1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Re-extraing

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by maximumu13, Jan 28, 2013.

1. maximumu13

maximumu13 Aficionado (185) Ohio Aug 31, 2010

I was just packing up a couple of boxes, and as I was trying to pick out extras it got me thinking, have any of you guys have sent beers you got as extras to other traders as extras. Was it because it was something you've had and liked or because you didn't want to drink it? Is this inappropriate to do? Just curious.
    Cheers!

dakkon54 likes this.
  2. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

It depends upon the intent. Let me present a hypothetical situation here:

I trade with trader X who includes some regular/seasonal beers (e.g. APA, Octoberfest) from his local brewery that's not talked about much but he believes I would enjoy. If I think that they ain't any good because no one talks about them, and I extra them forward, then I am a douche-bag. By the time the next guy gets them, neither are they fresh, and nor am I honoring the intent of trader X.

On the other hand, if trader X knows how much I love BCBS and sends me a few, and I extra some of it forward to Y because it's on his Wants, I am just sharing the love.

TL;DR: If you have to ask...

Dactrius, JxExM, Auror and 8 others like this.
  3. dmoser

dmoser Aficionado (140) California Sep 11, 2009

extrAs are always a plus, that's why they are extras

4. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

If I receive an extra,I appreciate it,period. I don't care where the hell it came from. Additionally,once you receive a beer you were given in trade as an extra or otherwise,it's your damn beer to do with as you want.
    I wouldn't give a crap if you used the extras I sent you for target practice nor should anyone else give a sht what I do or do not with theirs.

calcnerd and BeerBuddy2122 like this.
  5. Nailed it!

6. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

If I send you something with fairly common distribution which you may have had before, do whatever you want with it, because its now your beer.

If I send you something that is a local TX only beer, that doesnt get distributed out of the state, that I know you haven't had, and that I went out of my way to hunt down for you, drink that goddamn beer.

Thats my rules.

7. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (410) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I don't care what people do with the beer I send them.

I feel bad about sending beers I've received as extras, but the only times I've done that was when the extras were beers I already had multiple of. If someone sends me locals I've never had, I'm drinking them.

8. richardflyr

richardflyr Savant (400) Virginia Jul 28, 2009

I drink all my extras (at least so far) so it hasn't been an issue. That being said, I figure as long as you don't send the extras back to the person that sent them to you, (and the beer is still good) you're in good shape!

9. Only time i've done that is because it fell into the following scenario: I got a Backwoods Bastard as an extra, and i've had it many times. The guy that I was currently trading with had it on his wants so I pulled the trigger and sent it on to him, if that makes me a bad person... so be it.

10. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (655) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Bingo. I've done this before and I don't have a problem with it at all.

11. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Shared your Backwoods Bastard? No, you couldn't have, the horror. You, sir, are a bad, bad man.

12. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

I drink them all, however if I see it's on someone's wants list and it isn't on mine, I feel they'll enjoy it more than I will..if it's an IPA though, I drink it regardless because I don't want to send bad beer.

13. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

not really re-extraing them, but sometimes when I get an extra (or beers from the people I trustee for) I have had a lot or a currently have a bunch of the same one I will give one to my neighbor, friend, co-worker, or even dog walker if it is something I think they might like.

I hope this doesn't offend the people who give me the beers. I always make sure I have had the beer first, if not a few times. If I do give the beer to someone it does not mean I don't appreciate it, I just like making other people happy too.

14. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

i once received an extra that was an imperial stout. i've had it before but i planned on drinking it. threw it in the fridge. on another trade i was doing, was checking what extras i could give. i check my cellar, my plan to drink stuff and then my fridge. that one imperial stout i planned on drinking? i ended up giving it up as an extra (among other shit) only because i've had it before, i enjoyed it already and the new trader didn't have distro for the imperial stout i planned on drinking.
    am i a douche bag?

15. No.

16. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

I avoid this problem by not sending extras.

JxExM, FTowne, ravot and 8 others like this.
  17. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

AtFirstIwasLikeButThenIwasLike-meme.jpg.

18. When I was trading, I did it a few times, or the bottles would get opened with other beer people at tastings.

19. I will always drink my extras, unless I've had it before and thought it was really good. If I've had it before and though it was ok I'm not sending. I only send stuff I really enjoy myself, as I feel that's the point of extras. Now saying that I've gotten plenty of extras that made me scratch my head, like they just made a pick 6 out of random stuff they don't want, but then I give them the benefit of the doubt and think maybe they really like these brown ales and wheat beers and that's why they sent them.

20. If the trader seemed to put thought in it I would say drink up/share with someone. If not then just drink them when too drunk to care.