1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rare Bourbon County Stout for $100...worth it?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PsilohsaiBiN, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Ernest_Hooper and mikeburd1128 like this.
  2. Yes.
  3. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

I would have bought Utopias this year had I actually seen a bottle in a store and the average price on that was easily 175. Alcohol is not a cheap hobby no matter what your drink is, go onto any online wine store and I'm quite sure you can find multiple bottles of vintage for thousands of dollars. 100% mark up is not too shabby.
  4. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Almost bought one as well until I saw it in a store that was charging $300 for it. And it was this years as well before anyone asks. I haven't been back to this store and I doubt I ever will on general principle.
  5. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

That's what I said when I bought a 10th Utopias for $175...
  6. We can all sit here and act all high and mighty saying it aint cheap, but for every bottle of beer that's $75+, there's thousands of reasonably priced bottles. If you have the money, by all means, go right ahead, but I doubt there's many people out there that are financially stable enough to drop that kind of money on one bottle. And even if you are, IMHO, there's far better things you can be spending that money on. But hey, to each their own.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Say what?

Please never come beer shopping with me :p
  8. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I guess I am a millionaire since I am about to blow at least $600 at Alesmith. Wait - I'm not. :(
    dsal89 likes this.
  9. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (225) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

I'd do it.
  10. i chortled when i heard the story of a guy using utopias as a partial rent payment. a surprising number of people live hand to mouth and yet drink baller wales y0. having no safety net (6-12 months savings) and a $2k cellar might mean you're an idiot.
    Vav, xnicknj, ao125 and 2 others like this.
  11. After trying it, I would say no. Trade for or purchase normal BCBS and you won't be missing much.
  12. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

I laughed at the $50 price tag when I saw it on the shelf so you can only imagine my reaction to this question.
    TurdFurgison likes this.
  13. miketd

miketd Savant (485) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

This...
  14. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

If u think about it, SA Utopias is $199 and totally not worth it IMHO. So Rare for $100 seems reasonable to me.
  15. So nobody took me up on my standing offer of buying as many GI Rares for $100 a bottle? Come on...nobody?? I'll pay $110!!!!!
  16. I would do it to the say the least...think about it you would have to drive around finding bottles for a trade then be able to ship it, we all know how much shipping can run these days I think a $100 is well worth the effort and not dealing with a headache
    KaslD likes this.
  17. cleeze

cleeze Savant (290) Maine Nov 24, 2008

pound it...
  18. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Or you just enjoy good beer more than you enjoy having money.

Exhibit A: http://beeradvocate.com/community/members/yamar68.588068/
  19. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Id do it in a heartbeat. Id much rather just split the cost with someone and share it with them
  20. VaTechHopHead

VaTechHopHead Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2008

I would give some elaborate explanation to answer your question, but long story short: Nope.
  21. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Do whatcha want. But I'd buy some bud wit that cash.

22. I've been drinking Chivas Regal in a four dollar room.

-Tom Waits
    Vav, ForkAndSpoonOp and lurchingbeast like this.
  23. You can't compare the utopias to rare because the utopias are like a fine bottle of bourbon or scotch, you can enjoy them over a few months. you can't do that with rare. it would lose flavor over time.
  24. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (670) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

It's good, but not $100 good unless you have money to burn. Buy a case of Bourbon County instead and cellar some.
  25. Thanks for all the input. Not that this should stop the thread by any means, or that it's a big deal. But...I'M GONNA DO IT!!!

P.S. Sorry my posts are lame during the week(I'm not drunk).
  26. No safety net? Where can I find that place? I'm surrounded by able bodied, unemployed people with free health care, free/subsidized housing, free utilities, spinning rims, free education, free fishing licenses, free legal counsel, free money, etc. . .

A $2k cellar just means you're gonna have a $20k cellar down the road doesn't it? Cellar, ???, Profit.
    At least that's what my 500 cases of Donruss '88 baseball cards is bound to turn into any day now.

Just make your cellar "too big to fail" and you've got a safety net in this day and age.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.