1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rare Bourbon County Stout for $100...worth it?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PsilohsaiBiN, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

well said :)

2. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

You know, if you don't want it... goandpickitupformebro?

Azzy likes this.
  3. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

If you can afford it, buy it.

4. I enable you.

mikecharley and IamMe90 like this.
  5. If you dont want it I want it. Send me his name. lol.

I really want to drink a Rare. Im working up to having the ammo to score one. Not sure what it will take at this point. I dont see a whole lot of Rare's being traded lately.

6. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I offer $101.

7. hopoilcrazy

hopoilcrazy Savant (290) Tennessee Aug 24, 2004

WHAT!!! Where??? No way! It is Kentucky tho

8. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

If I had the opportunity, I would buy, just because I know how much people are willing to trade for it. But there is no way in hell I would pay that much for a beer just to drink it. Seriously, that's close to $5 per ounce. No matter how good it might taste, I would hate myself as it was going down.

9. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

The man who has had all (most) of the beers suggests no. Listen to him.

RobertColianni likes this.
  10. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

If you've really got the money to blow, sure I guess. Seems silly though imo.

11. evilc

People in this thread who drink craft beer acting cost conscious and thrifty.....lol

Centennial, blkcld, Atlas1977 and 7 others like this.
  12. evilc

Why experience something for yourself when you can let others tell you.....wait that's dumb.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  13. YogiBeer

I'm the guy who bought two Murda'd outs, too... :(

(It IS really good)

14. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

I too despise the educational system.

15. evilc

Education generally revolves around facts, not beer opinions. Great analogy.

16. CityofBals

Why is there gravity?

17. YogiBeer

A guy who has had literally what, 3k beers? Says "better places to spend your money." good idea to ignore. Also, he's laughing at this exchange. Ugh.

18. CityofBals

If someone with more beers consumed than him felt differently, would that make his opinion any more valid?

19. YogiBeer

I was agreeing with your point. Many here would pay an alstrom for an opinion on a much less expensive beer... let alone a $100 dollar one.

CityofBals likes this.
  20. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Texas Sep 15, 2012

I wouldn't do it because I hate scalpers. As a BA I would never try to make money off of beer. Face value would be the most I would charge if I sold a beer.

montrealbcr89 likes this.
  21. I had a foothills barrel aged people's porter last night that was good. Not as good as rare but I paid 6.15 for it and was aged in Papy barrels as well. Rare was better but not $94 better.

22. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

I would ask him if any other form of payment would suffice... then I'd wink and lick my lips.

I can't guarantee a favorable outcome, but it's worth a shot.

Horbar, Gmr75, oregone and 7 others like this.
  23. I would say it isn't a horrible deal if you have the money to burn.

That being said, you can get 4 bottles of different FiftyFifty Eclipse varieties for the same price. Or 16 bottles of regular BCBS. Or a case of Expedition and a case of Bigfoot...

So in other words, if you don't have the money to burn you can do better.

24. Take that money and buy $100 of regular BCBS instead.

Brew33 likes this.
  25. I spent $50 on it when it first came out, and at the time it was the most I'd ever spent on a single beer - it actually might still be. While it was damn good, I didn't feel like it was quite worth the price tag at the time, as it was very similar to aged BCS (one of my all-time favorites), just a little bit better. That said, I've done some crazy things to track down rare beers since then, which probably cost me close to $100 in beer, shipping, etc. If you've got the money, I certainly understand the desire to try it once. I just don't think I'd do it again after having had it.

26. blkcld

blkcld Aficionado (245) New Jersey May 19, 2010

Recently acquired 2 bottles for $80/each. Worth it? Depends on how you justify your purchases. Before ebay took beer down from the site, these bottles were routinely going for $175 every time, with tons of bids on each one. Many, Many beers go for $40ish a piece with big distribution. You will probably never see another bottle of the Rare out there for that $. There might be some, but odd are YOU will never see one.

27. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

28. Rare is starting to fall off. It has passed it's prime. I suggest drinking them soon. DRINK DRINK DRINK

29. It's $100. It's not as if you're financing the thing. You're not going to go without food for a month. Few would have issue with you taking that $100 to a poker table, but there would be the chance you walk away empty handed. However, for $100, you are guaranteed one of the better beers you will ever drink. Is it worth $100? That's for you to find out.

Centennial, pjeagles, DSlim71 and 2 others like this.
  30. Oh, you could also just go to Kentucky.

davey101 likes this.
  31. Me too.

davey101 likes this.
  32. Jonada

Jonada Advocate (510) New Jersey May 23, 2012

I say if you want it, and you can afford it, then go for it. You're dealing with a high end product in limited supply (and that supply is only going to continue getting smaller). I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned with whether you're getting a good deal on it or whether the increase in quality of the product is proportionate to the increase in price.

There have been a lot of replies in this thread saying you could buy X quantities of Beer A for the same price, but that's not really an accurate comparison. If Beer A is a year round or seasonal release, you will almost certainly have another chance to purchase Beer A, whereas you may not have another chance to obtain a Rare.

33. Nope, I would buy a bottle of The Heart of Darkness

travMI13 likes this.
  34. Flyway

Flyway Zealot (95) Wisconsin Oct 22, 2012

[quote="deskim, post: 839054, member: 479632. Save up for a beer trip...very few beers are worth $100[/quote]
    ...no beer is worth $100. Please dont do it. But then again, i felt like i was cheating on my wife when i spent just over $40 on Sucks, Central Waters BBS, Hop Rod Rye and 2013 Bigfoot tonight!

35. Never in my life would I pay that much for two beers. Btw why don't you just ask him for a half bottle for 50? I am sure he would want to drink it too and it would be like a free pour for him since he bought the bottle for 50 to begin with. Win win.

36. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

You know what I would do if I had 100 dollars? I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities...

jbdpsu82, KYzac, yamar68 and 4 others like this.
  37. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I would pay $100 for a bottle, only because it would be the only chance I would have at trying it.

38. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

and get sent to pound me in the ass prison

Beerandraiderfan, Duff27 and davey101 like this.

39. Not a ticker and would consider it. I already have four or five left but still might consider it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.