1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rare beers at Bottles and Cans on Lincoln

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by beernightscout, Jan 24, 2013.

1. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

bottles & cans, I clap my hands, just clap my hands! you're truly where it's at....

2. Indybier

Indybier Aficionado (155) Illinois Nov 15, 2011

Thanks, Joe. AND, above all - Congrats to you and Carly on everything - beer store related and not!

OP - how does one become a *recognized/faithful/taken-care-of* patron? Do you slyly hand over some cash and give a wink & your number while requesting to be *notified* when the rare stuff comes in? Or, do you just expect the owner(s) to tally up your purchases over a set time and expect to be a *preferred/notified* customer? I've personally never had the nerve to ask to be some sort of preferred customer and put on a special list. My loss, I guess. And, to be honest, the stores that give that annoyed look and huff when approached with a question of availability, can all F-Off if I'm disrupting your system and taking away from your *special* people. THOSE are the stores I won't be frequenting any more - YES, I'm looking at you Lincoln Park/Sedgewick Binny's!!

Joe - I'll probably see you or Carly *again* this weekend, eyeball your shelves (with a sipper of wine you're offering that day), and probably walk out with something you've recommended. BTW - That stout from local brewer Spiteful was JUST as you said - really, really good. Thnx.

jebsinger likes this.
  3. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

wellthatescalatedquickly.jpg

4. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

I just wish they didn't kill the #11 :(

gill897 and jebsinger like this.
  5. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I can see your point OP, but I can also respect their policy. The thing that I would need clarification on is if they did choose to honor their loyal customers like you want, what happens when they only get 12 rare bottles but they have 100 loyal customers, many of whom spend more money than you?

6. I hear Damen and Division liquors and capones can get you the good stuff. I recommend spending your big budget there.

7. Capone's mostly :cool:

8. burica2020

Damen and division loves taking big spenders dollars. They'll save all their high rollers all the best stuff. Is basically the liquor store version of a champaign room or a high rollers club. And remember no matter what a BA member says, there is no CBS in the champaign room for under 80 dollars.

9. gill897

gill897 Aficionado (160) Illinois Apr 18, 2008

so the entire point of not being able to get there in the middle of the day is mute right because joe mentioned that they don't post new releases until 5 pm?

even if this OP guy was trolling, I still have to say how happy I am that B+C exists.

I've been going there once every few weeks and they always have a nice selection (I've been able to pickup Enjoy By, Hopslam and Bolt Cutter).

That and they're just nice, good people. They won't get a case of Coffee BCBS and charge $30 and make you purchase 2 other beers if you want it, like other crappy places on Kedzie.

10. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I've got to thank the OP for this thread I hadn't heard of Bottles and Cans before, but thanks to him and the very excellent reply from Joe, the store's owner, I've just "liked" them on FB. I can't wait to visit the place this weekend. I appreciate a store that is not only upfront with it's practices, but incredibly fair as well.

jebsinger likes this.
  11. nharres

nharres Savant (305) Illinois Feb 8, 2012

OP, are you secretly working for Bottles and Cans? It seems as though all you have done is promote positive response and increased exposure for the shop. Well done you sly son of a gun ;)

burica2020 likes this.
  12. thats how karma works. Joe and Carly are great people who love what they do and are more than happy to share what they know with you and recommend stuff for you to try

by the way Joe, that Ipswich oatmeal is up there with the top oatmeal stouts ive ever had, thanks for the prod in the right direction.

13. Thanks again for all of your support everyone. Carly and I feel so lucky that we have been able to put B & C together. I'm sure we will stumble every once in a while along the way, but we are truly dedicated to trying to make a fun, pleasant shopping experience for everyone... providing as wide of a selection as we can while being as fair as we can to the most amount of people. If we ever inadvertantly do wrong by you please let us know so we can correct the situation! I would like to mention, I was just on Beermenus eliminating any items that we've sold out of in the last couple of days, and I accidently eliminated Gumballhead, which we have in stock so I immediately put it back up... just don't want anyone to think our 5pm posting rule was a lie, just a misclick on the computer:).... Jeb, I wouldn't dare lead you wrong!... nharres, I can assure you it's just my wife and I:)... Thanks everyone!

14. Capones rocks, and yes, they do take care of their regulars. Though I'm not one, Ray says. And he's right!

15. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

OP is soooooo lucky I'm on vacation.

16. burica2020

I spend tons of money in your store, why have I never been taken care of? I know you fairly put stuff out on shelves with a strict limit and post it to twitter so there must be hidden beer for some sort of special VIP's. Speaking of VIP's, the same thing happens when I go down the street to VIPS's, no matter how much money I spend I never get taken care of.

Vav, jdhende and MarkIntihar like this.
  17. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

You like Armenetti's AND Capones?? You seriously need to go at a good bottle shop.

danielnovak3 and moefriedman like this.
  18. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (290) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

The OP defended Armanetti's and ragged on B + C. Lolwut.

Edit: I stop in B + C before my trips to Half Acre. Joe has always been really nice. Plus, it's the only place I know of where you can build a 4-pack with stuff like Sucks, CW BBS, Cuvée des Jacobins, and Ska Molé at VERY REASONABLE prices.

Cheers to B + C!

Monsone likes this.
  19. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

I'd heard of Capone's, but never sought the place out. Noticed it today while driving south on Elston on my way to WLVL, pulled in, windowshopped, shook my head at things like the $16 bombers of Big John and left.

Now I wish I'd made a few minutes for Bottles & Cans after my Half Acre stop.

Monsone likes this.
  20. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

I would be careful. Sarcasm is very tough to detect through the internets.

21. EBJ. End thread/

22. Well, thank God for small mercies. Though I can't imagine what you could add, you're not remotely in the same situation as the store in question.