Raspberry Lambic questions

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by BeerDunson, Jun 17, 2013.

1. BeerDunson

BeerDunson Aficionado (180) Ohio Jul 20, 2012

I'm going to attempt a raspberry lambic, but I am confused on how to approach the fermentation, since pretty much all the information I've gathered is conflicting to each other. My first question is do I pitch the "wild" yeast initially or do I wait until I transfer to the secondary to pitch it. Also, do I add the raspberries to the secondary and how long should I let it go.
    Any help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks,
    BeerDunson

2. I like pitching all of the microbes together in primary. Bottle dregs from your favorite sours is nice too. Lambics traditionally aren't racked until it is time to blend or add fruit. This allows the Brett to use nutrients, sugars, and fatty acids from the dying Saccharomyces. One to two years, followed by two to three months on fruit. This is all assuming you want something dry, like a Cantillon, not sweet like a Lindemans.

3. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (545) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

For a Lambic I would pitch all the wild stuff right away and leave it alone for year (like that will actually happen, you will want to get in that carboy every 4 days and will have to resist, maybe pull a taste only when you drink a commercial sour beer and are adding the dregs to your carboy). If after a year it is stable for the FG and flavor is where you want it, rack on to the fruit.

4. BeerDunson

Awesome info, thank you both. And yes, the hardest part is going to be not drinking it for a year. Ha!

5. i just passed my 11 month anniversary on my 1st lambic. haven't even pulled a sample to taste. just smelled it.
    after the first few months, you forget about it.

6. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Whats the grain profiles/hops you guys used, if you dont mind sharing. Im starting to gather some info and plan one soon.

7. LostTraveler likes this.
  8. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (545) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

My first Lambic type beer is here, the second is here. First one had a lot more to it, Pils, Vienna, Flaked Wheat, Caravienne, Bobek hops, flour and coriander. The flavor hops are non existant, as is the coriander. Flour was for some added unconverted goodness, not sure if it did much at all. The second was a little more traditional, Pils, Flaked Wheat, aged hops, long boil, overnight open cooling, less oak.

LostTraveler likes this.
  9. BeerDunson

[quoteI "atomeyes, post: 1428297, member: 609792"]i just passed my 11 month anniversary on my 1st lambic. haven't even pulled a sample to taste. just smelled it.
    after the first few months, you forget about it.[/quote]
    Yeah, I plan on tucking it back in my crawl space and let it do its thing. Thanks again for the help everyone