1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rank these Stouts

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Finatic, Sep 29, 2012.

1. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

BCBS
    Darkness
    Dark lord

Listening to a lot of what people said. Add to list also

Parabola
    Ivan
    Night Tripper
    Stone IRS
    Zhukovs

2. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

I've only had BCBS and Dark Lord and BCBS is the better of the two and easier to obtain. Seems like a no-brainer.
    I hear 2012 DL is bad, so I'd stay away, although I think '10 and '11 are both excellent stouts.

3. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

At what point was the OP asking about KBS and Parabola?

4. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

I'd rate them:
    Darkness/BCBS about a tie (personal taste thing... I like Darkness plenty,) and then Dark Lord a distant 3rd, if we're talking about 2012 beer.

While I don't think it's worth hunting for unless you're doing a vertical, if you were to find Dark Lord and Darkness from before 2011 (assuming it's well cellared,) that skews things. And the BADLs are also another consideration (though I haven't liked any of the 2012s I've had.) The two best Dark Lords I've had were 2011 Brandy and 2011 Brandy Vanilla Bean Dark Lord. And those were both leaps and bounds better than any BCBS I've had other than Rare. For my taste, they're right there with Rare. 2011 Darkness is good. So is 2012. 2011 Dark Lord is okay. 2012 has thus far been just undrinkable and weird. 07, 08, 09, and even 10 are entirely different from the next two years... they all taste different from each other as well.

The best Darkness I've had was 08. The rest have are all pretty much a blur... but a happy blur.

Remember, BCBS is not hard to get... it's desirable, but you don't want to over-pay. A lot like Pliny in that regard. The other two are a brewery release day beer and a mostly brewery release day beer. So they cost more in trade.

I echo some other sentiments here that there are many beers available off the shelf, which I'd take over 2011/2012 Dark Lord... but that's not what you were asking.

5. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (445) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

BCBS, DL, Darkness

6. themind

themind Savant (475) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

Not to mention Dark Lord is way overrated!

7. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

BCBS
    Abyss
    Ten Tidy

Darkness

DL.... Im hoping that it gets better with age, a long, long age to it.

8. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I popped my only BA Black Note on Friday, and it was very good, a little lighter in body and more carbonation than was expecting, but wish I had more. Then I had a BCBS right behind it, absolutely no contest, deeper flavor, much bigger body, it just blew it away.

9. rzinna

rzinna Aspirant (35) Florida Feb 11, 2012

BCBS
    Darkness
    Dark Lord

You might want to try and get your hands on a CCB Hunaphu (might be tough though). Release date is March 9.

10. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

BCBS is good, Darklord is way too sweet, a syrupy molasses dominant mess. Its almost as if they bottle primed with molasses.. one of the worst Imperial Stouts I have had in a while I think. And haven't had Darkness.

11. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (450) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

100% A+

12. Dark Lord sucks.

Go after BCBS. Then, after you trade for BCBS, be prepared to trade for more BCBS. Then, trade again for the BCBS variants. Then, you can go after vintage BCBS. Then, you can cycle back around to fresh BCBS again.

So on, so forth.

13. chase2634

chase2634 Savant (315) Pennsylvania Nov 10, 2009

This is the answer.

14. 1. BCBS (Fresh has always been best to me)
    2. Darkness (09 was the best ive had)
    3. Dark Lord (08 was the best ive had)

15. Docrock

Docrock Savant (455) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

What he said!!!

Interesting that most are saying either BCBS or Darkness first, very few DL on top

16. BCBS & Darkness > Diabetes