1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ranger Creek kickstarter...

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Ford, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I was just perusing kickstarter and ran across this project for Ranger Creek.

The 500 dollar reward with a party at the brewery for you and ten friends looked pretty cool, but those are already sold out... for the twice the amount you can have a twenty person party.

For 100 bucks you can attend the bottle line celebration party.
  2. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (370) Texas Nov 7, 2011

They should use that money to improve their bottling process first and foremost.
  3. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

This!

I was a big supporter of Ranger Creek until they released the small batch series and screwed the pooch. I just want them to fess up really.
    mindswoop, DonD and ThirdEyePA like this.
  4. Ford

I'm hoping the new line would improve the bottling process....?
  5. ThirdEyePA

Exactly, and that reflects not only a complete lack of professionalism, but also their product.
  6. ThirdEyePA

Haha, I completely overlooked that it was a bottling line. For some reason I was thinking cans.

But still, I would think the process leading up to the actual bottling is where the problem lies. This could be a step in the right direction though.

Anytime I see "Ranger Creek" now, I immediately remember that putrid sour smell/taste. The small batch series scarred me.
    mattisloco likes this.
  7. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I'm all for supporting RC - even with the recent problems (though I haven't had a bad SB#4 yet). I'll do so by buying their beer - provided it's not infected. I do like the MSP. I'm not donating money though. Begging for donations to fund your commercial operations to buy a bottling line is kind of pathetic IMO. If they have so much faith in their business, the investors should put up their own cash or borrow it.
    JJFoodie, BeerZack, Grendle and 3 others like this.
  8. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Completely agree.... I don't think established businesses should be allowed to ask for $$$ for a piece of equipment from their fans (at least not for anything less than stake in the company as investors). It's kickSTARTER... meaning funds to start a business, not expand because you're doing well! If you need to expand, you need to either infuse the business with capitol from actual investors or take out a loan.

I promised I wouldn't be negative this week about breweries, so I'll try not to say more. :)
    cfh64, rainerschuhsler and icetrauma like this.
  9. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Totally agree. It's like my wife's niece who is throwing a welcome home party for her husband and charging $15 a plate. True story.
  10. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

I've been watching them beg and beg on facebook and it makes me sick tbh... It's taking an act of congress to get them to fess up but I might be on to something. I'll keep you posted ;)
    mattisloco likes this.
  11. Unbelievable that they're pushing $10,000 with this racket.
  12. Cablejelly

see original RC small batch 4 thread....
  13. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Are you referring to SB #1? Because that was undrinkable to me.
  14. ThirdEyePA

#1 and my bottle of #3 was just as bad as #1.
  15. lnashsig

lnashsig Savant (330) Texas Oct 30, 2010

As others previously stated, asking for funds from your customers to create a bottling line is egregious and unprofessional. They have been around long enough to be financially stable enough to make an investment in their own business, or to secure a loan from a bank or investor. This is a red flag to me, and I only have to assume that they have tried and failed to secure a loan because they lacked an appropriate business case or financial stability. As much as I want them to succeed on their own merits, I would caution anyone that is considering dumping money into it.
    JJFoodie likes this.
  16. Clonies720

What was wrong with your bottle?
  17. nate8767

nate8767 Aficionado (185) Alabama Nov 1, 2011

That being said, if Freetail asked customers for money to expand their barrel-aging program, I'd be first in line. Sometimes it's about the product and not about the practices.
    JJFoodie and air like this.
  18. ThirdEyePA

Super foamy, smelled skunky and putrid. And the wax was pretty raunchy too.
    air likes this.
  19. lnashsig

lnashsig Savant (330) Texas Oct 30, 2010

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Though Scott is an economics guy and I'm pretty sure if he needed funding he would know how to secure it without asking us.
    nate8767 likes this.
  20. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (195) Texas Dec 22, 2011

It's obvious they screwed up a bunch of the small batch bottles from the reports on here and they refuse to take responsibility. All the important signs of a company you want to invest in.
    Azzy and air like this.
  21. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Plus he's quite critical of Kickstart.

"@beermonkey: I'm really keen on the new Lamborghini's, but am short of the funds. Kickstarter? #SoundsLegit"
    air, BeerZack and jl28r1 like this.
  22. Clonies720

That's shitty. Sorry to hear that. My #3 was absolutely top-notch stuff, and had none of the issues you did. I was even planning on getting a case of it to age. Your experience gives me cause for re-consideration though.
  23. ThirdEyePA

[​IMG]

A foamy mess.
  24. Clonies720

[​IMG]

Agreed.

Edit: Just pulled my review of the beer and noticed where I picked up on the funky/sour notes. I can't believe I never put two-and-two together.
  25. Ford

I like Kickstarter and have given money (very small amounts and always with a reward I felt was worth it) to a few products that were starting up.

I've seen several small breweries do kickstarters to expand or add a line... it doesn't bother me either way... c'est la vie...ha.

On another note, I did get to try 4.. and it wasn't a bad bottle... I just thought it was average, compared to BB1 and BB Hellfighter.
    Clonies720 likes this.
  26. RangerCreek_Mark

RangerCreek_Mark Aspirant (35) Feb 26, 2013

I appreciate the conversation about our Kickstarter. I truly believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect the opninions on here. I would, however, like to provide some more information for those that are interested.

We are funding a little over 2/3 of the cost of our bottling line ourselves. It's true that we could have used a bank or investors to fund the remaining 1/3. Our bank is prepared to loan us the money, and we have received requests from investors to get involved. However, we chose to use Kickstarter because we wanted to engage the craft beer community here in San Antonio and the rest of Texas. We like how Kickstarter lets a lot of people feel a sense of ownership and support, and we like the idea of giving back to the community with our rewards. My co-founders and I talked about whether it felt right doing a Kickstarter as an existing business, and we decided it did because we make craft beer. Others may have made a different decision, and that's ok.

For those of you that had bad experiences with any Small Batch beers, I will be addressing those in the other posts on here focused on that. We always appreciate being contacted directly with any issues with our beers, and I encourage anyone to email me at [email protected]. Please be as specific as possible with any concerns because that helps us narrow down the potential issues.

Mark McDavid
    Co-founder
    Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling
    gtermi and Clonies720 like this.
  27. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

You would only be for that if they expanded their barrel aging program to your house :p
  28. nate8767

nate8767 Aficionado (185) Alabama Nov 1, 2011

Yep :)
    jl28r1 likes this.
  29. Just because I feel I am on a roll today. Is kickstarter just the "merch" table for the new generation? What is the difference for Fans to support a brewery through Kickstarter or buy a T-Shirt or 6 Pack...Kickstarter happens faster with less overhead. Bands do it all the time, "help fund the next album and your name will be in the liner notes." It also reminds me that Lord of the Rings (movies) did a similar thing without kickstarter but if (I remember correct) join their awesome cool fan club and your name will be in the credits of the extended edition. Also, just keep in mind running a brewery is EXPENSIVE. I know breweries that it has taken them over a decade to turn a profit. Just my 2 cents...Drink Craft Beer!!
    Ford likes this.
  30. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

They should do a Reserve Society to give donors priority access to killer brews like Small Batch #4 o_O
  31. Cablejelly

So if I donate $250 do I get my name on a plaque too? :D
  32. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

In the womens restroom. :cool:
    Cablejelly likes this.
  33. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

My saucer is right above the women's restroom.:eek:
    icetrauma likes this.