1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Rasputin Floats

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by GardenWaters, Feb 25, 2013.

1. I saw these on North Coast's website and had to try one. Damn, these are delicious! Anyone else ever tried one?

2. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

I bet it would be even better with a Founders Breakfast Stout.

3. I made one with a FIS, cookies and cream ice cream, and shaved some chocolate over it with a cheese grater. It was an awesome dessert.

4. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

This is a great way for all the cry babies and Goose Island haters to salvage their "infected" Night Stalker.

5. The main thing is to remember the ice cream is going to magnify the flavors in the beer way more than you expect. For North Coast, I actually think Old Stock is a better choice, because of the sweetness. I had it with a mole pablano ice cream that was incredible! Also, beware of the head! Pour just a little beer in first to see the interaction. What I was saying about flavors being magnified though...if a beer is malty for example, it is going to become very bitter. So it is really important to pick the right ice creams. I think Sean Paxton would be the best person to discuss this with. The Home Brewed Chef knows how to pair!

Willbfun likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Bet it would go great with some burnt sugar ice cream ...

7. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Or a buffalo sweat with vanilla beans :)

8. Stouttyme

Stouttyme Savant (280) Nebraska Nov 17, 2011

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout floats owns all.

9. I did one with Founders Porter the other night on a whim. It was very good. Like the previous post said, watch out for head. I filled mind about 1/3 of the way. Also, the alcohol from the beer was more pronounced than I expected. But still pretty good.