1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rarest of the Rare Cantillon

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by eandersen, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eandersen

eandersen Aficionado (125) New York Jan 13, 2012

So obviously I know of the Loeriks and the DQs of the world, but every once in a while I see trade threads on here that put other Cantillons that I've never heard of in this same stratosphere.
    Anyone have a list of these crazy rare small batch Cantillons? Not that I could ever acquire them, just out of a curiosity for what I can never have ;)
    gjoker321 likes this.
  2. I'd be curious to know the story behind the JF Vonck (or is it JH?) that joel66 is often looking for.
  3. eandersen

4. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 5, 2012

5. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/388/?sort=revsD&view=beers&show=all

pretty much anything with less than 150 reviews on this list is going to be a very difficult bottle to locate, much less trade for, anything with less than 30 reviews, unless you really like beer you will never see in person.

just noticed the ghst wjål's at the bottom of the list with 0 ticks, good luck trying those. they're super .rar ;)

for a much more complete list of cantillon beer through the years, refer to this.
  6. eandersen

Thats awesome thanks CityofBals!
    Some of the stories on these are pretty damn cool. What a brewery!
  7. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Zwanze.

Of course, if you manage to acquire it in a trade, something really weird has happened.
  8. DJButters

DJButters Savant (310) California Jun 23, 2010

Supdog. It's traded in the past, check the forums
    franklinn, nvlps, Westuh and 8 others like this.
  9. eandersen

Only thread that I could find was your closed trade thread lol. What exactly is the Supdog? You have me intrigued.
    beerhan likes this.
  10. Just go look at some of the bottles grumpyoldtroll posts. None of us know what the fuck they are, but all of us think they're cool as shit
    NYCBUCKEYE, jbuddle, nrs207 and 12 others like this.
  11. joel66

joel66 Savant (445) New York Sep 1, 2012

JF Vonck has to be the most difficult Cantillon to land.. Cantillon Mozart is in the same category for sure.

As for the story, JF Vonck was a lawyer and leader of a revolution that led to the founding of the united states of Belgium in 1790. I assume Cantillon made this beer as a commemorative of 200 years considering it was made in 1990. I would ask Dunt as it sounded like he had a better view on the history of this bottle.

I will find Vonck... just a matter of time.

Most of these are not listed on either BA or RB as they are ghosts. Most are from the 1980s/90s and very difficult to come by. These bottlles dwarf DQ and Loerik in rarity
    Penguin3200, JoEBoBpr and JulianB like this.
  12. [​IMG]

:)
  13. joel66

yeah they are awesome bottles. I love the cartoon labels especially.

akkurat specials.(goldackerl, reed muscat, reed pinot) loerik, and one pint pub exclusives(grosielle, grosielle macquereau, tyrni lambic and pikku) for anybody who doesnt know what they are looking at( not in any specific order)
    BorisKarloff and riemster like this.
  14. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I gotta ask...are there ANY Loons that are mediocre or bad? They all seem to be so highly rated and sought after.
  15. joel66

had some bottles from the 1980's that were pretty bad... other than that not inmy experience
  16. Yeah, the whale blood really wears it out. :)
    mjn78, Penguin3200, Rau71 and 16 others like this.
  17. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Here is GrumpOldTroll's tag line...Your Whales are his Session Beers.
    Rau71 likes this.
  18. jhillwastaken

jhillwastaken Savant (290) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

I gotta ask, where are these beers in terms of their life. It's an honest question. Are these beers still improving? Or am I committing a white whale faux pas by suggesting these beers are for anything other than being able to say "Yeah, I own that."
    themind likes this.
  19. Luk13

Luk13 Savant (300) Quebec (Canada) May 25, 2009

I found Lambic d'Haute Densité (Portland Festival) to be the only bad (not mediocre) one I've tried.
    mathieuc likes this.
  20. No idea if they're improving. You'd have to ask someone like ForgetFu or one of the Akkurat locals who has had them multiple times a year or more apart. As far as I'm concerned, they're for drinking, and that's a LOT more fun than owning them is. I am not a beer collector.
  21. I can honestly say that the Reed Gueuzes were easily some of the greatest lambics I've ever had. Can't say the same for Goldackerl.

Seriously though, not to denigrate an awesome pic and an awesome tasting, but all of those beers were available for anyone if they took a small trip through the Scandinavian countries a couple of years ago. Sounds like there will be a ghost whale tasting happening soon that will put that to shame.
    CityofBals likes this.
  22. cnbrown313 and JulianB like this.
  23. I believe that there was another somewhat different batch of Cantillon Feestbier HB different from the one that is rated here. I am not to sure.

Also 1900s Cantillon bottles?

