Comment Rating beer since becoming a member.

Discussion in 'Site' started by themind, Sep 14, 2013.

1. themind

themind Savant (475) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

Since I have been on here I review the different beers I try as I drink them. I simply dont run thru beers with a quick rating to show a larger number of beers I have tried to make it like I am more experienced in beer drinking or something. I noticed one BA with 1227 beers tried and he has been a member since February 27 2012. At that rate unless he simply runs thru stuff he has tried and rates on memory he is trying 1.8 different beers every night for 673 straight days lol! now my math could be slightly off but in any case it's in that area and basically not possible unless it's your full time job. Now if I rated on memory I would have thousands also but it would not be accurate.

I am curious if I am in the minority of BA members that rate beers as I drink them only. I feel this is the best way to get an accurate BA score for a beer.

BEERchitect likes this.
  2. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (960) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I only rate beers as I drink them but I have reviewed roughly 1875 beers in approximately 1 year and 9 months - I pretty much buy singles and review a couple of beers most nights. Plus I have gone to a number of bottle shares amongst a small group of friends where we would go through 8 or so bombers every couple of Saturdays. I also added some beers I had reviewed in journals from notes as well...

Not sure why you think someone could not drink a little less than 2 beers a night (especially if it is really 1 per weeknight and a couple on each weekend evening) because you did not...

3. rdilauro

rdilauro Savant (365) Connecticut Mar 8, 2010

Sometimes I think my 200+ ratings in the last couple of years is a lot! Couldn't come close to that number of 1227.
    Most of my beer tasting/rating is done after we close the Wine/Liquor/Beer store. We try to taste anything we have recently brought in. So most of my first time tasting a beer and rating it is done at the store. Based on what I like, I will purchase more and have it at home or with some friends. I always go back to check my review to make sure the second and the third time are pretty much the same. I have found several situations in which I have changed my review either up/down.

This really isnt much different than my wine tasting experiences and at times spirit tastings

4. Don't forget, this person might just be using BA for different reasons than you are. Some people want all their beers in one place and consolidate their ratings from other sites or a notebook or something on here. Ratings should not be done based on memory, but that doesn't mean you can't go off notes. And this isn't Untappd where they more or less look down on entering previous hads. But hey, it's just beer. Cheers!

5. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (715) Florida Feb 16, 2012

Since January of 2012 I have had pretty much 1 new full beer each night rated on the other site. Many of those are bombers (approx 2 12 ouncers). I could see someone doing this without much problem honestly.

Granted I have not bought anything but new singles for most of the past 2 years now.

6. I've rated a few that I haven't had in a while. I remember them because I spit them out and make a promise never to drink that swill again. So I just don't rate as I drink them (that is what I usually do), but I also rate the beer that makes me belch when I hear the name.

7. When I lived in Brooklyn, I could have tried 10 new beers every night, if I had wanted. Between Spuyten Duyvil and The Blind Tiger alone, I could have 20 different beers a week. It's quite possible.

And yes, I always rate beers as I drink them. 99.9% of the time at least.

dar482 likes this.
  8. Bsetz

Bsetz Savant (295) Missouri Aug 29, 2013

I'll never understand why some members on here are so concerned with the drinking habits of other BA's. Everyone experiences beer in their own way. And that's the way it should be.

9. themind

No just different beers, some come in 4 packs and sixers.

10. themind

This was a question about when you rate a brew :)

11. Well said. I know a lot of people, myself included, that have a large backlog of notes that slowly get added. I once added 200+ reviews over the course of a few hours. I didn't drink any of those beers that day.

12. themind

Very cool

1000lbgrizzly likes this.
  13. dbrauneis

Many beers that come in 4 pack/6 pack format are sold as singles at some stores - that is how I generally purchase unless it is for a large gathering (family event).

14. themind

There are a million variables. Cheers!

15. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Savant (345) Colorado Dec 22, 2012

I could see 1200 beers in that timeframe. If you were getting all mixed bottles, sampling at bars and breweries, and maybe supplementing some older reviews, I think you could do it pretty easily. You'd spend a shitload of time acquiring, tasting, and reviewing beer, but hey, that doesn't sound so bad to me.

But, to answer your question, I do always review while sampling. Personally I drink a lot of the same things and don't always write reviews...I almost always drink beer, though.

16. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I have rated 330+ beers in just over a year. But I assure you I have consumed well over 2,000 beers in that time. When I find beer I like, I drink 6-12 bottles of it easily. I sure do love beer!

themind likes this.
  17. Jadjunk

Jadjunk Savant (365) Georgia Dec 6, 2009

2 beers a night isn't all that unreasonable for somebody who works 8 hours a day and does next to nothing in the evening. In my case it would be damn near impossible... but maaaaan would I love it as a job.

18. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I think we need to make a distinction between "rating" a beer and "reviewing" a beer. The former does nothing except add a dubious number to be crunched into a beer's overall rating, the latter tells us what the beer is actually like and possibly the thought process of the reviewer.

boddhitree likes this.
  19. Of course I only rate as I drink. Maybe other rate beers from notes they've taken? Don't judge people until you know their story.

themind likes this.
  20. I will say I question the number of beers I have in any given period, but I usually enjoy beer with a friend, and when visiting a new place, we usually get a flight which is a good 5 beers, from which I (personally) rarely rate all; if someone did, however, they could rack up a bunch of beer ratings quickly.

To further your argument, however, having a place or being in an area that offers such a wide selection of beer is not available to all. Neither is having the $$ to try a good number of higher dollar offerings (and imports).

Also, I value reviews (even when I disagree with them) because I can see what someone thought and noticed. Reviewing takes some effort, IMHO, and I think If the high volume raters are doing full reviews, I say more power to them.

DrewLikesBeer likes this.
  21. dbrauneis

Well personally I have reviewed a large number of beers (averaging like 2 a night) in a similar timeframe as what the OP referenced as being not possible.

22. mudbug

You sir are a shining example of what makes this site special, and I commend you on your informative reviews. I just don't want someone with a load of hads chiming in and saying they do large amounts of "reviews" in a short time, when all they did was a minimal "tick"

dbrauneis likes this.
  23. themind

Thats awesome! lol I cant run at that pace.

24. I was curious about my stats, so I did some math.

Since I joined on 3/18/10, my average beers per day until now is ~3.54.

Fancy that.

25. JoeAmerican77

JoeAmerican77 Savant (390) Colorado Oct 11, 2009

Concur I do OP, I only review beers on here that I either take notes on and bring back to type, or type the review as I drink it. I hate to admit it but the reason I joined BA in the first place was because people were forced to dig down into the beers they drank and truly review them. Like a study. Because of that I felt I could really trust average ratings on beers on this site.

I am proud of the hard work I put into all the beers I reviewed. And I stand by my ratings on them. KHAAAAAAN!!!

corby112 and themind like this.
  26. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I don''t know how to feel about this, upset because you tried to be funny so unsuccessfully, or upset because this actually might be the truth.

Yes, many folks do.

JoeAmerican77 likes this.
  27. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Wouldn't you think it's possible that person could attend many tastings where several beers are shared (with a group he happened to establish)? Or go to bars that offer half pours of beers? That person would also annotate his rating of those beers as he goes, if he's a ticker.

Is it really that tough of a concept to comprehend?

28. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Since I fit the description of the person the op is talking about I'll explain how I did it. Before joining BA I drank beer and rated them using something called a spreadsheet using a program called excel made by microsoft. When I joined BA I decided to use the site to track my beers so I carried the ratings over. This was a very complicated process that involved clicking mouse buttons.

But yes there are times I take notes and add to BA later and when possible I get smaller pours.

Any other questions let me know themind.

Cheers.

Bsetz, themind and richardflyr like this.
  29. As Bsetz says above don't be too concerned about other folks and how they review/rate beers.

Here's another way of looking at it :-

A lot of people simply appreciate the score of a beer so they can quantify what the 'best/top' beers are by style etc. Whatever your own view on this, lets face it beer shops and stores like to apply the numbers on their shelves from both BA and RB for this purpose.
    A smaller number but still plenty of folks will also read a review, from my experience particularly if they are making an expensive purchase, to get a bit more in depth knowledge.

Now if you wanted to blow some big $$$ on a beer where would you place your trust ?

In person A who has reviewed 300 beers in 3 years, of course they may well have had many more but you only know that they've had 300, numbers talk in this game - lets face it. They may well write 800 word essays on all of the beers they've drunk in good English and with the authority of a well versed author, however fact remains they 'may' have had just 300 beers in their beer drinking career.

Person B has rattled off 3,000 reviews in 3 years, lots of festivals, tastings, small pours etc. As you'd expect their notes are far removed from the verbose eloquence of person A, maybe a couple of lines on aroma, taste, mouthfeel etc, no great work of the author - lets face it they couldn't have found the time to write in depth reviews on all of those beers.

Here's where I stand if I'm looking for a recommendation on a special beer which involves big $$$.

I'd rather take the opinion of someone with 3,000 reviews, regardless of brevity, than someone with 300 reviews, well worded and 40 lines long. At the end of the day person B with 3,000 reviews has (again we can only go by the stats we see) been exposed to a lot more beer, chances of more bests in style, more brewers etc etc.

Person A just won't have the same level of experience to hold their beers up against when assigning a score. They may well believe that the 24th imperial stout they review is a 5.0, yet there are thousands more they've yet to encounter. After 240 imperial stouts it may be plain for them to see that that particular one was really only a 3.8, there are infact lots that outscore it through the experience of drinking more and more beers from that style.

