmello69 likes this.
  10. videofrog

videofrog Maven (1,256) Nov 13, 2010 Texas
    Trader

I'm willing to give these a shot, just to see if the QC has improved. I had bad luck with the Small Batch Series bottles, but not draught.

11. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Texas

Just drink em up within the first month or two and you'll be fine. Extreme risk of it going south after a couple months though.

12. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Savant (1,085) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

BBA always warrants a try, I can't get enough!

13. GoPokes

GoPokes Zealot (508) Nov 9, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I had one last night and liked it quite a bit. Best Ranger Creek beer I've had for sure. It had a really great whiskey character without any harsh alcohol burn, very smooth and drinkable. It was slightly under-carbonated, and just a touch too sweet for my personal taste, but overall a very nice first effort for this series.

mwbbq, cultclassic89 and joeyfeets like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.