Has anyone had Cantillon beers from like 1900 – 1960?
  24. joel66

These bottles are for one tasting only.. although their are some incredible bottles being opened, we have had the majority of the bottles being opened there during the last couple tastings. The majority of these bottles are not for sale on site any longer, and you can pretty much say the same thing for any bottle over the course of history. I dont see how the word shame can even be thought ofqhen looking at this picture...
    CityofBals likes this.
  25. Even Zwanze 2010 and 2012 were pretty poor. I didn't care for the 2012 on Zwanze day but finished my glass. At The Festival I got a bottle sample and dumped it out after the first sip. I heard people were dumping Densite so I didn't even bother.
    Trevdawg likes this.
  26. joel66

Densite isnt in the same league and i suspect zwanze 2013 will be the same. Get a bottle of pinot di aunis and i think you will feel much diff about the zwanze. Not to say every beer cantillon makes is amazing, but the majority are..
  27. I had that a few years ago. I liked it but it's not the best of their grape lambics. Its re-incarnation as Zwanze 2011 wasn't as impressive either.
  28. http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/cantillon/1069/

Anything European you're best of looking on RB, stronger European membership than on BA, hence nearly always more beers listed.
  29. Zwanze 2013.
    Hanzo, Trevdawg, ADTaber and 5 others like this.
  30. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (305) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

The "Brussels variety" of brett is found in vineyards all over the world (and by extension, on fruit and in the air all over the world). It is not unique to the Senne valley, that's just where it was first described.
  31. Totally, DuPage25... but then factor in the other yeast strains that are active in that region. It's a culmination of all of those yeast varietals working on the wort that really makes those beers what they are. Brett is certainly a part, but not all of it. Would be really interesting to see some breweries pop up in those areas that have the same Brett varietal as the Brussels area.. any idea which regions they're found? Be interested to know..
    the_trystero likes this.
  32. well zwanze day has officially spoiled me, no turning back now must acquire more loons :eek:
  33. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

If anything my experience was the exact opposite. The Reed Guezes were nothing special and the Goldackerl has turned into something simply incredible. Probably the best loon I've had outside of Cuvée De Florian.
    CityofBals and GrumpyOldTroll like this.
  34. DrewLikesBeer

DrewLikesBeer Savant (325) Florida Jul 16, 2013

I actually think he's referring to the price point...IE why can't we get an American wild ale (I know better than to say American Lambic around here) at around that $5 price point instead of all of them hitting double digits...both my wallet and I agree.
    nrs207 likes this.
  35. I think DQ is dated '08. The beer sort of just went unnoticed until people found out about it and bought a whole bunch through the pub owner in '10 and circulated them through trades and ebay. I think it was that old Florida crew that found the beer and bought the most. Rare cantillon was already pretty popular then because of blabaer.
    CityofBals likes this.
  36. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

A better question to ask is even if there are completely unique yeast/microbes in the Senne Valley, do those unique microbes actually have a detectable affect during fermentation versus the unique yeast/microbes of say, Maine. I haven't seen any scientific data or even pseudo-scientific data that suggests that other environments besides the Senne Valley can't produce very similar base lambic.

More food for thought; perhaps the microbes and yeast have little to do with how the lambic turns out, the skill of the blender has the biggest impact on the final product.
    fiedler84, JulianB and GrumpyOldTroll like this.
  37. DrewLikesBeer

DrewLikesBeer Savant (325) Florida Jul 16, 2013

that's sorta my thought as well. i've only taken a serious interest in the wild/sour/lambic world in the last 12 months or so...so i'm still trying to figure things out but i feel that's right. i think it's a bit much to completely discount local bugs, but it seems the blender would have a larger overall impact assuming the quality of ingredients is comparable.

38. To everyone his, had a Zwanze 2012 yesterday, drinking wonderfully. It was a bit young at Zwanze day 2012. Have ever cooked or handled raw rhubarb, people who are more familiar with it seem to pick the rhubarb more & enjoy it more.

I liked 2010, 1 year old it was bit Iris like but a year ago it had really changed. Very clean citrus with light mint in a good way.

Haven’t had Lambic d'Haute Densité but I suspect that for a lambic this high density it is probably still very young at this point. Very young lambic is actually quite sweet which might be a bit too much for most.
    brikelly likes this.
  39. Have you had a cantillon that you didn't like?

40. I found some batches of frambozenlambiek & faro to be lacking, those are not really “beers”. You often don’t even pay for them at the brewery. I do consider some of their beers to be overrated as in good but not that good. I think that too many people age Cantillon beers which should not be aged as used to tell people before they gave up.
    No, other than a few batches of the previous beers, I have not found any of their beers to be bad.

Yes I thought that Zwanze 2013 was a good beer, not spectacular or anything but a good beer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.