1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Re-Capping Bombers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by alysmith4, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Is there any good way to do this? I want to open up a bottle of Suucaabaa, and would like to enjoy it over the course of several nights (okay, two ;)). Is there a good way to re-cap a bomber? I have a decent wine stopper I was thinking of using, but I'm not sure how well this'll work. My other idea was to pour it into a growler since that has a nice screw-cap, but I think the transfer would aerate/de-carbonate it too much (unless I went totally overboard and used a racking cane haha).

Any idears?
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  2. Do you bottle your homebrews? Just re-cap it with your bottle capper. (I have no idea if this would work lol). Ive never done it but people say the wine stopper method can buy you a day.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  3. Drink it in one night and be a man (just kidding). But, you're over thinking this. Wine stopper works just fine. I've done it many times.
    Thickfreakness and alysmith4 like this.
  4. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

I've had okay luck with a the recorker I use. It's just one of the plugs and not the ones that pump the air out, I've had good luck with just storing it in the fridge for a night. Much longer than that and no dice.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  5. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Use some swing top bottles
    NWer and alysmith4 like this.
  6. I don't think there really is much you can do without some sort of deterioration. But I could be wrong. Have you ever had Sucaba? Uuuuuuuuuh-yer gunnawanna drink uh-tha whole thang.
  7. If you eant to enjoy it over two nights, buy two bottles.
  8. If you kept the cap flat, put it back on and it'll stay good for 2 days or so. Or invite me over and we'll just finish it. Let's not take a chance.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  9. aslamm75

aslamm75 Savant (285) Indiana Nov 6, 2009

I bought a cheap bottle capper and some bottle caps from a home brew store for about $15 total and that provides about 100 or more bottle caps. One site did a study and showed that re-capped beer was basically unchanged up to four days. Once you get to 7 days there will be a drop off in carbonation and then further out a drop off in taste. I did all of this for the exact same reason as you, I can't drink a full bomber of some 12% ABV by myself. See the link below:
    http://www.bottlemark.com/info/recapping
    Hop_juice, alysmith4 and jcreegan like this.
  10. bound4er

bound4er Savant (435) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

alysmith4 likes this.
  11. I bottle my homebrew in swing-top bottles, blast!
  12. Yes, I've had the Suucaabaa, and I'm hooked. Any more than 10ish ounces though, I get a lil' cray-cray.
    Spaghett and fujindemon74 like this.
  13. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Fill it as full as you can get it and cap it. You will be golden. I do this all the time.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  14. That's about the dozenth time I've been told to "man-up" (or bro-it-out, etc. etc.) on here. I'm thinking it might be time to change my profile pic.. to something that showcases my boobs.
    highdesertdrinker and aslamm75 like this.
  15. Just wanted to like this twice :).
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  16. Oops, sorry. I didn't look at your picture. Most of them are not even of ourselves. For example, I'm not really karate dojo prick John Kreese from Karate Kid ( nor am I a doctor, as my screen name suggests). At least I said I was kidding!
    fujindemon74 and alysmith4 like this.
  17. I don't think showcasing boobs has ever been a bad idea. Now women up and pour the whole thing into a beer bong!
  18. MarkJBurch

MarkJBurch Savant (485) New York Jun 24, 2012

Bottle capper works very well, I just use the cap that came with the bottle. And they come in black... :D
    alysmith4 likes this.
  19. I'm so disappointed you're not John Kreese. I can hear you saying, "FINISH HIM!" (referring to the Sucaba :))
    fujindemon74 and DrStiffington like this.
  20. I use rabbit stoppers:

[​IMG]
    sommersb, chocosushi and alysmith4 like this.
  21. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I'd wonder if a ball jar would hold some pressure if you seal it off. I'd think there are some advocates that prefer this glassware anyway.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  22. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

alysmith4 likes this.
  23. Dude, it's Sucaba.
    How do you not drink the whole bottle in one episode?
  24. Must read entire thread before posting. You're way behind, little man ;).
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  25. This is bad?
  26. Mm.. not necessarily o_O.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  27. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Get a five gallon plastic bucket, put an inch of water in it and set the unfinished bomber in the water, drop in a few ounces of dry ice, as it evaporates in the water it will give off a cloud of CO2 wait for the fog to cover the bottle for a few min. then put the cork in it. Voila! supercooled with a nice layer of CO2 in the headspace. Let me know if this works because I've never had an unfinished bomber (with the unfortunate exception of a certain pink bottle)
  28. He did it for the lulz
  29. Oh I'll put a cork in it alright. :rolleyes:
  30. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Just try and leave more than half of it in there and cork it. Don't listen to people saying to use the original cap again as it won't hold in any pressure.

Sucaba isn't a very carbonated beer to begin with however, so don't worry about it, you won't miss much even if it goes flat.
    Also a risky strategy would be to keep it uncapped in the fridge set to extra cold. The reason for this is a carbonated beverage will hold on to some carbonation for a day or two at fridge temperatures, I do it with big energy drinks all the time. The reason I say to keep it uncorked is so that as the air trapped inside cools, it won't suck out the remaining carbonation.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  31. that's definitely not bro-ing it up!!!
    alysmith4 likes this.
  32. alysmith4 likes this.
  33. http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...vin-dont-use-one-for-beer.74005/#post-1050160
    alysmith4 likes this.
  34. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

I enjoy my rabbit corks for bombers, 12oz bottles, 750s, etc.

[​IMG]

keeps it tasty for up to 5 days.

Bed/Bath/Beyond 2.99 per 2-pack
    alysmith4 likes this.
  35. Yes, these are also good
  36. nhindian

nhindian Savant (370) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2010

I use a champagne stopper

[​IMG].

Works like a charm for a few days.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  37. haknort

haknort Savant (265) Illinois Apr 10, 2013

And whatever you cork it with, chill it immediately. I've found that the cooler you keep the beer, the less CO2 it loses.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  38. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Oh really? Tell me one reason this method wouldn't work
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  39. I can't, that's what makes it funny.
    mudbug likes this.
  40. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

Get a Grolsch or other small flip top bottle. Open the bomber, fill the flip top full, cap it, fridge it, enjoy what's left in the bomber.
    alysmith4 likes this.