1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rare Beer Tasting

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by atxdelivery, Jan 10, 2013.

1. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Aficionado (245) Texas Aug 28, 2010

In the spirit of trying to do this once a year. I would like to try to put together another rare beer tasting. I would like to keep this small 7 people max. If your coming form out of town I can host two people. This is separate from the Bourbon County Tasting. I may be moving and want to get this going before April. Here is list of some of the stuff I can offer, let me know who is interested. Looking for stuff along these lines of brews I might open as in not all of them. BM if interested.

Blabaer
    Terrapin Depth Charge
    Three guys off the scale
    Black Butte XX
    some sour from 98
    Alpha Kong

2. Walt

Walt Initiate (0) Texas Aug 6, 2006

You know what might work better for me? Pick some dates that aren't on Saturday and just text me so I can engineer my schedule around. Me participating in picking dates is a giant waste of time for me. Tell me when to show up, that's easier.

3. MEsquandoles

MEsquandoles Aficionado (235) Texas Apr 10, 2006

I'd like to attend and can bring some barley wines and other cold weather releases from 2006-2010.

4. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

I think you should just combine it into the Stout tasting :) Would be cool if some of the Austin guys made it to the big one at the end of this month.

5. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

God Dammit Josh, up to planning another rarewhalez tasting. How dare you. Stop making everyone jealous of all the cool beers you have and no one else gets to try. :rolleyes:

6. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (345) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Totally.

7. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Edited for content

8. atxdelivery

Yes

9. lbour

lbour Aficionado (180) Texas Jul 17, 2011

Had a great Holiday roadtrip through Chicago, Michigan, and Illinois... and picked up some Murda'd Out Stout from 3 Floyds (Baller Stout aged in Bourbon-barrels. Gotta check out the crazy Baller Stout video )... so count me in!

10. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I'd love to try the Murda'd Out!

That said its not BBA Baller. It's blended after aging, not before.

11. atxdelivery

So its the BA version of the
    Sounds Yummy as hell

12. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Isn't Murda'd a blend of Dark Lord, Darkness, Black Albert and Beer Geek Breakfast that were all barrel aged separately then blended?

13. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

Yes and it seems the hype train is starting to pick up on it. Most people are saying its almost as good at BA DL, but the price tag is too steep.

14. DanzBorin

Yes, the blending after aging is why it's not BA Baller Stout.

And I want to get my hands on this, but I don't have anyone close enough to the brewery to grab it.

Considering BA DL costs $50, this isn't out of line as it actually takes more work to make.

ISO!

15. atxdelivery

Could try next to the reg baller stout as well.

16. DanzBorin

I drank mine (and each of the components) for my Birthday in November or I'd offer all of that up. :(

17. lbour

lbour Aficionado (180) Texas Jul 17, 2011

DanzBorin... appreciate the correction! Lazy typing on my side. It's been said enough times here... but each is aged separately (14 months I believe) and then blended together. Josh, it doesn't fit the BCBS event you're trying to pull together... but I'll hold one back for your next rare tasting.

18. DanzBorin

I tried to find someone to grab me a bottle, but the only person I know even close is in southern IN and it was too far for them to get to the brewery.

I liked the baller and all of the beer they used, so I'm sure barrels didn't hurt! ;)