1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rare Bourbon County Stout for $100...worth it?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PsilohsaiBiN, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. they'll probably brew something similar so I say no​
  2. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Think of it this way. If a bar, near any of these guys telling you not to do it, was selling 3oz. pours of Rare tonight, for $15. They wouldn't be here to tell you not to do it! Believe it!
  3. As someone who jumped at the chance to buy a BT for $45 last year, I wouldn't even consider this.
  4. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (260) California Feb 14, 2011

I'd rather have 50 bottles of west coast IPA and a 75 minute IPA. But that's just me
  5. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (260) California Feb 14, 2011

Plus if my math is correct I could add a 12 pack of Pacifico
    ChanChan likes this.
  6. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

I don't know of any beers worth going on a trip for.... i'd rather be on a beach somewhere with fruity umbrella drinks.
  7. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I have a bottle of Utopias that cost $200. If you want to drink it, pay what you think its worth. I'd do it.. hell I paid $30 for Bruery beers that I didn't even like, at least your pretty much guaranteed to like it if you like the style
    EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  8. omgshesaboy

omgshesaboy Zealot (90) Ohio Jul 19, 2010

I wouldn't have hesitated to make that purchase, but if you have to ask a forum weather you should or shouldn't... then you probably shouldn't.
  9. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

DO IT! DO IT!~~
    Azzy likes this.
  10. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Or buy and sell to me
  11. RyanBeer13

RyanBeer13 Initiate (0) Virginia Jan 24, 2011

100 bucks is a great deal imo
  12. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

You know what? That's not a bad idea. Given the choice between the two, I would actually do the same. That is, hands down, the best beverage I have ever tasted.
    vivasbeer likes this.
  13. Would definitely do it. Look at the price of Utopias... And rare is soooooo much better. 100 is cheap. I'll put out a standing offer to buy as many as possible at 100 a bottle!!!
  14. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I'd pay it no questions asked. If $100 is a huge difference maker in your life don't do it then, but I've spent $30 on Eclipse stuff too. Think of all the enjoyment looking at that bottle of Rare will give you.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I would buy it, then find other people that want to try it in my tasting group and have them buy in.
  16. jcreegan

jcreegan Aficionado (230) Florida Aug 12, 2010

Depends on your wealth...If you are poor and on government assistance I beg you not to. If you are rich go for it.
  17. I'd pay that in a heart beat! It is probably the best beer ... EVER!
  18. SkiBum22

SkiBum22 Savant (435) New York Oct 18, 2009

$100 to drink one of the best beers ever made and is no longer available sounds fine to me if you have the money. Just think, people who drink some of the best wines in the world pay thousands of dollars for a bottle. As beer enthusiasts we're lucky that we get to drink some of the best beers for a fraction of the cost as our wine counterparts. Beer is a hobby for some people and sometimes hobby's cost you a little extra every once in a while.
    Beerandraiderfan, tjfilippo and Hanzo like this.
  19. This!
  20. I paid $75 for a bottle of it. It was good, but I didn't think it was worth the money. I've had it since then and it's still really damn good although I wouldn't pay close to $100 for a bottle. Then again, if you have the money and you've never had it; why the hell not?
  21. And at $100 your paying the normal retail price for it, Absolutely, hands down, THE BEST beverage I have tasted as well!! There is a reason it is in the Beer Gods Top 5 on the other site...I have popped 2, and have 2 more for a special occasion
  22. AleDaddy

AleDaddy Zealot (80) New Jersey Aug 7, 2012

It is totally worth it. I have spent $50 on drain pours. If not for the drink certainly for the trade bait. You could catch some big fish with that.
  23. Not worth it imho
  24. bishopdc0

bishopdc0 Savant (410) Maine Jan 23, 2010

Omer4176 and DanK4 like this.
  25. As a guy who's ticked a lot of beers and paid over $100 for a bottle of wine but has never had Rare either, I wouldn't do it. At one point I might have and I'm sure the beer is terrific, but it's not that far removed from a number of much less expensive beers, probably to the point where I'm sure I couldn't tell it from aged BCBS blind. The rationale to buy it versus something else is so you can say you've had it and for me I'd pass.
    ChanChan likes this.
  26. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Pass- but convince the bastard to host a tasting and to crack the sonofabitch. Then you get to keep your c-note and try the rare. Or scoop up some awesome seasonal's and use them as tasting offerings to coax him into doing it. Otherwise you're just chasing the dragon man.
  27. I can catch the dragon, I swear.
  28. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

It's too easy to drop that much at Novare- I've done it plenty o' times. I think I spend more there in a month then I do on my ridiculous rent. On that note, this is hands down the best bar in town. Awesome beers, fantastic cellar list, great eats, and the staff is damn good at what they do.
  29. It's all relative to your income and financial situation. If you gotta ask, then probably not.
  30. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Its nice to know you haven't died yet! ;)
    Overlord likes this.
  31. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

At least the *real world prices are coming down from the uber inflated ebay prices.

*real world being a fairly loose term, when applied to someone's cellar.
  32. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (265) California Nov 29, 2012

Only $100...the last one I saw for sale in my area, the guy wanted $250 :eek:
  33. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (600) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

I see what you did there.
  34. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Definitely beer trip!!!
  35. I'd look at it like this. I could get two buddies together and we could go out to a decent but not anything super fancy dinner, drink a decent bottle of wine and spend that hundred bucks easily. Or we can stay in, and split potentially one of the most epic bottles of beer ever brewed. I'd say get a friend or two to ease the cost (since I assume you'd want to share it anyway) and GO FOR IT.

But that's from the perspective of someone who's fortunate enough to be in a financial position where a $100 night is a luxury, but not any kind of backbreaker. Many others are not as fortunate, so let me be the most recent one to reiterate that it all depends on your financial state.
  36. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

or lack thereof
  37. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

On a side note, OP if you don't want to pay this, can you goandpickitupformebro and I just paypal you the money and email you a shipping label?
  38. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

If you really want it, do it. The experience of having great beer is priceless. The people that say no probably spend their money on dumber shit (a few dollars at a time) and don't even realize it.
  39. I wouldn't do it for a number of reasons. Just looking at the money alone it's a no-go for me. With that same $100 I could buy two cases of Flower Power.

48 flower powers or 1 BCBS Rare?

No question.

But, it's your money and your life, so do as you'd like.
  40. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

I suppose the real question is...are you really going to use this thread and take the advice of others into account, or did you just want everyone to know that you are about to land a Rare?
    dsal89 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.