As such I'd be looking at the scores from the people with the most experience in drinking different beer over the people who write reviews in depth. If you can find people who tick both boxes - even better, but I imagine these are few and far between.

Everyone will have their own ideas and thoughts, sure there are probably people who make reviews up, copy and paste other folks reviews etc etc, don't understand styles and how they are meant to taste but I stress again numbers do play a big part in this world of beer, the bigger the number (higher the score) the more prestige a beer holds and often this tallies with a bigger price.

I trust the opinions (in general) of people with a bigger number of reviews and experience of tasting more beers.

This is my opinion, other views are of course available !

Bsetz and corby112 like this.
  30. you writing a book, brah?

31. themind

No it's not, thanks.

32. I've been a member for almost five years and entered my first two reviews today. If I wanted to sit down and enter all of the beers I've kept tasting notes on over the years... I could honestly have somewhere around 2300 ratings in a matter of weeks. I have no plans to do this, but I don't feel it would be dishonest if I did.

33. mudbug

"Here's where I stand if I'm looking for a recommendation on a special beer which involves big $$$.

I'd rather take the opinion of someone with 3,000 reviews, regardless of brevity, than someone with 300

I trust the opinions (in general) of people with a bigger number of reviews and experience of tasting more beers.

This is my opinion, other views are of course available ![/quote]"

An interesting point of view. But the problem I have with putting any credence on Had tickers is that you have no Idea why they rated a beer thusly, none. For all you know they could just be impressed with the label art. Without an insight into their thinking all you have is a number and there is nothing for you to compare that number with since you have no idea what that number represents. Again you see the flaw in your idea here in that you have also no idea how many beers the person that only has a few reviews has sampled. It may very well be that person has sampled thousands more beers than the high "ticker"
    No, even a brief review describing the beer is far more useful than a "score".

cavedave likes this.
  34. "

An interesting point of view. But the problem I have with putting any credence on Had tickers is that you have no Idea why they rated a beer thusly, none. For all you know they could just be impressed with the label art. Without an insight into their thinking all you have is a number and there is nothing for you to compare that number with since you have no idea what that number represents. Again you see the flaw in your idea here in that you have also no idea how many beers the person that only has a few reviews has sampled. It may very well be that person has sampled thousands more beers than the high "ticker"
    No, even a brief review describing the beer is far more useful than a "score".[/quote]

As with any review you can only trust that the number means something. I'm not particularly interested in why people rate beers - I just presume it because of their collecting mentality. Sure you'll get some folks who enter whacky reviews eg 5.0 for Bud Light, 0.7 for Pliny the Elder but these are flash in the pan folks who will quickly get bored of entering stupid reviews.

I'm focussing here on people who have bothered to rate upwards of say 2,000 beers. Because they have bothered to progress their collecting interests this far I will simply trust them on their own scoring methods, words or otherwise.

I know people who have a great palate for tasting beers but aren't wordsmiths. I've read in depth reviews on BA and thought ' really ? Are you really raving over beer xyz, there are dozens upon dozens better out there for that style '.

I never criticse peoples reviews - each to their own but my opinion won't be swayed in that I prefer to take a score from someone who has experienced a lot of beer (and again I did stress you can only go by the numbers people have entered in the database) over a lengthy review from someone, who on paper, seems inexperienced in terms of the range of beers they have reviewed or had.

35. mudbug

I get what you are saying here, but let me illustrate a point about reviews verses had ticks. Take for example (and it only took me a few seconds to find this, there are innumerable more)
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25957/78098/?show_hads=Y
    Now without reading the two reviews listed what do you think that amber ale is like? The score says very good but the 2 people that bothered to review it don't seem to agree with that score at all. I'd put a lot more weight on those two reviews, wouldn't you?

36. dbrauneis

Not currently but I have considered it... I enjoy the creative outlet of writing and beer is definitely a hobby.

themind likes this.
  37. Yes - I can see the point you're illustrating here but it doesn't necessarily mean the guys who wrote the reviews were right and the others wrong !

Personally I only get down to reading any level of detail or review if the beer is going to cost me say $10+ and the scores are borderline and I'm unfamiliar with the brewer.

For your average amber or brown ale like this it doesn't really trouble me what score it gets or who says what so long as it's coming in at say 78/79 +.

38. dbrauneis

Having done both Hads and Full Reiviews, I generally look at full reviews when beer shopping so I get an idea of the flavors in the beer rather than just a score.

39. themind

Not dishonest at all I was simply looking for opinions. Cheers!

40. I usually only drink beer one, at most two nights a week. But if I go to a local beer bar I might have two flights of 4 beers each. So I'm drinking about 40 ounces but reviewing 8 beers. If I didn't work60 hours a week I could review 30 beers a week easy. That's 1500 a year. Wait a minute, I work too much!

themind likes this.