1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Rating beer since becoming a member.

Discussion in 'Site' started by themind, Sep 14, 2013.

1. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Well, here is where your argument has trouble. You can presume what you want, but it will be evident in some reviews why that person reviews, and it will be evident in some reviews if that person has the motive and palate to offer you meaningful info. For hads, though, that, and everything else possible to communicate, is missing completely.

While to you it doesn't matter if a person is just a ticker, the specific term for a beer user who has a "collecting mentality", one is left to wonder why you use reviews? I use them for helpful info to make informed buying decisions. For me hads are less than useless to accomplish that purpose. And reading a person's reviews can give you insight into whether that reviewer, whether he has reviewed 30, 300, 3000, or 3,000,000 beers, has anything of value to offer to you. A ticker with 1 had or 10,000 hads provides a product equally as useful, which is to say completely useless, as all the others.

kemoarps likes this.
  2. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Spreadsheet FTW.

3. Yup! It may seem silly to some to keep a spreadsheet in this day and age when we have sites like BA and apps like Untappd to track this stuff for us, but one thing my spreadsheet has that I've not seen on any web sites or apps is a column that simply asks "Would seek out again? Y/N." There are few beers out there I'd go out of my way to drink again or would drink again over any other available options and those beers get a "Y." Everything else (even most beers I gave high scores to) get a "N."

TheMonkfish likes this.
  4. Firstly it wasn't set out to be an argument, simply my opinion, of which others are of course readily available!

I did state that I don't use reviews very often, just occasioanlly with brewers I'm unfamiliar with or beers that have borderline scores and if the price point is reasonable I'll take a punt anyway.

I know quite a few folk who have ticked 10K beers and upwards. These guys tend to write brief notes and short reviews some just tick (their own records and not on line anywhere) . I trust their experience in terms of an overall score, as I stated before, than someone with a few hundred reviews and an in depth write up. These guys have drunk a huge spectrum of beers, I trust their judgement.

When I talk about short reviews, I'm taking of the kind you find on RB, so a step up from simply ticking but not usually the same detail as BA reviews. However I stand by the fact that I'd take a simple score off someone with thousands of hads over a review from someone with a few hundred.

Again, my opinion, not telling anyone how to do things - you play your own game out in the world of beer !

kemoarps and cavedave like this.
  5. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (460) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

ive been moving my back-dated reviews, but opted to just stick with the numbers, i dont have the time to do full reviews.

6. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

That's exactly what I do. I have a 1-100 score for the beer and a "retry?" column. I couple of the No's that I end up trying again and still not liking get a No squared. :) Works great as a quick reference while on the phone, I can run stats on it, etc.

7. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Entrusting your data to yourself is the opposite of silly :)

If people don't have a back-up they could potential lose all their reviews/ticks/etc. when a site like BA has a database go tits up/site closes/etc.

Anyways, I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I just wanted to say those of us who use spreadsheets do so with good reason. cheers!

SoCalBeerIdiot likes this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Which is why I'd love a way to export from BA to something like excel or google docs. Most of the beers I drink are logged here and if the site ever crashed bad enough (they say everything is backed up) it could all be lost and then I would be reset to 0 and have to start my ticking adventure all over again.

9. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

You mention that like it's a bad thing.

10. scotorum

scotorum Savant (400) Massachusetts May 28, 2013

Although I have been drinking beer for fifty years, I am a relative newbie to craft beer and rating/reviewing, having begun buying craft regularly only last May, and joining BA at the end of that month. I am 67 years old and realize that my senses are not what they once were. But they are far from dead, and I still know what I like.

I decided last Spring to try as many craft beers as I could, perhaps eventually settling on a few for each season to drink regularly. I began rating to narrow down the possibilities for future regular consumption.

Reviews were written to note special characteristics, and for others' information. I figured if I could tell that something was special in some way, others might find that opinion useful.

However I quickly realized that the array of different products is almost unfathomly enormous. I discovered that it is both possible and exciting to keep trying new ones.

To bring myself up to speed as a beer shopper, consumer, rater and reviewer, I read a lot. Yankee Brew News comes out every two months in my region, and is free at some stores. I subscribed to All About Beer and Beer Advocate magazines. And I bought and have read most of Randy Mosher's Tasting Beer book. Of course I also joined BA, checked out the lists, and have read as many of reviews and forums as I could.

This forum topic about BA listing the deviance of reviewer's reviews from a norm or average, and a comment above about newbies overrating beers they would have perhaps rated much lower if they had more experience trying more examples in a category, inspired this comment and some research. I reviewed the 203 beers I have tried and listed on BA. I did not do the math on actual deviance from 0, . Nor did I bother to divide them into categories, only noting whether each of my ratings and reviews was above or below 0

The results suggested that I do in fact tend to overrate beers I have tried compared to overall BA ratings. Of the 203, I have rated or reviewed 119 above 0% deviance, and only 81 below, with 3 right at 0.

One odd note is that in dividing the list into fifty at a time (the number displayed on each BA "Beers" page) my latest fifty ratings were the most skewed, 33 rated above the average for the beer, only 15 below, with 2 right on the average. However, the previous fifty was a dead even 25-25. It will be interesting to see whether future ratings bring down the overall positive 9.36% deviation in the first 203.

11. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

It is...I mean how would you like your ePeen to just shrivel up to nothing? It's emasculating. :p

12. I review a beer here and there, mostly shortly after drinking it. On one recent occasion I went back to NY Eve 2011 to rate a remarkable beer that others were not too fond of here. There is no right or wrong when it comes to taste, and all of our tastes differ considerably, so never let a bad review dissuade you from trying something new!

13. bpasquini

bpasquini Savant (285) California Feb 26, 2013

I only write full reviews on beers as I am drinking them, I find it difficult to remember every characteristic in a beer that could persuade another fellow BA to want to try the beer that I reviewed if I write it when I'm not drinking said beer

14. themind

themind Savant (475) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

Thats how I am but I would keep a note book if I was at a tasting or something.

bpasquini likes this.